Nursing While Pregnant Support Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is your nursing status?
Not currently nursing. 3 75.00%
Currently nursing and plan to wean. 11 100.00%
Currently nursing and plan to continue and tandem nurse. 47 100.00%
No plans. 5 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 05-25-2010, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am nursing DD (2 yrs old, will be almost 3 when #2 is born) about 2-3 times a day: upon wake up, to go to sleep and at naptime (if we're not in the car). She was nursing all night, but we had to night-wean to get my fertility back. She's adjusted and I'd love to have her still nurse before bed but NOT to fall asleep. I have NO idea how to make this transition. Can my supply be diminishing already (5 weeks)? She had a hard time going to sleep tonight b/c after nursing for awhile the "milkies are all done."

So glad to have this thread!

loving mommy to DD (3/08), brokenheart.gif our little strawberry (7/10). brokenheart.gif little seedling (10/10). brokenheart.gif little pear (4/11). Praying for a Rainbow - due Nov!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***rainbow1284.gif**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 AM

DD is 13 months and still nursing. I plan on seeing how things go, and plan to have her nurse as long as possible during this pregnancy. As far as after...we shall see. I am a go with the flow kinda gal.
#33 of 57 Old 05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
TLK

This will be my 3rd set of tandem nurslings (at one point I had a trifecta going on)
Tandem set # 1 - The first time I nursed thru a pregnancy (it was baby #3) I was a bit nervous as my baby was only 9 months and I did not want her to wean and I was afraid of a drop in milk. Around 5 months (which is common)there was a drop in milk but she kept nursing strong and and began eatting crazy. We did decide to wean from night nursing at about 15 months b/c I knew with a family bed that was my sanity line. So my husband and I had "sleeping buddies" he had our 18 month old and I had our newborn in our bed and occasionally our 5 year old joined us. My 18 month old nursed just as much as my newborn and I was happy to obliged as it was easier to keep track of her that way. I don't know how people parent with a newborn and toddler without tandem nursing!
Trifecta - I had 3 year old occasional nursling, 18 month old strong nursling, pregnant w/ #4. Both nursed through pregnancy (3 year old only occasionally) As baby #4 was due I had an almost 4 yo and 2 1/2 yo. I used my 2 yo to help induce contractions and let her nurse as much as possible as my water broke and it took 2 days for labor to begin. Soon after #4 was born my almost 4 yo weaned, my 2 1/2 yo nursed for another year.
Now- due w/ #5, and DD is 2 and nursing strong. I have no plans to wean and neither does she.
#34 of 57 Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM

My daughter weaned already I am at 9 weeks today. She skipped one session a few weeks ago, then stopped at night, then this morning she didn't nurse and feel asleep without nursing tonight. I didn't expect it to happen so quickly...before I was pregnant, she was nursing 3-4 times a day. She is 3.

I am sad, but it was making my morning sickness worse, I actually threw up a few times in the middle of nursing her.

I will say I am glad I waited so long to get pregnant, she had feeding delays and food allergies and I was worried my supply might be too low for her to keep weight on (she dropped to 21 percentile). I am glad I waited until she outgrew her allergies and started eating more before I got pregnant again, she is gaining on her own, so at least I don't have to worry about her health too.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#35 of 57 Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am not entirely sure of my due date yet....late Jan/ early Feb I am guessing.

I am still nursing my 3 year old. Not sure if she will wean or not.

I have tandemed before for one year.
#36 of 57 Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM

I'm only around seven weeks and hope to be able to continue to nurse my daughter (2.75) throughout the pregnancy. She's really attached to her "milkies" and I would feel awful if she felt the baby had taken them away from her. (She's already told me that she'll be the one who will breastfeed the new baby when it comes though ).

I'm really worried about nursing aversion, as a friend of mine gave up nursing her daughter during her second pregnancy due to strong aversion. She tells me that I'll go through the same thing and it will be nearly impossible to breastfeed. At what point will I know that I'm safe from real trouble with aversion? I had some PPD/PPA problems and was surprised to find that nursing made me feel worse during that time period - my anxiety went through the roof when nursing and my skin would crawl. I could certainly nurse through that feeling again, but am hoping to avoid it.

Do most people experience strong aversion during pregnancy? I have a bit of soreness at the moment, but nothing too serious. My pregnancy symptoms were very mild last pregnancy and I don't remember having any breast soreness. Of course, I didn't have morning sickness last time either and I'm not so lucky this time!

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#37 of 57 Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 PM

I chose "tandem nursing" but to be honest I won't mind at all if my almost 2-year-old self weans In the first week I had some soreness, kind of like a bruised sensation, but that has gone away now. But nursing does seem to make my morning sickness worse. Also in the first week it seemed like my supply was really low and DD asked for sippy cup quite often. But it seems like my supply is a bit better now. I'm kinda curious what to expect with nursing through a pregnancy, such as quality and quantity of milk, effect on my energy levels, messy toddler diapers, etc?

Sort-of-Crunchy muslim countrylivin WAH mom to DD July'08 and baby Jan'11
#38 of 57 Old 06-05-2010, 12:03 AM

AwW im sorry AFWife. That stinks. I just realized tonight now sensitive my nipples are when she unlatches...ouch!!

I have a 13 month old. Who will be 21 months when this babe is born. I am gonna just go with the flow to see what she does. If she weans she weans...if not then thats cool too.

Kay, Wife to my best friend Benjamin. Mommy to Aubrey (4-14-2009). Hoping for a VBAC with my 2nd on 1-29-2011.
#39 of 57 Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 PM

I am currently nursing a 2.5 year old. I really hope he will be willing to wean before the new one comes along. He will be a little over 3 by then, and that is really enough for me. I have been nursing at least one child and for a while two since Nov 2005. I am sure there are woman out there that have been doing it longer, but I really do not want to tandem nurse again. I would also love one or two months near the end of this pregnancy without a nursling.
That said I am not going to push my son too hard to stop, so there is a chance that I will be nursing two for at least a while come January.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#40 of 57 Old 06-05-2010, 11:31 PM

Alright. Well I am almost 7 weeks... and I AM SUPPPPPPPPPERRRR sore. It hurts so bad. And then she pinches on top of that! GAHHHH. Anyone else? i have to like grin and bear it. I dont know how much longer were gonna go.

Kay, Wife to my best friend Benjamin. Mommy to Aubrey (4-14-2009). Hoping for a VBAC with my 2nd on 1-29-2011.
#41 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 01:34 PM

My 25mo old is nursing non-stop this morning! We are just hanging around the house so far today , so "baba" is available. She sure is taking advantage! Useually she nurses 3-4 times a day an d a little over night. I am 11wks and wondering if my supply is getting low yet? Maybe she is testing the supply v. demand? It can't be tasting too bad yet since she is still enjoying it so much. Right?
#42 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKay View Post
Alright. Well I am almost 7 weeks... and I AM SUPPPPPPPPPERRRR sore. It hurts so bad. And then she pinches on top of that! GAHHHH. Anyone else? i have to like grin and bear it. I dont know how much longer were gonna go.
mine were super sore for a while too, that ended about 3 or 4 wks ago and I am not sensitive like I was at all any more.
#43 of 57 Old 06-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Ideally, I'd say tandem nurse but my 11 month old wants NOTHING to do with nursing. That was actually my first clue I might be pregnant. He cries and cries and pulls away. My supply has tanked and I'm not sure what to do. I've been pumping to try to keep it up, but even then he doesn't want much to do with a bottle of EBM. So I'd say we're probably on the road to weaning.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#44 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 12:20 PM

My dd is about 21 mo old and we are still nursing, but right around the time I got pregnant we dropped down to once a day, before bed. The timing was just right for both of us. I work 3 days a week, and those 3 days she didn't ask for it at all, she was too busy. So the next 4 days that I was home with her, I kept her busy and she never asked for it. I'm relieved to be at this point, I enjoy nursing her, but right before this transition she was sick and very clingy. It was very trying. As long as she is nursing once a day I don't have any plans for weaning or tandeming. Whatever happens, I'm okay with it

Jenni Wife to Jason and Mommy to Enza 9/08 energy.gifand Grayson 1/11 h20homebirth.gif   novaxnocirc.gif lactivist.gif

#45 of 57 Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 PM

i'm nursing my 23-month-old, and i feel awful saying this, but i HATE it! when he latches on, my skin crawls. while philosophically i think nursing while pregnant and tandem nursing is awesome, in practice, it jsut doesn't work out for me i was still nursing my middle girl when my son was born, adn i really hated nursing either of them until she weaned when he was about four months old. i don't want to be "mean" about it, but my boy will definitely have to wean before this baby makes an appearance.

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#46 of 57 Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 8 month old-- far to young to wean, but nursing has gotten so painful. Pumping is even worse. I hate to admit it, but I'm counting down the days until he turns one so we can give him cow's milk during the day

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#47 of 57 Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM

I'm here! Still nursing my 21 month old DD2. Expecting another little one on 1/1/11!

I nursed my DD1 through DD2's pregnancy, and DD1 self-weaned at 3.5 (2 weeks before I got PPAF and 4 weeks before I got pregnant again ). I plan to let DD2 nurse until she decides to wean.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#48 of 57 Old 06-19-2010, 05:59 PM

I am just a few weeks pregnant with #2 and my 23 mo DS is nursing a *ton*, but I am terrified that he will wean when/if my supply dips later. Any suggestions for how to *not* wean? Do I just continue to nurse on demand? Should I do something else to try to keep my supply up??

I would love to tandem nurse--it just sounds like an amazing way to bond with two kiddos and for them to bond with each other

Thanks, and congrats to all you mamas!

Kat, Mama to M (July 2008) and another babe due in Feb '11
#49 of 57 Old 06-19-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateye View Post
I am just a few weeks pregnant with #2 and my 23 mo DS is nursing a *ton*, but I am terrified that he will wean when/if my supply dips later. Any suggestions for how to *not* wean? Do I just continue to nurse on demand? Should I do something else to try to keep my supply up??

I would love to tandem nurse--it just sounds like an amazing way to bond with two kiddos and for them to bond with each other

Thanks, and congrats to all you mamas!
My DD1 self-weaned during my pregnancy with DD2 when my milk totally dried up. She was such a comfort nurser that I thought that would never happen. And she was only 22 months old at the time. Once I had DD2 and my milk came back in, she resumed nuring and nursed until she again self-weaned at 3.5.
I don't really think there's anything you can do to keep them nursing. I offered and my DD refused. It really surprised me.
And btw, do I know you from TBW?

#50 of 57 Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoHHH View Post
My DD1 self-weaned during my pregnancy with DD2 when my milk totally dried up. She was such a comfort nurser that I thought that would never happen. And she was only 22 months old at the time. Once I had DD2 and my milk came back in, she resumed nuring and nursed until she again self-weaned at 3.5.
I don't really think there's anything you can do to keep them nursing. I offered and my DD refused. It really surprised me.
And btw, do I know you from TBW?
Yup, it's the same kateye from TBW Hi!!! And congrats again on your pregnancy!! I'm not "out" about the pregnancy on TBW...waiting a few more weeks, cause it's still so early (maybe 7 weeks?)! Thank you for letting me know about your DD...I'd be shocked if M stopped nursing too--he is nursing like *crazy* right now, maybe to try to keep my supply up?? But good to know that anything can happen with even the most dedicated nursers, I need to be mentally prepared. I guess I can only keep my fingers crossed that we'll find a way to tandem nurse like you did!

Kat, Mama to M (July 2008) and another babe due in Feb '11
#51 of 57 Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateye View Post
Yup, it's the same kateye from TBW Hi!!! And congrats again on your pregnancy!! I'm not "out" about the pregnancy on TBW...waiting a few more weeks, cause it's still so early (maybe 7 weeks?)! Thank you for letting me know about your DD...I'd be shocked if M stopped nursing too--he is nursing like *crazy* right now, maybe to try to keep my supply up?? But good to know that anything can happen with even the most dedicated nursers, I need to be mentally prepared. I guess I can only keep my fingers crossed that we'll find a way to tandem nurse like you did!
My lips are zipped Wouldn't you be due in February then? Yes, it's definitely good to be mentally prepared. I was not ready for my DD1 to wean and I was very surprised by it. In the long run I'm happy that she started to nurse again and that she was able to wean peacefully when she was really ready.

#52 of 57 Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Planning on continuing to nurse, but so far none of my babies can make it through the whole pregnancy nursing. I think the flavor of my milk changes.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#53 of 57 Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 AM

this may have already been asked but I'm too tired to go through the thread right now and look...... When did you (if you have already...) start noticing a drop in supply and how old is your little one? I have a 16mo old that nurses quite often, well more than her brother did at this age (he was down to 1-2 nurses a day and only about once a night for a second every other night or so). I'm just trying to get a handle on what to anticipate because I cant see it going real well if my supply starts dropping a lot soon. Oh and I'm 13weeks.
#54 of 57 Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelJoy View Post
this may have already been asked but I'm too tired to go through the thread right now and look...... When did you (if you have already...) start noticing a drop in supply and how old is your little one? I have a 16mo old that nurses quite often, well more than her brother did at this age (he was down to 1-2 nurses a day and only about once a night for a second every other night or so). I'm just trying to get a handle on what to anticipate because I cant see it going real well if my supply starts dropping a lot soon. Oh and I'm 13weeks.
I really think it varies so much from woman to woman (and from pregnancy to pregnancy). For me, around 6 months my kids usually go through a phase when they like a drink of water after they nurse. So, I'm assuming my milk goes through a transition at that time (probably becomes more concentrated and preparing for colostrum to come in). None of my kids wean during pregnancy (and they always tandem afterward for a long time). They'll go through a phase of slowing down and then nursing more. There doesn't seem to be much of a predictable rhyme or reason to it. I would suggest taking it one day at a time. I've known plenty of moms who thought their child had weaned during pregnancy only to start nursing more a month later (or after the baby is born).

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#55 of 57 Old 07-09-2010, 02:08 AM

I could really use some help with latching pain

My left breast seems to have dried up completely and my midwife advises to let it do it's natural thing instead of trying to force more milk out of it. So I'm nursing several times a day and once at night from my right breast only. The nipple is only a little sore, but my son has a tendency to latch on VERY HARD sometimes and also likes to surprise me with the occasional "nipple drag" (yes, that's as uncomfortable as it sounds...!)

If I tell my little one "gently" then he'll usually latch on softly, but if he's sleepy or moody he'll sometimes just chomp down. I've been saying "ow!" so much lately from the discomfort that he'll sometimes pop-off and repeat "ow!" back to me, which bums me out.

I think my milk has decreased somewhat in my right breast as well, so we may be on the road to weaning. But I was hoping to nurse until my son was ready to self-wean, instead of this other route of reduced production and pain.

Any tips or suggestions?

Mama to Quinn (3/09) and partner to James. Expecting #2 and planning a
#56 of 57 Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 PM

OK here goes - I'm nursing my 17mo, and my 3yo is weaned-ish. I like to say he sometimes falls off the wagon. I hate nursing, it bothers me to say it but the nursing aversion has taken away any enjoyment. It started when I was pregnant with my 17mo and never really went away. I'm pretty proud that I've made it this far with him because it is driving me nuts. And he is a boobie tyrant! Demanding and throwing fits if I have to pop him off before he's ready. He sleeps in our room so DH sometimes leaves and sleeps on the couch. It's less than ideal, but I don't know what else to do.

My midwife suggested rubbing something not-so-good tasting on my nipples to "encourage" him to nurse less. I tried green olive juice and yellow mustard. No effect. I'm hesitant to use anything else. I used to be so totally pro-CLW until I got the combo of my boob king plus nursing aversion. I've been breastfeeding for three and a half years solid, half of that time with the NA, and I'd like a break before #3 comes. Not likely to happen, though, so here I am!
#57 of 57 Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyhaze View Post
I could really use some help with latching pain

My left breast seems to have dried up completely and my midwife advises to let it do it's natural thing instead of trying to force more milk out of it. So I'm nursing several times a day and once at night from my right breast only. The nipple is only a little sore, but my son has a tendency to latch on VERY HARD sometimes and also likes to surprise me with the occasional "nipple drag" (yes, that's as uncomfortable as it sounds...!)

If I tell my little one "gently" then he'll usually latch on softly, but if he's sleepy or moody he'll sometimes just chomp down. I've been saying "ow!" so much lately from the discomfort that he'll sometimes pop-off and repeat "ow!" back to me, which bums me out.

I think my milk has decreased somewhat in my right breast as well, so we may be on the road to weaning. But I was hoping to nurse until my son was ready to self-wean, instead of this other route of reduced production and pain.

Any tips or suggestions?
I think all you can do is your part in taking care of yourself to make breastfeeding as comfortable as possible. Stay hydrated, eat well, take some cleansing breaths when you start a nursing session, try to relax and be as comfortable as you can. Breastfeeding is a mutual relationship, so just do what you can at that moment and take it day by day.

Sometimes it can feel like our milk is drying up when we go through some of the fluctuations of hormones throughout a pregnancy, but it doesn't mean "drying up" is what's always happening. I'm not saying that your milk isn't drying up, I just don't want you to feel discouraged and feel as though you're definitely going down the path of weaning. Like I said, just take it day by day and take care of yourself.

How old is your little one? As kids get older, sometimes they can get a lazy latch and it's OK to lovingly guide them to a more comfortable position for the both of you. When nursing gets too sensitive for me, I'm OK with doing a little countdown and letting my nurslings know that that's all mama can do now. (((Hugs))) to you! I know this can be challenging at times! My 20-month-old wants to nurse all. the. time. My 4-year-old asks every now and then and I can literally only do, like, 1 minute nursing sessions with her.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page