Anyone take Red Raspberry Leaf tea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just reading about it on the I'm Pregnant page. Anyone here take it? Thoughts?

Becky, married to DH, Vern , for 11 years. Mom to DS, Z (1/01), DD, A (5/02), Hershey (11 yo Shih-tzu) and May 2010 TTC #4 on my homepage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM

I drink it a lot normally....but I am just nervous to drink it in the first trimester. I think I'm only nervous because last time I had a m/c and I was drinking it...so anything I was doing then..I don't want to be doing now..y'know?

I would probably drink it in the second and third trimesters no problem...in fact I just asked DH to buy some at the store for me.

Some ppl say it's best to drink it all thru your pregnancy, and others say to at least wait til the second trimester.

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 PM

I drink it, it's my favorite tea. I don't drink a lot in the first trimester because I can't really stomach any teas during m/s. It helped a lot with cycle issues I had when TTC my first (spotting), and it's supposed to help with bleeding postpartum I think.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
Old 05-18-2010, 03:16 PM

I have a friend who swears by it for both pregnancy and breastfeeding... I plan on drinking it after the first trimester. Anyone have a favorite source to get it?

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

Old 05-18-2010, 03:16 PM

My prenatals have RRL in them, along with some other herbs. I just ordered some bulk herbs - RRL, nettle, alfalfa, and dandelion root/leaf. Not sure when I will start them, but they are on the way!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm going to go ahead and try a cup a day during the first trimester, and increase thereafter if I like it and all goes well. Sources I trust, like Aviva Jill Romm, say it is safe throughout pregnancy. Of course, if I seem to have problems I'll stop. If I had a history of miscarriage I would probably be more hesitant about it just because of anecdotal possible connections... although that always seems like a weird way to look at things, because of course the worry arises because I don't want to BEGIN "a history of miscarriage"!

However, after reading the first 25 pages of the RLL tea thread on the general pregnancy page I feel good about at least trying it. It seems like most women can tell if it's causing them problems, and can stop drinking it and the problems go away. I feel like I want to get as many of its benefits as possible, so I want to start now. If I had been planning this pregnancy, I probably would have started beforehand...

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM

It's safe. It makes your uterus stronger. If you are having food issues though and are easily nauseated then it's best to just wait until that passes so you can stomach it later when it's even more important (in the later half of your pregnancy).
I took an extensive herbal course several years ago & this is what we were taught.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM

I drank it throughout my last pregnancy. I was finding it hard to drink, this time due to my nausea, so I am drinking Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea that contains spearmint leaf, raspberry leaf, strawberry leaf, nettle leaf, rose hip, fennel seed, lemongrass leaf, alfalfa leaf, and lemon verbena leaf. It is lovely.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM

I drank it throughout my last pregnancy, and will do so again this time. Was having a hard time, as well, due to nausea, but that seems to have pretty much passed.

I don't know that I would actually drink more than a cup a day, though. I alternated between red raspberry leaf tea, and pregnancy tea, and will probably do the same again this time.

I really love the yogi nursing tea the best, but there was something in it I didn't really want to drink while I was pregnant. Anise maybe? Also, being in Canada, nobody sells it here, so I have to have someone ship it from the States for me.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 PM

I drank it all the way through my last pregnancy. 1 cup a day 1st trimester, 2 the 2nd, 3 the 3rd, then a lot once I was 38 weeks. I bought from mountainroseherbs.com. I would steep a big iced tea container with about 1/2 cup loose tea and.... Maybe 6 or 8 cups of water? I would let it sit over night, at least 10 hours. Then I would put it in the fridge and drink it cold. I hated it warm. The taste bothered me. But I loved it cold! I don't generally sweeten my drinks, and I didn't sweeten that either.

I swear it made my l & d awesome! My uterus did all the work! My water broke 4 days after my due date. 4 hours of contractions total. Went from 5cm to 10cm in half an hour. My body completely started pushing him out on it's own. 8 minutes of letting my body do it's work, my son came out! The placenta followed on it's own 3 minutes later without me doing anything. I can't say for sure how much was the tea, but I'm not trying it without it this time to test it!

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.

User Tag List