Poll Of The Week #4 - 6/13 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are You Going To Find Out The Sex Of Your Baby/Babies?
No, I am not getting any ultrasounds so I have no way to be sure. 10 15.63%
No, I like the surprise, I am telling them not to tell me or not to look 15 23.44%
Undecided 6 9.38%
Yes, I look forward to finding out 30 46.88%
Yes, we are finding out because my partner really wants too 2 3.13%
Yes, we are finding out because of medical or other issues that are affected by the sex 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat_canuck View Post
But that kind of seems like a silly reason not to find out - we dont' have to tell anyone what we've found out, after all.
Very true - but people have been asking me if we're having a boy or a girl literally since the moment I first told anyone I was pregnant, at five weeks, and I don't expect that to stop. And I don't want to lie to them, nor do I want to have to do the whole "we do know, but we aren't telling anyone" dance. So since we don't personally feel the need to know in advance, I figure it's just easier this way.
#32 of 41 Old 06-14-2010, 10:49 PM

DDDC because, hey, baby could come early, I heart Adorkable, and polls are fun!

Dh said, even before we started trying that he would absolutely want to know what flavor. I was pretty much against finding out, liking the idea of the announcement immediately following delivery better. But, I am so opinionated on most things and get most things my way concerning the baby that I will submit to his will on this. I couldn't know that he knew and not know myself so we will both find out.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#33 of 41 Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post
Being surprised is GREAT! Really, it was the best treat to have after all that hard work of labor and birth. For me, there's something different about the bonding during pregnancy when I didn't find out. I don't know. It was a little more spiritual because I had to visualize just the heart, mind, and emotion of the baby instead of specific a specific boy or girl. It's hard to explain, I guess.
thebeljur, thanks so much for saying this! It really articulates for me why it is that I don't want to find out before birth. In fact, when our DD was born, we were so thrilled and amazed by the fact of her existence that we totally forgot to check what gender she was until 10 or 15 minutes after birth!

I remember talking to my sister who found out with both her girls, and she said that although she didn't really regret knowing, she found that once she knew, her daydreams were only in one direction, so to speak, whereas before they had been fuller. So her pregnancy spiritual life was sort of cut in half. It's hard to describe exactly what she was saying, but I think you said it well.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#34 of 41 Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM

surprise, surprise, SURPRISE !

there's just something about not knowing that i love. i love thinking about names for both genders. i love wondering what i will have. i love friends not knowing anything about what to expect. for some of my friends, when they have a baby, there's really nothing to say because i knew the date of c-section, the gender, the name, the everything! i'm not anti-ultrasound, but i don't want to get a 3D one because it also feels like cheating. way too much of a sneak peak for my liking!

hoping for a !
#35 of 41 Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
i'm not anti-ultrasound, but i don't want to get a 3D one because it also feels like cheating. way too much of a sneak peak for my liking!
I think those 3D ultrasounds are so gross! The pictures they turn out are anything but cute, imo.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#36 of 41 Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM

If the baby cooperates we are finding out. Not because we want to know what to get for a boy or a girl it just drives me crazy not knowing.

My husband had the idea of finding out but not telling anyone else. It is a cool idea but I am worried I might slip and call the baby he or she on accident.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#37 of 41 Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
In fact, when our DD was born, we were so thrilled and amazed by the fact of her existence that we totally forgot to check what gender she was until 10 or 15 minutes after birth!
Oh, I did this too! I remember thinking over and over, "Oh my gosh, it's real! It moves!" The nurses had to remind me to check.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#38 of 41 Old 06-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Since this one is a "tie-breaker" (we already have one of each) I am sticking with the surprise, and am also not intending to have any ultrasounds this time unless the midwife feels or hears or suspects something that would prompt her to recommend one.

DH is a bit disappointed, because he likes seeing the picture, but if this is our last child, I would like to see what it's like to go fully intervention-free.

Switched to a homebirth midwife last time, for my HBAC, but had already had an ultrasound, and found out the gender.

With the first, we wanted it to be a surprise, but then caved at the 20 week ultrasound, but her legs were crossed and so she remained a surprise til the end.

This one being a surprise just feels right! I really like the idea of that big news to tell everyone after the birth, instead of "Well, Little Aiden or Little Madison is finally here!" having it be the more exciting "It's a Boy!" or "It's a girl!"

And unlike the 1st run through, I doubt we will be dying of curiosity... we already have one of each, so it actually doesn't make a difference at all, which it is, beforehand.

40ish homeschool.gif trekkie.gif guitar.gifhbac.gifnovaxnocirc.gif raising 3 kids with the help of their loving father.

#39 of 41 Old 06-16-2010, 12:53 PM

YES! We love finding out. We pick a name as soon as possible and start calling baby by their name. I also want to get dd used to the idea of having a new brother/sister, whichever it is. She's convinced this one is a girl, so if it's a boy, we're going to need a while to get her used to the idea of another brother. lol

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#40 of 41 Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM

I voted yes, because I decided that because of my age, I'm going to do the quad screen, and anatomy scan instead of an amnio. If they can tell me then, we are going to find out.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#41 of 41 Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adallae View Post
Oh, I did this too! I remember thinking over and over, "Oh my gosh, it's real! It moves!" The nurses had to remind me to check.
Yep, this happened to me too. I would have actually preferred that the midwife didn't say anything to me and just let me look when I remembered. What's the rush? I am not a big fan of interrupting or rushing a mama right after birth. She needs that time all to herself for her hormones to work appropriately and her body to transition without danger.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page