What's for dinner? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else hate that question???

It's just me and my DH I have to cook for, and before pregnancy, I loved thinking of meals to cook for him when he got home. Now that I am pregnant, I'm finding it hard to think of something I want to cook. I feel bad when all I want is a bowl of cereal for dinner and I'm leaving my husband to fend for himself.

I am just at the beginning of my second trimester, so I'm hoping this food thing will go away soon!!
#2 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM

I haven't cooked in about 10 weeks! And I love to cook, so this is a challenge. I have a toddler, but she is fine with peanut butter and jelly.

I made soup last night, and was so proud of myself, but I couldn't eat it, so I still ended up going to the grocery store for my dinner.

I am 14 weeks, and still freaking tired, unmotivated and have food aversions. I can't even walk by the meat section in the grocery store!

At least my morning sickness has improved, I accidentally think i found my "cure"

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Today I am going to bbq some chicken breasts, cook up some rice and serve it with a greek salad. I personally am planning on spreading tzadziki sauce liberally over my chicken and rice while my kids look on in horror

I'm feeling half way human today so I think I will bbq two portions of chicken so that we can eat tomorrow if I feel icky. Tomorrow will be either chicken fetticine alfredo or a tex-mex chicken rice bowl (I'm a big fan of rice these days for some reason) depending on what I feel like making.

Kelly

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#4 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Funny you should post this...that exact question caused a fight in our house last night LOL! I swear at lunch time I get asked by my two older ones "what's for dinner" So around 5 pm, my husband asks the same question. I just stared at him and said I don't know what IS for dinner. I was tired and feeling sick, I couldn't even begin to think about dinner. He tells me "It would be nice to know ahead of time when I plan to not make dinner" No kidding, I would love to know the exact times when morning sickness will kick in. I got mad because I was not aware it was my sole responsibility to cook every meal in this house....so I left early for a mom's meeting I had and ate Wendy's by myself in the car. :-D

It does suck because I usually love cooking and I really, really can't stand it right now.

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#5 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#6 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM

In this house, it's usually me asking that question! My partner is an excellent cook, and loves to do it. AND, as an added bonus, he's pretty good about knowing what will settle well with my less-than-happy pregnant stomach, even when I don't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#7 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#8 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Eh, rice and vegetables. I am DYING for a hamburger, but we don't have any meat thawed. DH pulled some out just a bit ago, so I need to hang onto this craving until tomorrow night

#9 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 PM

we ordered pizza - we had to spend the day getting a medical exam for my partner's immigration application, and woke up way early to get to the doc's office on time this morning (appt at 9:30, and the office a 2 hr drive away on the other side of the morning rush hour...)

first pizza I've eaten since I've been pregnant - the baby liked it.
#10 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Probably take out again. I just can't do it and dh has been gone all day for work for our business that I usually do and I still have to take the kids to swim lessons tonight bcs he won't be back. I usually have dinner ready before swim lessons but I feel like crap and just don't think I will manage dinner so I asked dh to take care of it which means take out

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#11 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 PM

What a great question!!

I love food and enjoy cooking and planning yummy meals for DH. But i have no motivation for cooking when he is away because all the boys want or eat is pasta or lamb cutlets, so they have pasta and most nights since DH has been away I have had tin soup/tin spaghetti oh and last night it was two minute noodles!! Mmm really nutritious i know!
I try to eat my veges or salad for lunch so i know i've had something healthy during the day!
Ive filled my freezer with frozen meals and meat so when I go back to work next week (after 2 glorious weeks off) illl have food to give the boys when we get home. My lunches at work consist of subway or some other takeout, yep cops love fast food, but no donuts for me!
I cant wait for DH to get back so i can be healthy again!!

Karen, Police officer married to my hero Soldier, mummy to Harry 7 and Riley 3 and , due 10th January 2011 We're living the dream!!
#12 of 13 Old 07-14-2010, 04:07 AM

My DH doesn't even ask! Usually he walks in the door and after hugs, etc. I say, "You'll have to fend for yourself tonight." He's good about it, but I know he is missing real homecooked meals. I usually cook a good meal each night, but it's been two months of sandwiches, frozen pizza, and salads for him. He will be so happy when he has his wife back!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#13 of 13 Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 AM

Cereal. My husband is working late and my oldest daughter asked for cereal when I offered to make breakfast for dinner. I meant eggs, toast, fruit salad, but after a long day and looking forward to an evening alone cereal sounded even better!
I may order takeout after the kids are in bed, though, if I get hungry!

Next week I have an awesome menu planned, though. Homemade chicken pot pie, grilled pizza... I hope I can keep up with it!

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page