(end of may) June Chat! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 208 Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0xxie View Post
Does anyone know, if you have a hospital birth, will they let you keep the placenta, or will they insist on disposing of it as "medical waste"?
My hospital was very clear that it was medical waste to be disposed of...but, like others have said, it can't hurt to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post
My placenta was apparently, pretty huge. I had no others to compare it so I'll trust the word of the people in awe of it. The contractions to get that sucker out were pretty rough. My MW said "Jessica, look at your placenta, I think this is one of the biggest I've seen!" Which for nearly 23 years of catching babies is, I think, pretty impressive.
Thinking about encapsulation this time around...
I didn't actually SEE mine but my OB said the same thing. "Woah, that's huge." It probably explains why I was nearly 20lbs lighter the week after giving birth...almost 8lbs of baby, huge placenta, and other birth stuff...

I'm planning on keeping mine this round. I'm going to try encapsulation because I had some PPD with DS (I'm prone to depression) and I want to do whatever I can to avoid that.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#182 of 208 Old 06-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

For record, it's incredibly hard to find white Christmas lights in NYC in June.

You know, just in case anyone was wondering.
#183 of 208 Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Some hospitals, I've heard, actually charge for you to take your placenta! You made the thing, why would you possibly have to pay for it???
#184 of 208 Old 06-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post
Some hospitals, I've heard, actually charge for you to take your placenta! You made the thing, why would you possibly have to pay for it???
I've heard this, too. Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
For record, it's incredibly hard to find white Christmas lights in NYC in June.

You know, just in case anyone was wondering.
Found the lights, finally.

I also have several picnic blankets, a couple king-sized white flat bed sheets, and a very expensive projector.

If all goes as planned, then tomorrow night our back garden will be an outdoor movie theater featuring Roy Orbison live, Ali and Forman's Rumble in the Jungle, the Red Sox finally breaking the curse.

That man better appreciate all I do for him.
#185 of 208 Old 06-19-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
DH thinks it should be the other way around...that if you DON'T take it home the hospital should be charged.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#186 of 208 Old 06-20-2010, 01:48 AM

The whole not letting you take your placenta things just sounds crazy! I think Im going to look up some laws and see if there is anything I can use to fight back if given any flack.

I heard one lady here just having her husband slip it in a cooler they brought just for it when it was sitting there and walk off with it. I can understand why it needs to be looked at to make sure there are no chunks missing, but beyond that, there is nothing they need to do or look at that needs anything more than a slice of it.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#187 of 208 Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

So, this is what I've been up to today. I'm trying to keep myself distracted so I can't freak out. So far, so good.
#188 of 208 Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I've heard this, too. Crazy.

Found the lights, finally.

I also have several picnic blankets, a couple king-sized white flat bed sheets, and a very expensive projector.

If all goes as planned, then tomorrow night our back garden will be an outdoor movie theater featuring Roy Orbison live, Ali and Forman's Rumble in the Jungle, the Red Sox finally breaking the curse.

That man better appreciate all I do for him.
that sounds sooo cool... I wish I had the energy for all that right now..lol

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#189 of 208 Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
So, this is what I've been up to today. I'm trying to keep myself distracted so I can't freak out. So far, so good.

That all sounds delish!! Now I'm hungry again!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#190 of 208 Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0xxie View Post
Does anyone know, if you have a hospital birth, will they let you keep the placenta, or will they insist on disposing of it as "medical waste"?
It really just depends on the hospital. I believe Hawaii is the only state right now legally required to give it to you if you ask for it. If you're interested in taking it home, speak with your healthcare provider to let him/her know your plans. I always advise people to talk with their doctor/midwife before labor to let them know that they want to keep the placenta so your healthcare provider can be on your side when the time comes. Also, let the nurses know when you arrive at the hospital. If it comes down to it, you can always say you want it for religious reasons. (Again, though, they're not legally required to give it to you. However, I haven't had any instances of mothers not being allowed to take it home. But that's here in California.)

I encapsulate placentas, so I can give directions to anyone who needs it when the time comes. I also recommend that those who keep it (for planting, encapsulating, whatever) also do a placenta print. It's such a wonderful keepsake. And if you live in an apartment and want to plant it but don't have a yard, then I advise parents to buy a potted plant and bury it with that; then you can take the plant with you wherever you move.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#191 of 208 Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Angela- what a great idea to put it in a planter!! We live in a house with a great backyard but I don't plan on being here forever, and wouldn't want to leave the placenta behind.

Leigh- OMG!!! that is a ton of food!! Sounds delicious. Are you going to freeze itall? What a great idea for when the babies come too! I'll have to get on it.
#192 of 208 Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmnewbs View Post
Leigh- OMG!!! that is a ton of food!! Sounds delicious. Are you going to freeze itall? What a great idea for when the babies come too! I'll have to get on it.
Other than some of the tomato soup and a loaf of bread - we had grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in the soup for dinner last night - yes, it's all being frozen.

I've got cold weather recipes for when December rolls around. Most of this (I'm hoping) will be gone by the time January is here. This is my first try, but I'm planning on using all of this for nights when we're really tired or we're just plain busy. We'll see.

The main reason for doing this is really so that I can get good at it before I give birth, though. I want to be prepared for when sleep depravation as me in it's grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post
I encapsulate placentas, so I can give directions to anyone who needs it when the time comes. I also recommend that those who keep it (for planting, encapsulating, whatever) also do a placenta print. It's such a wonderful keepsake. And if you live in an apartment and want to plant it but don't have a yard, then I advise parents to buy a potted plant and bury it with that; then you can take the plant with you wherever you move.
I'd love directions on how to encapsulate my placenta. I'm not sure I'll be going that route, but I do have a history of hemorrhage and depression so it would be nice to know how to go about doing it, if it's not too much trouble.

And a placenta print? I think I know what that is, but maybe I'm wrong - I wouldn't want to presume, you know?
#193 of 208 Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I'd love directions on how to encapsulate my placenta. I'm not sure I'll be going that route, but I do have a history of hemorrhage and depression so it would be nice to know how to go about doing it, if it's not too much trouble.

And a placenta print? I think I know what that is, but maybe I'm wrong - I wouldn't want to presume, you know?
I'll be sure to send you the directions for encapsulation, Leigh.

If you Google "placenta print," you'll get images of what they look like. It's basically taking the placenta and placing it fetal side down on a piece of acid-free paper. You can use the blood or apply an ink for the print. (The blood will gradually fade over time. However, I mostly do it with the blood because I then go on to encapsulate the placenta, and you can't apply ink if you do that.)

I just did an encapsulation and print this afternoon, as a matter of fact. I'll attach the picture of the print. Placenta Print

They all come out a little different, and I just love them. Even if you don't display it, I think it's a nice thing to at least tuck away and have for a keepsake.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#194 of 208 Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

If you Google "placenta print," you'll get images of what they look like. It's basically taking the placenta and placing it fetal side down on a piece of acid-free paper. You can use the blood or apply an ink for the print. (The blood will gradually fade over time. However, I mostly do it with the blood because I then go on to encapsulate the placenta, and you can't apply ink if you do that.)

I just did an encapsulation and print this afternoon, as a matter of fact. I'll attach the picture of the print. Placenta Print

They all come out a little different, and I just love them. Even if you don't display it, I think it's a nice thing to at least tuck away and have for a keepsake.
Thanks.

Hmm. I'm not sure about that picture, though. Don't get me wrong - placentas are total rock stars - but I'm not sure about framing a print of mine. Maybe one for the baby box (I'm keeping small things in addition to the baby book). Maybe I'm missing the beauty. Who knows? It could be the blood. I'm not a fan of blood. Been in accidents and sick too many times, I think.
#195 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 AM

I've been thinking that i'll make a print with the blood or something food safe like berry juice and then I will take a really nice photo of them so they will not fade, like a inferred or silver print that has a really amazing feel to it.

Seems like the best of both worlds.

I definalyt plan on consuming my placentas, might do it is two different ways with each of the two, so if I don't like it one way I have another.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#196 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 AM

Gah, again Adorkable... why can't you just stay here?? My doula does encapsulation.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#197 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
Gah, again Adorkable... why can't you just stay here?? My doula does encapsulation.
Who is your doula? If I make it to term, this will be the first time I'll be allowed to keep my placenta. (The do testing on them for micropreemies... Not sure what the heck for... but the hospital wont give the little things back) And I'd like to encapsulate it. I don't want a doula though... There will be enough people in my house as is. 2 kids, DH, The MW and her assistant... I live in a 2 bdrm apt.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#198 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
I've been thinking that i'll make a print with the blood or something food safe like berry juice and then I will take a really nice photo of them so they will not fade, like a inferred or silver print that has a really amazing feel to it.

Seems like the best of both worlds.
Ooo . . . I like that plan. I'm so stealing that idea, Adorkable!
#199 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you should just do a big "how to" post! I want to do it this time around too!!

#200 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM

My doula is Diksha Berebitsky in Lacey WA. http://www.birth-doula-olympia-wa.co...apsulation.htm

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#201 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I think you should just do a big "how to" post! I want to do it this time around too!!
Great minds think alike.
#202 of 208 Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
My doula is Diksha Berebitsky in Lacey WA. http://www.birth-doula-olympia-wa.co...apsulation.htm
How funny! Diksha was training to be a doula during my DD's birth class in early 2009. She is so nice! On another note, I'm pretty sure we are going to the same midwife too. We just love Audrey. DD thinks the little dog is a cat, she runs after him saying "meow."

SAHM to Claire 3/13/09 and due with #2 on 1/16/11
#203 of 208 Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesbyr View Post
How funny! Diksha was training to be a doula during my DD's birth class in early 2009. She is so nice! On another note, I'm pretty sure we are going to the same midwife too. We just love Audrey. DD thinks the little dog is a cat, she runs after him saying "meow."
Yup, we are! What a small world!!

I adore Diksha, she had her daughter with Audrey too!

#204 of 208 Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

Okay, my dinner just tried to get all kinds of philosophical on me.

The fortune from my delivered Chinese reads:

Quote:
Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
What the hell, cookie?
#205 of 208 Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 AM

Leigh - Your cookie made me feel like a moron. I read that thing like 4 times and I still don't get it.

Also, I am jealous of your ability to enjoy Chinese food. We ordered some a few weeks ago and I ate and I ate and I ate....and then 2 hours later I was starving again so I ate and I ate...and then I woke up starving at 2am. I really don't know what my body did with the food.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#206 of 208 Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 AM

I keep rereading the fortune, too. It mostly makes me laugh, though. I'm kind of in that brain freeze where I don't know if I get things or not, but it doesn't seem to matter either way. ykwim? I want food delivered that I want to eat, that delivers philosophy to boot. But not Chinese. Maybe Chinese if it's just white rice. Hmmm. There's philosophy in there, too, methinks....
That sounds weird, but I was merely commenting on my inability to stomach any food that has flavor, texture or nuance.
#207 of 208 Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adallae View Post
Leigh - Your cookie made me feel like a moron. I read that thing like 4 times and I still don't get it.

Also, I am jealous of your ability to enjoy Chinese food. We ordered some a few weeks ago and I ate and I ate and I ate....and then 2 hours later I was starving again so I ate and I ate...and then I woke up starving at 2am. I really don't know what my body did with the food.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get it. I keep going back to the darn thing too. I go upstairs to read and can't focus on the page, so I scurry back down two flights of stairs to the kitchen where I left it and I stare at it until my head feels like it's going to explode.

DH has been home about fifteen minutes and I've already made three trips to do that since he arrived. He just put the stupid thing on my night stand, though, as if he thought that would keep me from carrying it back down there. I couldn't breathe with it up here. The thing is haunting me, I swear.

Oh, and the Chinese food was because of my impeded chewing since my dental surgery yesterday - lo mein noodles are nice and soft - and don't make my jaw feel like someone took a hammer to it. It didn't fill me up, though - that took a LARGE glass of chocolate milk and an entire pint of raspberry gelato.

Quote:
I keep rereading the fortune, too. It mostly makes me laugh, though. I'm kind of in that brain freeze where I don't know if I get things or not, but it doesn't seem to matter either way. ykwim? I want food delivered that I want to eat, that delivers philosophy to boot. But not Chinese. Maybe Chinese if it's just white rice. Hmmm. There's philosophy in there, too, methinks....
That sounds weird, but I was merely commenting on my inability to stomach any food that has flavor, texture or nuance.
It does sound weird, you're right - but your post makes way more sense then my fortune does! Trust me.

I hope you're able to enjoy food soon. A life on white rice is no fun. I've been there before on both elimination diets and because of illness. Here's to salt soon!
#208 of 208 Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

All right - I thought that thing sounded familiar. It's freakin' C.S. Lewis quote! No wonder it's wacky.

The full quote is:

Quote:
Courage is not simply one of the virtues but the form of every virtue at the testing point, which means at the point of highest reality.
C.S. Lewis, quoted in The Unquiet Grave, pt. 3, Cyril Connolly (1944)
I still don't get it (pregnancy brain is kicking my English degree's butt), but at least I know why it was bugging me so much.

The loosest interpretation I can come up with is that he was talking about the bravery that you have to have to experience life at the highest degree - joy, faith, hope, etc.. That in the hardest of times you have to see your limitations as a person and go past them despite knowing them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page