"How far along are you?" (x-posted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cross-posted in I'm Pregnant

I'm confused! I got my first BFP on Saturday, 14 days after my suspected date of ovulation. This made me think I was "2 weeks along". But now I've done a little bit of reading, and it said you count it from your last period.

So in other words, if my LMP started on April 8th, it means that I'm currently at the end of my fifth week??? Is this true?

Sorry, I suck at calculations and would love it if someone could help me out (I won't see my doctor until Monday). Does that mean my first trimester will be over on July 1??

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 PM

Yes, you count the two weeks before you O'd as being pregnant. Technically most people don't O on day 14 so that's why due dates tend to get all screwy plus babies don't necessarily bake exactly 9 lunar months. I guess they do this for a uniform way of calculating. I have no idea when I O'd this time because I stopped charting after my miscarriage so even though my due date is 1/1/11, I know that's probably not even close to true but my babies bake long even the ones that I did O right around day 14. Good luck figuring it all out!

homebirth.jpgMama to 4 girls and forever missing Bright 6/12/10. Married to my best friend and dreaming of the day we leave the city for chicken3.gif
#3 of 9 Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 PM

I was just thinking about this today. Basically, it means that all women are 2 weeks pregnant until they get pregnant, right??

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#4 of 9 Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
myk

yup. gestational age is fetal age plus 2 weeks. i am therefore 4 weeks pg, having conceived a couple weeks ago

January 2011
#5 of 9 Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 PM

yes, when you get BFP, you are at 4 weeks.

Last time, my periods were longer than the 28 days they use to calculate the date. I knew when I conceived, and I knew I was due on April 11 (somewhere close). Well my OB keep saying I was due April 5th and I kept correcting her and she said "you don't know your conception date" I really did and I knew my periods where longer than 28 days. So I was actually induced 3 days early for being past my due date

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#6 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
yes, when you get BFP, you are at 4 weeks.

Last time, my periods were longer than the 28 days they use to calculate the date. I knew when I conceived, and I knew I was due on April 11 (somewhere close). Well my OB keep saying I was due April 5th and I kept correcting her and she said "you don't know your conception date" I really did and I knew my periods where longer than 28 days. So I was actually induced 3 days early for being past my due date
This happens all the time with OBs. And the worst part is, 40 weeks is NOT your "DUE" date even though they call it that, because the normal range of fullterm human gestation is in fact 38-42 weeks, and 40 is merely the midpoint of that. So my EDD of Jan 15 actually translates, in real terms, to a range of possible dates that are still normal, neither early nor late, of Jan 1-Jan 29! So "Any time in January" is accurate and normal.
Now, to go outside of the average woman and the norms generated by her, we can look at the many, many women who routinely go into labor AFTER 42 weeks. Many OBs would have you believe that their babies were somehow in danger, even though many of them had vernix still at those dates! What does that tell you?

It's so sad, what a difference an ocean makes. If you lived in the Netherlands, you would never have been pressured to allow the doc to induce you (they can't force you, but they sure can threaten and coerce, and many women don't even realize they have any say in the matter) because there, a pregnant woman at 41 weeks gestation is just another pregnant woman, no cause for alarm.

It's so unfair, that on this side of the ocean, women who homebirth have even made a "45 week club" yet anyone who sees an OB will likely get fed misinformation on the necessity of inducing at or before 40 weeks. I am sure most of the OBs believe it themselves, having never gone overseas to practice, nor had any experience of normal, natural, spontaneous labors beyond 40, because of course they call for inductions, so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

40ish homeschool.gif trekkie.gif guitar.gifhbac.gifnovaxnocirc.gif raising 3 kids with the help of their loving father.

#7 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 AM

If you're 4 weeks 4 days would you be correct to say that you are in your fifth week? I always get soo confused by all of this stuff.

Anjuli, SAHM to B (5-20-2008) and Wife to B (6-28-2006)
EDD 1/14/2011
#8 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Good question.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#9 of 9 Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchynerd View Post
This happens all the time with OBs. And the worst part is, 40 weeks is NOT your "DUE" date even though they call it that, because the normal range of fullterm human gestation is in fact 38-42 weeks, and 40 is merely the midpoint of that. So my EDD of Jan 15 actually translates, in real terms, to a range of possible dates that are still normal, neither early nor late, of Jan 1-Jan 29! So "Any time in January" is accurate and normal.

It's so unfair, that on this side of the ocean, women who homebirth have even made a "45 week club" yet anyone who sees an OB will likely get fed misinformation on the necessity of inducing at or before 40 weeks. I am sure most of the OBs believe it themselves, having never gone overseas to practice, nor had any experience of normal, natural, spontaneous labors beyond 40, because of course they call for inductions, so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Well I will add (not that this makes a difference at all) but her rational was that I was AMA. So apparently my placenta would start degrading after my "due" date, which wasn't even my due date at all. Still wrong, but it's why I got the added pressure

Sorry to hijax the OP!

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page