Who is still drinking? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What are you drinking?
Wine (both white and red ) 8 100.00%
Wine (red only) 7 100.00%
Beer 9 100.00%
Other Liquors 1 16.67%
Not drinking right now 50 100.00%
Was not a drinker to begin with 25 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
mra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not drinking any alcohol right now and haven't during my entire pregnancy so far. I don't think I could stomach it right now anyway, I can barely keep anything down! I went to Ireland a few weeks ago and I thought that I'd really be craving some beer, but the smell of it made my stomach turn. So much for my pint at the Guinness Factory!

I probably won't drink during this pregnancy, but I'm not much of a drinker anyway. But hey, if the desire strikes, I may just have a drink. Who knows? I certainly don't look down on pregnant women who have the occasional drink.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#32 of 49 Old 07-05-2010, 06:00 PM

I'm also open to an occasional drink (maybe a 1/2 serving) in the second and third trimester. This is my first pregnancy though (and I'm only 11 weeks), so we'll see if I even do that.

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#33 of 49 Old 07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra View Post
I went to Ireland a few weeks ago and I thought that I'd really be craving some beer, but the smell of it made my stomach turn. So much for my pint at the Guinness Factory!
Kind of a side note, but hugs over missing the Guinness while on your trip. I went to grad school in England and though I don't understand why it's been my experience that it really does taste better in Ireland. Obviously a baby is better than a pint of beer, but still - that had to be slightly disappointing.
#34 of 49 Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM

I had a sip of the most beautiful drink ever. My dp ordered a blood orange margarita, and it had floating limes and bright orange rind bits floating in it, and a thick layer of pink salt on the rim. I sipped it, b/c I had to, it was too beautiful not to sample, and I didn't like it. I felt like I'd had a whole bottle of tequila. Not drunk-wise, just overwhelmed with the taste and sensation aftermath. Damn pretty in that patio sunlight, I must say.
#35 of 49 Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
\Obviously a baby is better than a pint of beer, but still - that had to be slightly disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post
I had a sip of the most beautiful drink ever. My dp ordered a blood orange margarita, and it had floating limes and bright orange rind bits floating in it, and a thick layer of pink salt on the rim.
Sounds pretty. I bet the tequila would be overwhelming to the pregnant person... But I bet it's awesome otherwise. Now I want something with lime in it...

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#36 of 49 Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM

My DH makes his own mead, and I sample a sip occasionally. His latest was a batch from fresh blueberries, and it was yummalicious. He has a batch of strawberry mead aging right now.

Other than DH's mead, I am not big on alcohol.
#37 of 49 Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 PM

A Marine friend of ours is coming next week on leave from Japan... I'll probably have a beer over the course of the night.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#38 of 49 Old 07-08-2010, 03:04 AM

I abstain during pregnancy and drink in small moderation while nursing.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#39 of 49 Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm a light to moderate drinker when not pregnant. I consider myself a non-drinker during pregnancy. If hubby is having a beer then I might have 2 sips. He doesn't really get wine for just himself, but we had a bottle on hand & I had one sip the other night. I don't judge for drinking, but personally I don't know what I think is safe so a couple sips is my limit. I am known to be a wino so I wouldn't want to drink too much.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#40 of 49 Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 AM

With my first pregnancy, I didn't have a drop until after 40 weeks. At that point I was starting to become anxious about going into labor, so I had a partial pint of Guinness. It made me feel like I was at the end of the road with the pregnancy and about to return to normalcy, which was important to me at the time. Guinness also felt "safer" because of its lower ABV and, uh, micronutrient content...

This time I'm also not drinking, although I wouldn't be surprised if I had a Guinness again after 40 weeks. When I'm not pregnant I tend to be a somewhat irresponsible drinker, so I prefer to put myself on a zero-tolerance policy throughout my pregnancy.

I do miss it, though. I love vodka/gin tonics, a homemade Bloody Mary (have my own special recipe with lots of horseradish and fresh lemon), Domaine de Canton & prosecco, Vouvray, Carmenere, Belgian beers (saison, tripels, and wits especially), stouts and ales, Corona and lime, Pabst or Genesee, margaritas with fresh lime juice (salt and rocks), champagne punch. I could go on. I make infused simple syrups for cocktail mixing. I've made my own wine; my husband has brewed beer.

While I'm pregnant it's something I'd rather not think about. I drink Arnold Palmers (half lemonade, half unsweetened iced tea) when I'm out.

Mama to Quinn (3/09) and partner to James. Expecting #2 and planning a
#41 of 49 Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM

honeyhaze-we would so hang out & be bestfriends.

My Dh has made a few batches of beer-but nothing since we moved back in Jan. I'm a responsible drinker for the most part-but get carried away w/ wine. I love all drinks-beer, wine, cocktail drinks. Although I'm not a fan of some of the domestic beers like bud, etc. How do u make ur own wine? That is something I would def want to try in the future. The arnold palmer is good-haven't seen that since I've moved to Ohio though.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#42 of 49 Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 PM

i've had like half a beer is all...which i thought was weird because normally i hate beer but the last few weeks i've been craving it. turns out the morning sickness remedy my midwife gave me was mostly hops and fennel

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#43 of 49 Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjelly View Post
i've had like half a beer is all...which i thought was weird because normally i hate beer but the last few weeks i've been craving it. turns out the morning sickness remedy my midwife gave me was mostly hops and fennel
A few sips of beer is excellent for an upset stomach...just in general!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#44 of 49 Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM

well hops are pretty closely related to marijuana, so it makes sense that it has some of the same nausea-reducing qualities.

I've never made the connection before for medicinal uses, though. interesting!
#45 of 49 Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

I had a martini - extra olives - at dinner night before last. Then I took a bubble bath. Both were equally nice. The spinach dip was the best, though.

I had a glass of red wine last night. I was better than my dinner - marrow bones, french onion soup, steak au poivre - and all.
#46 of 49 Old 07-12-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
I had a martini - extra olives - at dinner night before last. Then I took a bubble bath. Both were equally nice. The spinach dip was the best, though.

I had a glass of red wine last night. I was better than my dinner - marrow bones, french onion soup, steak au poivre - and all.
All that sounds yummy...I haven't had any wine all week but I might make DF to stop on the way home and pick some thing up.

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#47 of 49 Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 PM

I had a few sips of beer the other night and it tasted so gross...

DH said it also smelled funny and checked the exp date....

Yeah, it was expired by almost 2 months. *blech*

#48 of 49 Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am all for a having a glass now and then, but after taking a couple of sips, I don't want anymore. My body def turns itself off any kind of booze.

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#49 of 49 Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM

I'll probably have a beer this weekend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page