Anyone considering a UP/UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else considering having a UC (Unassisted childbirth) or UP(unassisted pregnancy)? I am considering a UC for sure....not quite so sure about the UP.

I haven't made up my mind or anything, but I'm really entertaining the idea and reading a lot about it.

Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 AM

I am!

I would prefer to have a midwife, but the laws aren't in my favor here. There are a few underground midwives around, but so far, they haven't worked out. And with the farm and 4 other dc, it isn't feasible for me to travel. So, I'll go it alone.

I actually tried UC last time, but ended up transferring myself and ds came by c-section. Do NOT want that again, of course, but I'll always take a healthy babe over the alternative. Anyway, I'll be trying again!

Mama to ds12, dd9, dd3.5, and ds20mo, plus 15 cows, 2 dogs, 2 cats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and bees!
#3 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Women had better get together and fight those laws, if we want our daughters to have any personal choices left, once pregnant!
If we let it stand, the precedent only grows stronger.

40ish homeschool.gif trekkie.gif guitar.gifhbac.gifnovaxnocirc.gif raising 3 kids with the help of their loving father.

#4 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchynerd View Post
Women had better get together and fight those laws, if we want our daughters to have any personal choices left, once pregnant!
If we let it stand, the precedent only grows stronger.
Yes, and there is a group working tirelessly to change it. Can't get a senator to prioritize the bill, though. So frustrating. And you know what? We are one of only 2 states that actually makes it a felony for a CNM to deliver at home. A felony!! Crazy.

Dh says I should write a letter to each and every senator thanking them for blocking midwifery and forcing me to have my baby with no experienced help whatsoever.

Mama to ds12, dd9, dd3.5, and ds20mo, plus 15 cows, 2 dogs, 2 cats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and bees!
#5 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am considering having a UC. If I don't chicken out, lol. We have no midwives around here, and I'm not sure about another hospital birth. My ds came so fast I didn't even push, so my ob told me if I ever got pregnant again she would induce me early!! AAHHH!! Not happening! And she is the only ob I would consider around here.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#6 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Turn View Post
And you know what? We are one of only 2 states that actually makes it a felony for a CNM to deliver at home. A felony!! Crazy.
If you don't mind me asking, which state do you live in? CNMs don't attend homebirths here in MA, but I thought it was an issue with malpractice insurance. Just wondering if that's not the whole story?
#7 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 AM

I am. In my state it is illegal for anyone to attend a laboring woman as midwife unless they have a paper from the state giving them permission. And the state only gives those papers to CNMs. I did just find out that there is a CNM who is considering moving back to attending births at home. She is the only one in the state, I believe. Still, I have been considering UC for a couple of years, and I may decide to do that, even if the CNM does go ahead and go back to homebirth. We shall see!
#8 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Wow...I guess I must take it for granted that I can have a homebirth with a midwife and it's actually legal.

That must be so tough!!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#9 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citipeach View Post
If you don't mind me asking, which state do you live in? CNMs don't attend homebirths here in MA, but I thought it was an issue with malpractice insurance. Just wondering if that's not the whole story?
Nebraska. The other state is Arkansas, I believe, but I may have that wrong. I just know the stat because of the legislative work we were doing.

#10 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm planning both!SO exited!The last 2 times I felt like we didn't even need the mw,and last time she didn't even make it,an assistant did and SHE barely got here in time.I have no doubt I/we can do it and be just blissfully happy!

I love to
#11 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Alright ladies....

anyone wanting to UC...but not quite so sure about UP? Anyone have a UC but had a midwife or something for prenatals?

I'm considering going with a midwife at the hospital where I had DD...and then having an..."oops..we just didn't make it" type of thing (but the midwife knows I'm interesting in homebirth so not sure that would work).

I'm also considering having a homebirth midwife do my prenatals.

I guess..part of me feels like I could buy a blood pressure cuff and take my own (learn to take my own), I can buy the dip stick tests for urine that test for a bunch of things..and I can keep my own records....y'know?

I don't want the glucose test, the GBS tests, etc. So what else is there?

#12 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

You can also measure your fundal height yourself, just in case you are curious to know when the baby drops. I did it once a week with our DD, although I did go to a once a month appointment.

I go to the nutritionist for prenatals and they are mostly just checking ph and protein and glucose in your urine. You can definitely check all that at home.

We have booked a midwife, although I don't expect a midwife to arrive in time for this one. I figure it'll be nice to have all the help afterwards.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page