Names? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that it's still early but we have decided on first names for a boy or girl already! With my first and second my husband refused to even discuss names until we found out the gender so that we wouldn't have to waste time arguing over the wrong gender. We were waiting a lot longer to conceive this little one so we talked about it quite a bit this time. Of course we leave ourselves open to changing our minds once we meet the baby, but so far we prefer to have a name ready.
Our names:
Girl: Faye (Dorothy?)
Boy: Finn (no mn yet)

So what are your favorite names right now? Do you pick a few, pick one for each gender, or wait to meet the baby? How much does it matter to you how other people feel about your name(s) of choice?

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#2 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 AM

DH and I have had the same boy name (Jude) since 2002, we've had 4 girls since then. Girls names are a little tricky for me, with our last DD we "tried out" a new name each day for her first 2 weeks of life, only to name her Frances. However a month later we changed her name to Beatrix because I couldnt stand people calling her Frank (I mean really who calls a little girl that?).
I'm really pushing the name conversation now because I really dont do well waiting until after the birth.
#3 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 AM

It's usually the first thing we do when we get a bfp. There was a bit of a delay on the boy name this time since we've already had to come up with three. Lol. If it is a girl she will be Thisbe Euna-Morelle (the middle names are my grandmas). If it is a boy it will be Trayvan Archer (I think). We don't care what others think of our name choices. In fact, we always love when stories of exasperated relatives question what name we will give the next child.

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#4 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 AM

Our girl name is Calliope (unsure of middle name) (Kuh-lie-oh-pee) and I told my mom and got a 15 minute rant on how horrible of a choice it is, how made up it sounds, how she will never be able to spell it, and how she hopes we have a boy because there cannot be a worse boy name out there. Ouch. I still love the name, but now am second guessing our choice.

Our boy name is Jackson Liam.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#5 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 AM

I love Calliope! I love Faye as well. That was my grandma's middle name. I think it is cute with Dorothy. I have friends with a Finn and two with Jackson. They are as cute as can be!

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
#6 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSarah View Post
Girl: Faye (Dorothy?)
Faye is one of my absolute favorite names but our last name prevents its use, so please, PLEASE use it. I beg of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
Our girl name is Calliope (unsure of middle name) (Kuh-lie-oh-pee) and I told my mom and got a 15 minute rant on how horrible of a choice it is, how made up it sounds, how she will never be able to spell it, and how she hopes we have a boy because there cannot be a worse boy name out there. Ouch. I still love the name, but now am second guessing our choice.

Yay! Your DH agreed to Calliope. I completely forgot to be on the lookout for good middle names. I'm in a name frenzy mode again, so I'll start a list.

And Heather? Do not - I repeat, DO NOT - listen to your mother. Calliope is beautiful. I promise.

And - yay, again! Jackson Liam. (Not that I'm partial or anything.)

ETA: Oh, our names! I completely forgot. We have our girl first name picked out (it's a secret, though) but we're still unsure about our middle name as well. For boys we're waffling between three deceased family members. For a long time we thought our first son would be named Samuel Martin, for DH's younger brother and for my Daddy. Now that my Dad is dead, Jack is on the table, though. We were unsure about using Samuel Martin for a little bit, though, and were entertaining other names. Now I'm more conflicted than ever.

Heather was just reassuring me just a little bit ago that we can have our large family that we want and we don't have to use all the names at one - that we'll have more than one chance. I'm trying to remember that (it's good advice), but it's hard.
#7 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 AM

Possibly Calliope Celeste? We were loving Calliope Rose, but Ross is out last name so that is a no go.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#8 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I love everyone's names!

Leigh- When I started this thread I was wondering if you would be using your dad's name to honor his life. I think it's a beautiful thing to do, but Heather is right- you can always have more babies for your names! Oh, and NO FAIR keeping your girl name a secret! We are totally sure about Faye, the only question was whether Dorothy will be the middle name, but I'm probably 95% sure about that too, and the husband is totally into it.
Finn is really gaining in popularity, but still hasn't broken 300, so I think we'll have a few years before it breaks 100 if it ever gets there!

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#9 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 AM

We have middle names picked out but no first names yet. Wierd I know. MIL is Patricia Katherine and we would liek to honor her in the name. I am not a fan of tha name Patricia at all. So Boy will have the middle name Patrick and girl will have the middle name Katherine. Now we just have to figure out some first names! I swea rif DD had been a boy she still might not have a name. We have a real hard time with naming boys. We called DS sparky boy for days before we finally settled on Elliot!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#10 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM

We're having a real hard time with this one. We can't seem to agree on anything. We usually pick out a boy and girl name. Not sure if we're finding out with this one or not, we didn't last time. We don't tell anyone before hand, I don't care to hear the opinions, especially from my mom or MIL. With Ivy, we could tell ALOT of family did not like it, but really couldn't say anything because she was already here... hee hee

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#11 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM

I am really boring this time. For girls I like Samantha, Nicole or Natalie. Pretty run of the mill. The other names I like that are family names: Lillian and Josephine, don't go with DH last name and are too close to DD's name.

I haven't thought of boy names. I will say we will not have DH's name. His middle name is Norbert and he is a Jr. No Norbert the 3rd. Sorry, not happening.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#12 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM

I like to have a name by the time I know what the sex is. I just like to call the little baby by their name because they already are this little person to me.

This is our third and the girl name came rather easy because we had liked the name before. Her name will be

Hannah Dean (Dean is one of my husband's middle names)

Finding a boy name was much harder. Names I liked my husband didn't care for and names he liked I didn't hate but didn't love. Then we found BRODY! So if it is a boy he will be

Brody Paul (Paul is my husband's first name)

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#13 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 PM

We're terrible about picking names - naming our pets has always been a challenge - so we decided that we'd each sit down and make lists of names we liked (boy, girl, and gender-neutral) and compare and see if we have any in common between our lists.

I have three index cards covered in names. My partner hasn't even started looking. I suspect I may have to start nagging, because I know it's going to take us forever to agree on something and we've only got six months to go!

I've got a lot of pretty girl names, but I'm having trouble with boys. And I keep wanting to call the baby "he" even though we don't know, aren't finding out, and I don't default to male pronouns...
#14 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 PM

I'm having a hard time finding 4 letter names, but these are the ones I am liking right now.

Boy: Elie, Zian, Irah, Aven, Emry
Gal: Ella, Iana, Aura, Lela, Mila

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#15 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM

This thread is cracking me up! I am like, "OOOoooooooh!! I love that name! OMG, I LOOOOVE that name!!" So far, the names I might steal from you lovely ladies are Fay (my first choice) or Faye, Calliope (love this one too, but DH not sure), and Ivy.

No idea on middle names though. If we go with Fay, will we have to find another one-syllable name? Kinda flows weird if there is a multi-syl name following a mono-syl? I dunno.

If it is a boy, we have agreed on Linden for the first name. Still searching for the middle.
#16 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Currently our baby is known as Swarley. My four year old picked it to be the baby's nonsense prenatal name, so we have something to call it besides "It" or "the Baby".
If Swarley is a girl, she may go a while with no name. We don't have a single name on the table.
If Swarley is a boy, his first name will be Thomas, after DPs dad. Middle name is still up in the air, with Michael, James, and Merlin as possibilities. They're all family names.
(I like Merlin. It's my grandfather's name, and it isn't boring )
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#17 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

I love everybodys names! I wanted to use Dorothy but my husband hates "old" names. Which unfortunately means Charlotte is out the window also

For a boy we have Oakley, and for a girl we have Leighton and Aurora. We picked these out about a month before we started ttc! lol. We want to pick another boy name so that when we have him/her in the hospital we will have names to pick from, in case he just isn't an Oakley.
#18 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM

We really haven't even been talking about it. I'm still having a hard time getting excited(even though this baby was planned) and I haven't even been thinking of any. All of our kids have six letter first names, so it needs to have six letters, and we'd prefer a biblical name for a boy since our other boys are Elijah and Jonaah. For a girl, though, I definitely want a hippie name, we are pretty set on Willow, but I'm having second thoughts because of their last name(it would rhyme). We do two middle names as well, and for a girl I have the second middle name, which is Ann(mine and my mom's middle name) but am totally clueless on a boy. I guess we have lots of work to do!

Jess,mama to Brycenangel2.gif , Elijah, Jonaah and Josiah
#19 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
That's exactly why we we now keep our name choices a secret. My mom did the same thing to me when I told her we were naming our daughter Adeline. (I mean, really, Adeline? That's not a weird name at all.) She went on and on about how our daughter will get made fun of and how it's such an old-fashioned name, blah, blah. Once she was born, though, you couldn't imagine her as anything else and now everyone loves the name.
So, we don't tell the name now until baby is here and you're automatically inclined to adore everything about it.

That being said, we don't have a boy or girl name picked out yet. I like the name Samuel for a boy, but our last name is Adams. I don't know if that's too weird.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#20 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
This thread is cracking me up! I am like, "OOOoooooooh!! I love that name! OMG, I LOOOOVE that name!!" So far, the names I might steal from you lovely ladies are Fay (my first choice) or Faye, Calliope (love this one too, but DH not sure), and Ivy.
Steal away LOL! We haven't met another Ivy yet Her middle name is Grace. For whatever reason DH and I were able to come up with that one really easy and early...not so much this time around.

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#21 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justduckyangie View Post
Steal away LOL! We haven't met another Ivy yet Her middle name is Grace. For whatever reason DH and I were able to come up with that one really easy and early...not so much this time around.
Grace is my grandmother's middle name. My first DD has my other grandmother's middle name, so I think everyone is expecting we will use Grace. But I am not keen on it (I have issues with organized religion lol).

It's ironic though, right after I posted earlier, my husband suggested Zorya. He is of slavic decent. I love the name and its background. So, Zorya for a girl.

Still working on middle names.
#22 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM

So far we have

Avalon Winter - girl
Maddox Reeve - boy

Not sure of the girl name but I think that is the name we are going with. I am 90% sure of the boy name.

As for what people think lol probably not with a London & and India however it is important to me that the names are great for kids and grown ups. I don't want my kids to be embarrassed of their names when putting it on a resume. Also the ease of which people can pronounce their name is important to me too.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#23 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusthrow View Post
So far we have

Avalon Winter - girl
Maddox Reeve - boy

Not sure of the girl name but I think that is the name we are going with. I am 90% sure of the boy name.

As for what people think lol probably not with a London & and India however it is important to me that the names are great for kids and grown ups. I don't want my kids to be embarrassed of their names when putting it on a resume. Also the ease of which people can pronounce their name is important to me too.
I love the name Winter! If we did not always use family names for the middle name I would be using that for sure!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#24 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Our girl name is Calliope
I'm tickled that Calliope was brought up in this thread. If DS had been a DD (which we were SO SURE he would be) our girl name was Calliope Sophia. Not using Calliope this time around. I haven't even thought of girl names, since I'm assuming we're having a boy. Our boy name is Gabriel, and I'd like to use Kevin as the middle name, which is my dad's name. He's still alive and would be quite touched if we did that.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#25 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJenese View Post
I love the name Winter! If we did not always use family names for the middle name I would be using that for sure!
Aww thanks I love the name and would love to have it as a first name but it is still too much on the fringe plus dh isn't having it as a first name. But as a middle names is kind of okay for him.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#26 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 PM

Aw, I used Winter for Otto's middle name. I didn't name him for 2 weeks, only called him Little for the first year, and then dropped the first name we had compromised on and went with Otto (the name I had chosen) after that.
#27 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 PM

We haven't really started talking yet---we might wait until we find out if we are having a boy or a girl. We have some very strict requirements for a name though--it has to start with an "M", not be a name used in the past 2 generations (all of my husband's family has "M" names so this makes it very difficult!) and I would prefer it to be either Biblical or related to a Saint. If the first name is not Biblical or related to a Saint then the middle name definitely will be.

I prefer traditional names also and it must have a normal spelling (no adding letters or changing letters, i.e. i to y). So, really there aren't many choices but I know of at least one male and female name that meet the requirements. :P

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#28 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mandy- I really like your names!
As for stealing Faye- I hope you do! I LOVE the name and it's not as though it's in any danger of hitting the top 100 any time soon, so we'll both have the only Faye in the class!

#29 of 65 Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:

We havent said 100% but Jaxson is at the very top of our list if its a boy but I think we will spell it with the x. I just like that its a little different. No middle name yet but would like it to start with a C

For girl we are at a stand still and cant agree on anything. Hopefully its a boy!!

Wife to Joe since 2004
Mom to Madison 2005, Morgan 2006, Joseph (Cooper) 2009 and Jackson 2011
#30 of 65 Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 AM

Right now we have:

Girl: Georgiana Lily (after my grandparents, George and Florence)

Boy: Leo Jasper (both of my grandparents were born in August. And Jasper is a little trendy, but I like that it's a nature name for a boy)

Our middle name for Georgiana might change, but I think we're likely to stick with the first name. Leo Jasper could change altogether...

We don't really have any backup names at this juncture, though. I like Dexter, but I can't sell my husband on it. I also like Athena a lot, but not as much as I love Georgiana. I've already got my 16 month old saying "Georgie" and "Gigi" for practice...

Mama to Quinn (3/09) and partner to James. Expecting #2 and planning a

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page