Roll call: Homebirthers! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 130 Old 06-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigfam View Post
So you ladies that have experience with hb...would you have a 3.5 year old there?

Big momma
I would let her be there if she wants. Meaning I would definitely have someone there that was solely there for her. That way if she is having a hard time or doesn't want to be there they could take her somewhere else. My DD was almost 1.5 when my second DD was born. She saw her come out and was totally fine, but you never know!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#122 of 130 Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I am not sure if DD will be there though, she can go to my cousins house or I can have a friend come over to watch her. I am not sure what will be the best. So you ladies that have experience with hb...would you have a 3.5 year old there?
It is not something I would be comfortable with but you know your own child and yourself best. My comfort level was around age six. My oldest dd joined us last time and we had a midwife-in-training there as her helper. She did pretty well but mostly played in her room the whole time until pushing stage.

#123 of 130 Old 06-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Set up my first prenatal appointment: July 2nd. I'll be 11 weeks on the dot and hope my midwife will be able to pick up the heartbeat with her doppler. This pregnancy doesn't seem too real yet so I hope hearing the heartbeat will resolve that.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#124 of 130 Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM

we had our 3.5 year old at our last birth, which was a homebirth. my mom was there with her the whole time. she spent my labor in the living room and her playroom and then was in the room for the birth, just watching. she was amazed, and very quite and in the background the whole time. it was lovely. we talked to her quite a bit, took her to a sibling class, and read an excellent children's book about a homebirth to her (can't remember the name, i'll try to find it) she showed no concern, and having my mom there with her, who she's really comfortable with, was what made it work. i'm sure part of it is personality too, and how comfortable you and your dp are with having your other child there. this time around she'll be here, and 5 years old. our dc2 will also be here-he'll only be 21 months, but once again, my mom will be with him. i doubt he'll be there for the actual birth though, but in the house.

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#125 of 130 Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 PM

We are planning a homebirth with this one. DS was born at a birth center and will be 3 1/2 when Sprout arrives. I actually don't want him there, I'm afraid I'll lose my focus/ability to relax b/c I'll be worried about him. Thankfully we have incredible neighbors who love him and he loves them. So he'll head next door when the time comes.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#126 of 130 Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 AM

WOOOHOOOO, small victory today, I got a letter from my insurance company approving my appeal for gap insurance. They are covering my out-of-network at 100%! WOOOOHOOO! Of course they cannot make it simple, this decision is only good for 90 days, and starts June 9th, so I will have to call Monday to apply for coverage on May 25th when I originally applied for it to start. It just means a little more work for me, but I am guessing this was the biggest hurdle, from here on out it should be a cinch.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#127 of 130 Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
WOOOHOOOO, small victory today, I got a letter from my insurance company approving my appeal for gap insurance. They are covering my out-of-network at 100%! WOOOOHOOO! Of course they cannot make it simple, this decision is only good for 90 days, and starts June 9th, so I will have to call Monday to apply for coverage on May 25th when I originally applied for it to start. It just means a little more work for me, but I am guessing this was the biggest hurdle, from here on out it should be a cinch.
That's wonderful news! I'm sorry that they're able to continue to find ways to make it difficult, but what a victory! Go, Heather!
#128 of 130 Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM

This will be our third homebirth, and I am hoping, my first waterbirth. I bought my pool already! I'm really looking forward to it!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#129 of 130 Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmiss'mama View Post
I would let her be there if she wants. Meaning I would definitely have someone there that was solely there for her. That way if she is having a hard time or doesn't want to be there they could take her somewhere else. My DD was almost 1.5 when my second DD was born. She saw her come out and was totally fine, but you never know!
those are my thoughts... My dd will be 4.5 but I would welcome her now... I plan on having someone just for her and she will be free to come and go as she pleases. I plan on doing alot of prep before hand and she will have attended all the appointments, so I'm optimistic. I figure the worst thing that could happen is that she gets insecure watching me and I have to ask someone to take her away since I will need my husband. Although I guess it could run differently than the first...
I think it is an amazing gift for our children to watch and be part of.

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#130 of 130 Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Has anyone done a HB in an apt? Do I need to get permission to use a birth tub or let them know what's going on?
I have, and I agree that you shouldn't tell anyone. No one will ever know anyway because it all gets cleaned up afterwards. You might just want to buy extra shower curtains to cover up the carpet. That's what I did. That way if water splashes out of the tub, the carpet won't get all wet.

Also, if you are in the 2nd floor or higher, make sure you get a stud finder so you can put the tub in a place where there are plenty of joists close together (in the floor) and you won't fall through the floor/ ceiling into your downstairs neighbor's apt!!

Depending on how thin your walls are, you might also want to consider hanging thick blankets on the walls of the room where you will be laboring to help soundproof it a little for privacy.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page