Spent 5 1/2 hours at the ER last night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to use the bathroom around 6:30 last night (for the millionth time that day) and felt a little gush and then saw that I was bleeding. I called the doctor's office, but it was after hours of course so the doctor on call said I could rest for the night and come in this morning for an u/s or if I was really worried and wanted an ultrasound sooner that I could go to the ER. This is an IVF pregnancy after 3 years and many, many tries so there was no way I was waiting.

After 4 hours I finally got in for an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech was very cold, would not let me see the screen, and would not tell me anything at all. She said the doctor would have to do that. Finally, the doctor came in and said that everything was fine. My bloodwork matched up with the age of the fetus and the fetus looked great, had a great heartbeat, etc. and everything was fine. They have no idea what caused the bleeding, but it had pretty much stopped by the time I left the ER last night.

I am so grateful that everything is ok, but what a scary night! Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add that I'm just shy of 13 weeks.
#3 of 10 Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 PM

I have not but I have 2 close friends who have. The first went on to have a totally healthy baby and the 2nd is continuing on with a healthy pregnancy (both were put on modified activities (don't lift anything heavy).

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#4 of 10 Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 PM

I had a VERY similar experience. I think I was around 12 weeks weeks along. Had bright red bleeding... I was SO worried. I went to urgent care(wasn't going to do the ER thing) and sat around for probably close to four hours waiting on an ultrasound. I also had a very cold and impersonal ultrasound tech(borderline nasty, horrible scowl and not a word said). I tried to glance at the screen and he very rudely turned it out of my field of vision. Anyway the doc ended up telling me the fetus looked fine, that they didn't know what the problem was, but they told me not to get my hopes up. I never went back to the doctor again. I mean never. And that "fetus" is now a very exuberant 2.5 year old girl.
#5 of 10 Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 PM
myk

not personally, but my friend certainly did late in her first trimester or early in her second. they believe it was a "vanishing twin". who knows? baby's healthy in any case!

January 2011
#6 of 10 Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your stories. It's comforting to hear the success stories. The doctor said it's not really all that uncommon and that this is just a blip on the screen and I should not worry about it. Easier said than done!
#7 of 10 Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 AM

I had bright red bleeding early in my 2nd trimester last pregnancy, while I was 6 hours away from home and my OB. Scared the mess out of me. We came on home early and I bled the whole way in the car. I was a nervous wreck. Called the OB as soon as we got into town and he had us go straight to L & D to get checked out. Everything was totally fine, and it turned out I had a case of bacterial vaginosis that was just irritating my cervix and everything in that area. A few days of meds and I was totally fine. HUGS!

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#8 of 10 Old 07-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Wow, I'm glad things are looking good for you. But I can't beleive the ultrasound technicians attitude! I had bright red bleeding at 8 weeks, and went to the ER. The technician was so warm and caring and made sure that I could see the heart was beating before she finished and we saw the doctor. Dealing with that kind of fear with a callous technician would be heartbreaking!

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#9 of 10 Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 AM

That is so scary! I had something similar happen just the other day! I waited to see the doctor this morning and everything was fine, I heard the tiny heartbeat and I am measuring up just fine!

So glad everything is ok!!
#10 of 10 Old 07-08-2010, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a sub-chorionic bleed (I think that's what it's called) at about 13-14 weeks with my last baby. It was dramatic and scary and the ER people weren't optimistic. I also bled for 2 more months after the initial week long fiasco. Other than making the ultrasounds look "sparkly" which led to a lot of drama about defects and amnios everything was fine. Baby is a happy, healthy 1 year old.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page