19 LONG days over. What would you do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Agggrhhh! I really cannot believe that I am still here.  Does anyone read this board any more or is everyone now on the FB group? 

Ok, so what do I do? 

1. Wait patiently for the fruit to fall from the tree, be nice and zen, do the little ultrasounds to check baby is ok, and calmly wait for the new world record for longest gestation?  No need to intervene if there is no medical problem right?

2. Try castor oil tomorrow.  Midwife put back her appointment a day, yay, was so happy, so she will be here to encourage me on to interventions again tomorrow afternoon.  I have invited her and her student to watch "The Business of Being Born" with us, and she thinks that sounds like great fun.  So that is good.  But do I give in and go the castor oil?  I would start out light.  I have done gallbladder cleanses so I can't imagine this being worse, but of course I don't want to upset the baby.   I shall ask her to try to strip my membranes again, but it still feels like my cervix is a million miles away. 

3. Go in for the prostaglandin gel, making sure it is not cyotec.  Get minimum monitoring.  Have to ask midwife what happens if baby's heart rate does drop, is that an instant csection? 

Anyway, I have done the osteo adjustments, acupuncture, blue cohosh, EPO, red raspberrry, pineapple, curries, sex, several miles of walking every day, hypnosis baby come out, positive visualisation, and, oh, maybe a few other things I have forgotten. 

Baby is still nice and active, so I feel everything is ok there, but I just don't understand why he/she has not come out yet!  Are there any problems that I should get checked?  I lost my first part of my plug at 37 weeks and have had good runs of cramping and BH since then.  That is 5 long weeks of thinking baby will come!!!  Is there something wrong with me or do I just have a slow cooker?

I have not had a child before so it is hard to believe that I ever will ever go into labor at this point. Just baffled.  Any positive articles about post date babies are appreciated, I am researching like crazy here.  What would you do?  What should I do?  Gosh, sorry to harp on this but I really like this group and I feel like a two headed monster at the moment and am just clinging to this board for dear life!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#2 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 02:08 PM

I'm so sorry--I would be going absolutely nuts. I am afraid of castor oil myself, so I would do #3, personally. At 19 days over (and you're sure of your dates, right?), I don't think a gentle medical induction is an unreasonable idea.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#3 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks noraflood!  Oh and I forgot to add that the baby is a bit high, in right position but too high so teh midwife could not reach when we tried a membrane sweep.

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#4 of 13 Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM

wow mamma, what a trip you and this babe are on!!!  I've been thinking about you often and hoping for your baby's arrival!

I want to be able to offer you some guidance...but really I don't know what I would do in your situation...I would likely want to keep waiting for baby to pick it's birthing day, but the pressure to bring on labour might get kind of intense.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/timely.asp (not the one I was thinking of but something of interest)

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/datesppr.html another useful one

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/overdue.htm#links and this one has some great stories of post due mammas

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#5 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 AM

I vote #1. Editing to add: Maybe have them check the baby's cord on the u/s to make sure she isn't tangled up in it or something.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#6 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Good luck!  I don't really know what I'd do being that far over.  I did some reading on castor oil myself when I was late, and from what I could find about its mechanism of action, I'm fairly sure it can't affect the baby's bowels.  So it might be uncomfortable, but probably not unsafe.

#7 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Thinking of you today...sending you lots of going into labour vibes!!!!love.gif

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#8 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

DDCC, but I'd probably go for the prostaglandin gel too.  Whether or not a drop in heart rate is an instant section is going to depend on a lot of things - how deep or long a drop, how the baby responds to resuscitation attempts, and various other unpredictable factors, as well as hospital policies.

Forty-three weeks is just too long a pregnancy for me.  I don't feel that it's necessarily safe, and I would worry a great deal about whether I hadn't gone into labor because of some undetectable problem that was keeping the baby from engaging, like a short cord, or a baby getting more and more tangled up in a normal-length one,

#9 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM

__

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#10 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM

DDCC to offer some hugs and support...

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#11 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

DDCC, but I'd probably go for the prostaglandin gel too.  Whether or not a drop in heart rate is an instant section is going to depend on a lot of things - how deep or long a drop, how the baby responds to resuscitation attempts, and various other unpredictable factors, as well as hospital policies.

Forty-three weeks is just too long a pregnancy for me.  I don't feel that it's necessarily safe, and I would worry a great deal about whether I hadn't gone into labor because of some undetectable problem that was keeping the baby from engaging, like a short cord, or a baby getting more and more tangled up in a normal-length one,

Cord issues scare the bejeeeezus out of me. You have been doing the on again, off again labor thing, right?

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#12 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM

DDCC. I would probably go for option #3 at this point. I hope you are holding your baby sooner rather than later smile.gif

erika w/ds geek.gif(10.5), ddhearts.gif(8.5), dss sleepytime.gif(3.5)
Missing angel2.gif9/1/10 @ 15 weeks, and angel.gif2/14/11 @ 13 weeks
#13 of 13 Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

DDCC

Just wanted to add that babies in my family come late...my baby sis was born at 43-ish weeks and both of my kids went "overdue".  Ds2 was born at 42+3, and he was perfectly healthy.  But my water broke on a Monday morning and I had no contractions for about 36 hours.  When the contractions finally did start, it was real labor  He was born just after midnight on Wednesday morning.  If I was having on again/off again cx for 5 wks (if I read it right), I would want to know why. 

I did castor oil with ds2 and I personally don't recommend it.  He had very heavy mec and it scared the hospital staff.  I had to fight really hard to avoid losing him to the NICU. 

Best wishes for a safe and satisfying delivery!

Bring back the old MDC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page