Caffeine, how bad is it.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have really been trying hard this pregnancy to avoid all caffeine, which I was able to do for a while. However the past few weeks, I am now 13 weeks, its the only way I can function. I try not to go over 200mg a day and sometimes its less. I may do one cup of coffee or if its ice tea can have a little more. I know the studies are inconclusive and I worry but at the same time I feel so tired sometimes my eyes start closing when I am taking care of my other two. I have never been this tired in a pregnancy. Anyone else using caffeine or have other strategies for staying awake?

Kerry, happy wife to hubby Chad, mama to ds 6, Rainbow ds 2, and 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 AM

Do a search there is tons of long threads either in here or the main pregnancy area with ladies nearly fighting about this, and chocolate, and drinking, it comes up one a week or so it seems.

As for good ways to stay alert, give your body lots of fuel, good protein does the trick for me. When I'm low on that or water, I seem to get way more tired. The other thing is to recognize that your body needs more rest right now and is asking for it.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 AM

I saw a story on the news, maybe the Today Show the other day. They referenced some new study that says moderate caffeine daily doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. They said moderate means about a cup of coffee.

Who knows what study they were referencing or how credible it is. It was one of those 2 seconds before we cut to commercial stories. Just thought I'd throw it in.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#4 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 AM

According to my OB I am allowed two servings of caffine a day. I never did ask what a serving meant but I take it as two cups of coffee.

I figure there are probably worse things to be putting into my body than a few cups of coffee a day.

I would like to see a study done on how processed food affects pregnancy. Disclaimer: I do eat processed foods too.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#5 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 AM

I think the 200 mg rule is a good guideline, it is what I try to use. Sometimes caffeine saves my life! It's the only thing that gets rid of my hormone headaches!

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#6 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 AM

I drink reduced-caffiene (but not caffiene free) durring pregnancy. A small amount is fine. Check out this recent ACOG press release: http://www.acog.org/from_home/public...07-21-10-3.cfm
#7 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM

I limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning or half a delicious cappucino that my hubby makes in the morning. One or two servings benefits my baby by increasing my brain capacity in the mornings. I am also more loving and patient with my kids after one cup. It's the worst thing I do so I feel okay about it.

Beth, mom of three

#8 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM

My midwife says stay under 16oz regular coffee per day. I had actually quit my morning cup of coffee, slowly. About two weeks later I realized I started craving soda. I indulged a few times a week, then realized maybe it was the caffeine I was craving, I tried coffee again. No more soda cravings, and since I drink my coffee black, I'm not putting all the crap from soda in me. I'm happier in the mornings now that I have it back. I drink maybe 10-12oz of just regular home-brewed grocery store coffee. Could be worse!

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#9 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21 View Post
According to my OB I am allowed two servings of caffine a day. I never did ask what a serving meant but I take it as two cups of coffee.
I would like to see a study done on how processed food affects pregnancy. Disclaimer: I do eat processed foods too.
I wonder about this too - processed foods - more childhood allergies?? My daughter has a soy allergy and soy is in everything processed now!

Back to the topic: I personally don't worry about it. I drink mostly water, but I do drink soda. I wouldn't rely on it to keep you awake though, because it can turn into a cycle. I was very very tired this pregnancy too. And I pretty much feel asleep while DD and I were playing. I think lots of water, telling my child I needed to rest (yes sometimes it meant her watching a lot of tv) and more snacks like cheese and peanut butter. And time. Mine went away about 15 weeks.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#10 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
I wonder about this too - processed foods - more childhood allergies?? My daughter has a soy allergy and soy is in everything processed now!
Both of my children showed a soy sensitivity when they were toddlers. We have never been big into soy but I got some soy milk to put in their cereal. My daughter brokeout in hives right when she had it.

My trainer at the gym is very anti soy. He finds all sorts of interesting articles online about processed soy and how it really is not good for your body at all.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#11 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 03:59 PM

I do recall reading once that caffeine is most effective in keeping you awake when taken in frequent small doses, rather than in large amounts. So, maybe you could just set aside so much caffeinated beverage of your choice that you feel comfortable with and take small sips of it throughout the day. This rather than having a cup of coffee in the morning, and then again whenever you get tired.
#12 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 05:14 PM

DDC with a "look ahead" story...

I just turned 36 weeks and I'm no longer measuring on target, like I was. I was sent for an amniotic fluid check and it was found that my levels are low.

I have immediately eliminated all caffeine and started drinking lots of water. The research I've found has indicated that the diuretic effect of caffeine can influence amniotic fluid levels.

At your stage, I would still enjoy a morning cup of coffee and an occasional Coke. But for me now... no more caffeine at all.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#13 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
I saw a story on the news, maybe the Today Show the other day. They referenced some new study that says moderate caffeine daily doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. They said moderate means about a cup of coffee.
This is pretty much what my MW said. Moderate amounts (a 20oz soda or cup of coffee a day) were totally fine.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#14 of 14 Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM

I love caffeine we are bff. I don't drink coffee and instead drink soda (maybe one or two cans a day). The soda is bad for my teeth but it really helps the nausea especially coke. I try to keep it to a min and drink twice as much water as I have of soda.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page