(end of may) June Chat! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because the last one didn't take up that much space I figured we could do a month long chat and start a new thread if needed.

I got back pain today...Seriously? Already? Ugh.

I noticed that I'm starting to pop out a little bit...it's weird to be almost showing at 6 weeks. This second time around thing is different...

My appetite is usually muted...but when I start to get hungry it comes on STRONG.

I havent' been nauseated or as tired!

We're going to visit DH's family this weekend. I'm waiting for the comments about STILL NURSING DS at 13mo. (Plus I'm pregnant! I should be force weaning right?) So that will be "fun" or something. We're also going to try to leave DS with MIL while we have some adult time...I told DH that I'd do it ONLY if she agreed that if DS is inconsolable for more than 10mins that she call me immediately (do not pass go, do not collect $200) so we can come home. I am so not kidding.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM

I am also noticing that my appetite is muted. No nausea but I don't want to eat and then I get low blood sugar and realized I have to. And I am going from not hungry to hungry instantly.

I had back pain last night and was like, what on earth?

I AM tired.

Sorry you have to deal with the "still nursing" comments. My inlaws are going to be like that too. My mom nursed all of us for 3 years so luckily, they won't bat an eyelash if I nurse that long.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 PM

I'm so frustrated... I get hunger pains but there's nothing appetizing!
#4 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post
Sorry you have to deal with the "still nursing" comments. My inlaws are going to be like that too. My mom nursed all of us for 3 years so luckily, they won't bat an eyelash if I nurse that long.
I "self weaned" at 14mo so I keep getting "he'll be weaning soon" comments from my mom.

MIL only nursed DH a few months (the L&D nurses told her to only nurse every 4 hours so she had supply issues). She nursed BIL1 7 months (a "long time"). BIL2 had horrible reflux and was given formula. ALL of them were on rice cereal by 8 weeks! (the ped told her that when babies need to eat constantly it means that they need something more "filling")
FIL said that 7mo of nursing is "long enough" and that you should switch to formula after that....oh, and nursing past a year? Disgusting.

MIL also believes that nursing during pregnancy causes miscarriage. She knew someone that was still nursing, got pregnant, and miscarried. The doctor told her it was because of breastfeeding and to wean before getting pregnant. DH has told her that the studies show that there is no connection between miscarriage and breastfeeding and so I won't be weaning.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM

Ugh! I really wish people would live and let live. It's so frustrating to have to deal with family, friends and "others" opinions. My mom is fully supportive of whatever I choose to do. She nursed my older sister for 12mo, me for about 15mo, and my younger sis for about 2 yrs. My MIL on the other hand was all about formula for her 4 kids and had them on rice cereal pretty early. She also had me convince that my DD needed Rice cereal @ 4mo as ped suggested, so we tried and Natalie had no intrest so we stopped and tried again on our own time with table food. now thst I am nursing while pg she has all sorts of comments, I just ignore them and tell her Nat will wean when SHE is ready not when Grandma Ellen says!!

My all day sicky feeling is finally subsiding, I just get little bits here and there. I too go from not hungry to ravenous and need something NOW!! Nothing is ever as good as what I want but I can't put my finger on what I really do want, vicious cycle :P I am also still tired all the time, I take naps with Nat and we both get in about 2hrs...so nice!
#6 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I get to deal with the...Nursing while pregnant thing...I hate it...its none of you business so LEAVE ME ALONE!! Thats all I got to say.

I have some back pain depending on what I do. I also have been going to the bathroom alot more, as in looser stools. I am usually constipated All. The. Time. But Its kind of a relief to be able to go. But when I have to go. You better get out of the way!! ha.
#7 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBerardi View Post
I also have been going to the bathroom alot more, as in looser stools. I am usually constipated All. The. Time. But Its kind of a relief to be able to go. But when I have to go. You better get out of the way!! ha.
Me too! I was like this during my last pregnancy too!

#8 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Me too! I was like this during my last pregnancy too!
I am too, and my midwife was like "if it doesn't stop you'll need to see a PCP" I figured it will stop soon. But I was worried because I wasn't drinking a lot

So I had to go on zofran and even with that and b6, I am still dry heaving and not eating much. And Not drinking enough at all. I can't find anything to drink, water actually hurts and sweet drinks make my stomach upset.

I am not showing yet at all, I will be 8 weeks soon, so I don't know if I am concerned or not. I showed with DD much earlier, but then I ate a lot more too, and gained a lot right away.

I am tired and it's almost 1pm and I am still in my pjs. My poor bored daughter! At least it's too hot out to play, so I have an excuse for her being inside

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#9 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

I have the same stomach pooch for the last 3 weeks it hasn't changed much in size since then. I can tell it doesn't look normal but I don't think anyone else but my DP can tell.
My nausea has subsided to a more manageable level, but I'm still ravenous yet not much sounds good! I'm trying to just eat what I need this time and not go overboard like I did with the girls. I gained 55lbs with each of them (not necessary) & this time I'd like to keep it to somewhere around 35lbs.
I think it's great when mamas can breast feed while pregnant. My oldest was about 6 months when I got pregnant again and my supply seemed to dry up. I was young & without a lot of support, so I didn't know what to do. I wish though that I'd been able to keep nursing her.
I got a little teary earlier thinking about when we all start announcing our births! (extra emotional lately!) It'll be so sweet.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#10 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM

AFWife - Good luck with your in-laws! I still won't leave DD alone with them, so I know how you feel on that one.

I'm feeling SO much better today! I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel! I even did a load of laundry!

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#11 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Adallae: The thing is, I trust my ILs MORE with DS than I trust my own parents. (They're emotionally/verbally abusive and I don't trust them to not badmouth my husband to our children) I'm sure he'll be fine. DH came home for lunch today and DS usually goes nuts when he leaves...today there was a bit of whining and then he was fine. Maybe some of the separation anxiety is leaving? That would be wonderful!

#12 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Love a good chat! Been feeling pretty queasy these last few days... Tuesday was terrible, could hardly convince myself to eat a thing. Yesterday and today are slightly better, although still intense at times. Breasts are swollen and tender, but don't know if that's from MY hormones or the extra progesterone the dr. proscribed. Seem to be more constipated these last few days, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that vegetables and salads just don't seem appetizing at all right now (must find a way to get more fiber, preferably naturally). In general haven't had a great deal of focus, or git-er-done spirit... piles of laundry wait patiently for folding, dishes in the dish washer desire to be put away, but I'm more inclined to ignore them. Any advice for getting my butt in gear? What I could really use right now is an impending visit from MIL to get me moving!
#13 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM

AFWife - Oh, I'm having the opposite problem. I don't trust DH's dad and stepmom. His stepmom has also said some wonderfully off things about the fact that we are a mixed race couple (she got a kick out of our engagement photo being in black and white, "Just like you guys!" Showed it to everyone and kept repeating it.). I'm a little nervous about things she might say to our kids, especially if they look very different (DD is very light skinned).

Family stinks sometimes.

#14 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

M0xxie: have you tried Benefiber? It really is totally tasteless!

#15 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 PM

I'll be about 9 weeks Saturday. I'm super tired, nauseous from about 11 am til dinner. I can hardly stomach anything during that time and usually end up skipping lunch. No puking but so close so many times. I have a sligh pouch going, although not as big as my second pregnancy at this point. Probably from my lack of eating midday. Last time I had a great appetite. I feel beat by 7pm and some days at naptime (only my 2 year old naps) I nap while ds1 watches tv next to me. I feel bad, this is usually "our time" but I'm just so tired. I hope it goes away soon.

I've been in love with a girl's name since I was pg with ds2, and while looking at wraps the other night just in case it's a girl. I found one I absolutely love!!!! It's a Didymos... Named the EXACT name I want for a girl!!! I don't know if it's a sign or just wishful thinking. But now I'm super-hoping for a girl... And I'm afraid of what my reaction will be if it's a boy. I have no doubt I'll love him. I've said even I'd I could look into the future and would see 3 boys, I would still absolutely have a third. And I still feel that way! I'm just worried I'm getting my hopes up and what my FIRST reaction would be in seeing boy on the u/s. Anyone else feel/felt similar? This will be my last regardless of what this baby is. Just feeling emotional...

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#16 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I keep flipping back and forth in my thoughts on HB...sometimes I feel empowered by the decision...and sometimes I'm like "OH GOD! I WANT TO DO WHAT???"

#17 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I keep flipping back and forth in my thoughts on HB...sometimes I feel empowered by the decision...and sometimes I'm like "OH GOD! I WANT TO DO WHAT???"
I started out #2 going to a birth center, saying maybe I'd do homebirth for #3 if all went well at the birth center. I had my first in the hospital and got an epidural at 4cm due to the pitocin they forced on me (water broke, no contractions for a whole 8 hours. Then instead of lettinng it progress, they kept upping the dose). I was lucky to no tear, being completely numb. This was after fighting with the doctor who wanted to do an episiotomy, because it would be "easier for him to stitch". I hated that I needed to fight for that! Haha doctor, I pushed a whole 20 minutes and didn't tear!!!!

Anyway.... I started reading Spiritual Midwifery. After reading the wonderful stories, I knew I wanted a homebirth. So I found a midwife and got my homebirth! I'm so glad I did. The best part was being comfortable moving around my own house, got to have a waterbirth (Water broke with his one too, they wouldn't have "allowed" me to birth in the water at the birth center if my water had broken first), didn't have to leave afterwards.... Not to mention that at the time I would've thought it was time to go in, I was 10cm!! I would've had him in my car! Neither I nor he midwife would've guessed I was that far! I felt then like i did at 4cm with my first. So completely different being in my home win DH, a midwife, and nurse, letting me do what I wanted.

Anyway, that's my long, drawn out story. Hope it helps! Only you know where you would be most comfortable, and that's what it should come down to!

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#18 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Butterfly: Wait, they don't let you waterbirth if your water breaks? That's how my labor started with DS...ctx came an hour later.

#19 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Home birth, yes! I've never had a hospital birth but I've witnessed my sister & best friend give birth in a hospital...no thank you!
I recommend Spiritual Midwifery to every woman I know who is expecting or even thinking about getting pregnant. It's an amazing book!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#20 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Butterfly: Wait, they don't let you waterbirth if your water breaks? That's how my labor started with DS...ctx came an hour later.
Maybe it depends on the provider? I was allowed to do a waterbirth at a birth center several hours after my water broke.

#21 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 PM

so it was so fun and sweet, two days ago DH and i went out shopping to get a wedding gift for a coworker of his and then he suggested we drive to the other side of the mall area and go see babies r us. we just walked al the isles and cooed over things, and lastnoght i noticed as we were watching tv together and lounging, that he was looking us baby name on his iphone!

DH had been the type for th last few years as we TTC'd to not really talk that much about it and make the kind of joke some folks make when there nervous. he would get bummed out when AF would come but otherwise sometimes seemed like he could take it or leave it.
i had mentioned this concern with him and he always said that he was trying to stay low key so that we didn't get stressed out over the whole thing. i figured there was a vein of truth in that but even more so as i see him "come out of the baby closet" with all this cute stuff.

oh and i explained that the baby probably looked a lot like a gummy bear right this week.... he licked my belly! oh that was way way too cute.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#22 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
It depends on the provider. Another birth center around here is ok with it.

#23 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 PM

I've been reading Spiritual Midwifery the last few nights, and it's really helping ease my remaining fears about homebirth. I love the way they describe their 'rushes' & births as if they're psychedelic, pleasurable experiences! Anything's possible. I've got to get more in touch with my inner hippie.

on another note, I felt like crap - hungover crap, all morning & afternoon. after lunch, I took a walk through the spring sunshine & slowly came back to myself. Amazing what a little movement can do!

Excited to meet my probable midwife tonight. I have my questions ready, but I'm already pretty convinced I'll like her. She was even on 'baby story' once!!

Adorkable, you're DH sounds absolutely... adorkable!! too cute with the belly lick.

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#24 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM

My belly is pooching out so fast with this second pregnancy too! Last time I was still in regular jeans until about 8 weeks. This time? 5. And I feel so full!

AFWife - Go for the homebirth! It really is as safe as hospital birth. Mine was lovely, although I don't have a hospital experience to compare it to. How does your DH feel about it?

I bought Grantly Dick-Read's Childbirth Without Fear the other day on Amazon, to bump my order up to free shipping. It had been on my wish list for a long time. I am loving it! Too bad no one has paid attention to it for 60 years.

Oh-kay. Can we get into a little TMI here? So I have noticed the last several weeks that I am more ... fragrant than normal. It doesn't smell like a yeast or bacterial infection, just like bathing once a day isn't cutting it. We are renovating our bathroom, and our shower isn't functional yet, so I have only been able to take a bath. Maybe that isn't enough? Or are others having this too?
#25 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
Oh-kay. Can we get into a little TMI here? So I have noticed the last several weeks that I am more ... fragrant than normal. It doesn't smell like a yeast or bacterial infection, just like bathing once a day isn't cutting it. We are renovating our bathroom, and our shower isn't functional yet, so I have only been able to take a bath. Maybe that isn't enough? Or are others having this too?
How far along are you? I noticed the same thing around 6 weeks. It seems to be gone now. (yay!)

#26 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 PM

It could be that your sense of smell is hightened so you just think you smell? Does your DH notice anything extra smelly? I have noticed it too. But i have also noticed and increase in CM.
#27 of 208 Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM

adorkable, totally adorable about your dh .

i went shopping tonight and ladded a bunch of stuff i know i'll live in all summer and then the summer after the baby is born.

can't wait to the school year is over so i can stop sucking in in public!

re: homebirth...i'm planning on hospital birth. i don't think i feel confident enough to go into a homebirth or birth center birth without a little nagging doubt/worry in my mind. the hospital options i have are great though, so i'm not too stressed. we'll see though. plenty of weeks left to change my mind .

hoping for a !
#28 of 208 Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 AM

heheh a pal from the TTC boards just sent me a digital pregnancy test, in FRENCH!!

heheheehehe so excited to pee on it and get a french positive!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#29 of 208 Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 AM

i am getting super nervous for this weekend. we have stayed really close with a lot of families from dd's birth class and the last 1st birthday is this weekend. i haven't told any of them that we are expecting yet, didn't want to "steal" any of the little man's glory. i'm getting worried that with my morning sickness and smell aversions it will be hard not to give us away. i'm super excited to tell them all though and the next time i see them i definitely will not be able to keep quiet.

SAHM to Claire 3/13/09 and due with #2 on 1/16/11
#30 of 208 Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
heheh a pal from the TTC boards just sent me a digital pregnancy test, in FRENCH!!

heheheehehe so excited to pee on it and get a french positive!
Post a picture when you use it, I want to see!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page