lesser of two evils? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-15-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have spent over a week in the hospital with kidney stones and a kidney infection. I was on Morphine almost the entire time. I'm home now and so happy to be with my children.
I'm still in huge amount of pain and was prescribed 2 vicodin every 6 hours, but I hate taking it. I'm not a huge pain medication person (last time I took a Tylenol was over 3 years ago), and being pregnant I worry about the baby... But what really gets me is that I feel like I cant function and play with my children, I've even tried to play card games but I'm so out of it with the pain meds. On the other hand if I dont take the meds I'm vomiting non stop from the pain. I cant snuggle with them or read them books or anything that we love to do together. I feel like I cant interact with them at all and I feel like a terrible mother.
I've been spending my days lying down and watching more Anthony Bourdain than I knew existed.

If you were me would you take the meds or deal with the vomiting?
#2 of 9 Old 07-15-2010, 11:05 PM

Take the meds, hands down.
#3 of 9 Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post
i would take the meds too! i'm so sorry you've been so ill. i hope your recovery goes quickly!

hoping for a !
#4 of 9 Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM

Take the meds. They need you healed, and if you are in pain, you cannot heal.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#5 of 9 Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM

I had to make that decision when I had a 3 wk old (and a 2 1/2 yr old and 4 1/2yr old) bcs I had a severe ear infection and the pain was intolerable. Unfortunately the meds just nocked me out so I had friends sign up to take shifts with my kiddos (we didn't have money to hire someone). That way my kids were taken care of and I could get a relief from the pain.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 9 Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
Take the meds. They need you healed, and if you are in pain, you cannot heal.

Take the medication. This thread should help you a bit (I hope). Scroll to post # 15 on the first page for all the meds I take and feel better about yours. And feel better in general.

Take care of yourself.
#7 of 9 Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#8 of 9 Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm in a similar situation. I'm a migraineur and my headaches in the first trimester have had me in the ER twice (uncontrollable vomiting). I've been prescribed morphine to take at home. (Which doesn't work very well - I *much* prefer my triptan - but that's a different rant).

The problem with allowing yourself to be in that kind of pain, especially with the vomiting, is that it takes a toll on your body too. The vomiting dehydrates you, as does the increased blood pressure and heart rate that comes with that kind of pain. Dehydration is quite dangerous during pregnancy.

Mum to DD 9/07 and DS 01/11

#9 of 9 Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM

I'm a long-time Vicodin user for severe chronic pain and tolerate it well at low doses, but I HATE being on high doses of the stuff. After I had laparoscopic surgery last year, I was supposed to be on a similar dose to what you're taking for at least a week. I started tapering down after four days because I was going crazy from the spaciness, and I paid for it big-time - I ended up being in bed and on pain meds even longer.

I recall that about the only thing I could do at that dose was watch tv and talk (not entirely coherently at times!) to my partner and friends. Could you maybe have your spouse or friends pick up some good kid's movies from the library and watch them with your kids? Or maybe have them bring quiet activities (coloring books, maybe) up to your bed?

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I hope you get better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page