anyone losing weight without M/S? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting this pregnancy on the heavy side and after 8 weeks, I've lost 5 pounds. I'm not trying to lose weight and I have no morning sickness - I'm just eating really, really well and not drinking any alcohol anymore. Even with my exercise level going way down, I've still dropped weight.

Is this ok? I feel like I'm finally probably eating what normal people eat every day, but it's less (and much healthier) than what I previously ate. Is it safe to assume that the baby is getting what it needs? I'm hoping to gain only 10-15 pounds during this pregnancy because of my starting weight.
#2 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 PM

My hormones regulate in pregnancy and my last two pregnancies I lost until the very end with my son, and didn't gain all I lost back with my daughter. My kids were healthy and my care providers never worried.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#3 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM

It can be perfectly healthy to lose as long as your starting weight is high enough. I know I'm in that bracket right now, but I always pack it on anyway.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM

I did some looking around and found a few studies that said as long as you are getting adequate nutrition during pregnancy, if you are overweight it is actually better to lose some than to gain. Now this is saying that you do have to be taking in adequate food/calories, but depending on your weight and how you were eating before, if you suddenly start eating better and being more active its no surprise that you might lose some.

The key point is you can't starve yourself, you *have* to eat an adequate amount of calories and a variety of foods to be safe. You also don't wanna push yourself too hard to fast working out. If it just so happens that by doing those two things you lose weight then you are ok.

Here are some links :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0605185550.htm
#5 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 PM

I think it's ok as long as your eating/activity habits are healthy ones. I haven't been vomiting this time, but I'm down a few pounds from when I started. I don't have much of an appetite, and when I do eat, I'm not eating junk like I was before.

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#6 of 12 Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM

I've lost about four pounds and I don't have m/s. I think it's because I've been eating healthier. Right now fried foods turn me off. However, cookies do not so I'm sure I will gain it back.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#7 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

I definitely feel better about it now - thanks for your stories. I'm very happy with how I'm eating - if I ate this well all the time, I wouldn't have gained so much weight after quitting smoking! Maybe I'll be able to keep it up post pregnancy!!
#8 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've lost about 5lbs. Havent been sick, but cant eat as much as I normally can non-pregnant, so I think that's where my weight has gone.

I'm not overweight non-pregnant. And I know that those lbs will come back, and bring friends! lol

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

#9 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 04:58 PM

I have lost about 5 lbs so far. I am 8 weeks and have had some morning sickness but not much. I actually weighed myself to see if I gained or lost. I have eaten a lot and done no more activity than usual. I am over weight though. I am not worried! This happened with DD too...then I gained the rest of the time.

They don't call me Big momma for nothin!
#10 of 12 Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm down 7 pounds at 10 weeks, despite going up three cup sizes and needing to order maternity underpants because my old ones are too tight. I've had pretty bad nausea and a lot of food aversions, so a lot of the time I just have to force food down. I've also completely lost interest in sweets, which were always my downfall - the only sweet things I've wanted since I've been pregnant are fresh and dried fruits. I'll occasionally have a bite of my partner's ice cream, and it just tastes painfully over-sweet and unpleasant. I also can't stand the taste of chocolate, which just makes me sad - Especially as I'm craving it all the time, but then I take a bite and have to promptly spit it out before I start gagging.

I plan on bringing up the weightloss when I see my midwife next week, but I don't think she'll be concerned. I was overweight in the first place, I have it to spare!
#11 of 12 Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm almost 7 weeks and have lost about 7 pounds in the past three weeks just from eating more healthy and starting to walk. I'm significantly overweight, so there has been a big change in my caloric intake just from eating more nutritious food. I'm working with a dietician to make sure my diet is appropriate.

K(h)aren. Writing/editing mama to my quixotic Sam (12.07) and my intrepid William (01.11).

#12 of 12 Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like I'm in good company! I asked the doc yesterday at 9 weeks and she said that it wasn't a problem since I'm eating well and enough - the baby will take what it needs first. Thanks for the guidance loseweightcoach - I was hoping to gain between 10-15 and the doc ok'd me to gain up to 20. I think I can check this off of my "things to worry about" list and move onto the next one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page