Headache Anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-27-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on my third headache this week. It feels some what like a stress headache where it is at the base of my head/neck area. I have taken Tylenol some but it doesn't seem to help. I have been chugging the water because I was afraid it was from dehydration. I am still bloated though - wedding ring is little uncomfortable. I do usually drink coffee through out the day and since we found out we were expecting I cut back to one cup a day. So maybe from lack of caffeine but maybe hormones? Anyone else experiencing this?

Lynne (35) wife to DH (38) mom to DD (9) ** TTC # 2 since 7/07 ** m/c 6/23/10** 2 Failed IVF rounds... moving forward on adoption; Paperwork/home study complete, waiting on a birth mom to 'pick' us

joy.gif got a SURPRISE BFP EDD 11/17/14
#2 of 20 Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 PM

i would guess caffiene. this is my 3rd day w/o and havent reaally had one...which is super rare. good luck! im sorry.
#3 of 20 Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 PM

headaches are not an uncommon pregnancy symptom. i suffered from them really bad with my first. i remember getting some relief after the first tri. sorry, hun!

hoping for a !
#4 of 20 Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Persistent headaches were actually the first thing that made me suspect I was pregnant this time. I always get them the first few months.

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#5 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 AM

I had headaches before I knew I was pregnant too. I blew them off but now I think they were a pg symptom because I had several.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#6 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 AM

You should go see a chiropractor. They can help get rid of headaches or at least ease the symptoms. Headaches are no fun!

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#7 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 AM

I get headaches now when I go too long without eating. I got them in my first pregnancy all the time, I don't know why. It could have been caffeine because I used to drink soda all the time and when I went through morning sickness the smell of soda would make me vomit, so I stopped drinking it suddenly.

I switched to decaf soda after I had #1, so I am pretty sure they are from hunger now

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#8 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post
You should go see a chiropractor. They can help get rid of headaches or at least ease the symptoms. Headaches are no fun!
I second this, chiropractors are so helpful with so many pregnancy problems.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#9 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM

The headaches you get from caffeine withdrawal are the worst! I was concerned I might get headaches because I'm taking extra progesterone and that's one of the possible side effects, but so far so good.... worst thing I'm dealing with is nausea, which is plenty bad enough!
#10 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the support and ideas. I am feeling much better today but did have a cup of coffee. I would like to give it up all together here in the next few weeks... we shal see....

Lynne (35) wife to DH (38) mom to DD (9) ** TTC # 2 since 7/07 ** m/c 6/23/10** 2 Failed IVF rounds... moving forward on adoption; Paperwork/home study complete, waiting on a birth mom to 'pick' us

joy.gif got a SURPRISE BFP EDD 11/17/14
#11 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

I suffer from migraines and cluster headaches, so I can definitely sympathize. Pregnancy seems to be making my migraines occur much more often than they usually do (which is a lot to begin with). There's nothing quite like sitting on your kitchen floor getting ready to stab yourself in the thigh with an automatic injector of Imitrex, let me tell ya. Like monkeys in a barrel. Or your head. It's a toss up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a cup of coffee here or there, no matter where you are in your pregnancy (of course, I'm sure others will disagree with me here), but it's yet another personal decision. Only you (and your doctor or midwife) can make the call. But I would say that if it's between pain and a few ounces of caffeine? Caffeine - and don't feel guilty about it.

Good luck!
#12 of 20 Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM

My all time, every time, spot on cure for a horrible headache? Magnesium! We as a nation are largely mag deficient. Magnesium is one of the MAIN regulators of nerve function... Without it everything goes haywire. I'm not kidding... It is an essential nutrient, can't go wrong getting a lot of it. I use a product called Natural Calm... Mag. citrate drink, very good and works almost instantly on a headache(any kind of ache, really). The tablet supplemental form works just as well, but takes a smidge longer to work on account of having to dissolve and all that. Magnesium citrate is the easiest absorbed form, I think. Don't do too much at once, as it has a laxative effect. Anyway, check it out... Google magnesium and head aches. No joke, I swear by it.
#13 of 20 Old 05-29-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
My all time, every time, spot on cure for a horrible headache? Magnesium! We as a nation are largely mag deficient. Magnesium is one of the MAIN regulators of nerve function... Without it everything goes haywire. I'm not kidding... It is an essential nutrient, can't go wrong getting a lot of it. I use a product called Natural Calm... Mag. citrate drink, very good and works almost instantly on a headache(any kind of ache, really). The tablet supplemental form works just as well, but takes a smidge longer to work on account of having to dissolve and all that. Magnesium citrate is the easiest absorbed form, I think. Don't do too much at once, as it has a laxative effect. Anyway, check it out... Google magnesium and head aches. No joke, I swear by it.
thanks for the tip! ive been getting headaches in the evening since becoming pregnant so this is good to know.

#14 of 20 Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
My all time, every time, spot on cure for a horrible headache? Magnesium! ... Don't do too much at once, as it has a laxative effect. Anyway, check it out... Google magnesium and head aches. No joke, I swear by it.
I just got mag supplements today for myself. For the laxative effect (now instantly I am constipated) and to help with sleep. I hope it helps with other things too

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#15 of 20 Old 05-30-2010, 06:04 AM

The headaches have started for me this week: I have been waking up with a bad headache, in combination with a queasy / nauseous feeling and sensitivity to light every morning. The headaches subside after a few hours. I dramatically reduced my caffeine intake three weeks ago already, so it's not just the caffeine. And I have been taking magnesium supplements already for months (but cannot take too much, because their laxative effect is quite pronounced). Anyone else recognizing this?
#16 of 20 Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 PM

EllisH- That sounds like pure hormones to me, since it in combo with the morning sickness. With the mag supplements, you might try switching to an easier absorbed form of magnesium citrate... There are few different forms out there. I use Magnesium citrate, and I can take tons without having, um, problems. It's also a matter of building up tolerance, which does happen. You can raise your dose slowly over time, and eventually you'll be able to take enough to knock a headache dead without running to the toilet. Hope that helps. There are really a lot of nutrient deficiencies tied to headaches. Kelp is a really great trace mineral source. It has a lot of iodine, another nutrient found to be deficient in frequent headache sufferers. You might try that as well.

I wanted to add that pregnancy is a time when there is a huge nutrient burden on our bodies. If you aren't taking enough nutrients in, your body will take everything you've got to give it to the baby. I think that is the cause of many of these deficiency symptoms women get when pregnant. It's really important to get extra while pregnant, not only so there is enough for a healthy baby, but so that your body isn't depleted in the process of making one. Okay... So that is my PSA for the day. I'll get off my nutrition highhorse now.

One more thing... I don't think prenatals cut it, just for the record. The RDA is minimum wage nutrition. The standard American diet is very sadly lacking so many, many things. We've got to go above and beyond the recommended norms when pregnant. I know there's a lot of information out there pointing to the dangers in getting too much of any one nutrient... Vitamin A, for instance(the synthetic form is the dangerous one). That's why we need to educate ourselves and dig deeper. Whole, natural, organic, nutrient dense foods are the way to go. And there are definitely some cases where high quality nutrient supplements are needed. I guess I'm just saying I want everybody to have the healthiest pregnancy, birth, and baby possible... Please, please eat well and supplement smartly!
#17 of 20 Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 AM

Thank you, SB! The irony is that I was getting concerned before I got nauseous that I didn't have the symptom (as it's a positive sign of hormone increase). But it's hard to feel too relieved when you feel so bad. And to keep eating (healthy), but I think I am managing overall :-)

I'll try a new form of Magnesium - can you recommend a brand? And I'll look for foods with iodine - my friend had already recommended it, but not yet in connection with the headaches.
#18 of 20 Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Well, I use a drink mix called Natural Calm. It comes in a few different flavors, I like them all. Tart and fizzy. The dosage isn't terribly high, but I mix it a little heavier than recommended. I really find that it helps me much more than taking a tablet form... I can feel it "working" almost instantly, and I can custom mix according to how much I feel I need, rather than taking a giant pill with tons of milligrams. Here is a link to the website for the product. It's kinda pricey, but we buy the big bottle and it seems to last us(a family of four, STB 5 *haha*) a long time, two or three months most of the time. I have the kids drink it when they get wonky. It's a really good way to make sure the kids get enough mag... We call it lemon soda, they think it is a special drink like pop or something.

I am a huge proponent of iodine supplementation. I can go on and on and on. I had a LOT of issues that cleared up after a few months of supplementation. During my pregnancy with my daughter(my last preg.) I had a lot of deficiency symptoms manifest that left me totally tapped out after her birth. I was eating a diet notoriously low in iodine, and baking a girl baby(who take up more iodine in formation, iodine is an especially feminine nutrient). I think if I didn't start supplementing when I did, I would have had some SERIOUS health problems. It's not one of those things that you can be willy-nilly about. Food sources(sea veggies like the various forms of kelp) are the safest way to go, though I use food grade drops. It has helped me immensely. It's another one of those nutrients we in the US are terribly deficient in, women especially hit hard. Not to mention all the chemicals ubiquitous in our environment that interfere with our iodine intake and usage. You might want to check out The Iodine Thread over in Health and Healing here on MDC. Very informative stuff.
#19 of 20 Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 AM
myk

caffeine reduction can totally do that. and dehydration. and being hungry. and for no reason. at least, that's what i say cause i've had a SPLITTING headache all day!

January 2011
#20 of 20 Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 AM

SB, that's actually the brand of magnesium I am using (very tasty - assuming you let the cocktail sit for a few minutes, something I hadn't figured out in the very beginning...). I am still a bit sensitive to it.

I will definitely work on my iodine intake - I've got the seaweed and the broth lined up already!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page