Solutions for acne? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, I had this when pg with my son and hoped it wouldn't repeat itself. I normally have pretty good skin, but my forehead and temples have broken out with the nastiest pimples and whiteheads. I was using the Burts Bees acne treatment but then read that using salicylic acid during pregnancy is a big no-no. Whoops.

Anyone have any natural recommendations for lessening the breakouts? I'm almost 14 weeks.

Happy Wife since 9/18/99, Mom to crazy sweet boys Noah Richard 7/24/04 & Jeremy Michael 1/27/11
#2 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM

I know no one believes me, but I use glycerin soap and extra virgin olive oil as a moisturizer. My face cleared up a lot. i don't have any need for acne medication since I started and my face was really bad.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 01:22 PM

I uses a good exfoliant scrub in the shower followed bu a very gentle face soap, then when I'm out I use a which hazel wipe that seems to really get into pores and clean me out. I use the wipe by itself again at night. I have not needed anything stronger as long as I do this all the time.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Norwex cloths!! I swear by them. I have NEVER had better skin since I started using them! They are 20$ for 3 but they clear everything up within days. They are magical!! No soap, nothing! I still moisturize because I cake on make up but they are amazing.
#5 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM

I swear by my clarisonic w/ a facial foam. Its pretty $$, but so worth it in my book. My scaly patches of skin are gone, my acne is gone, and my skin is so much tighter and the tiny wrinkles I was starting to get are gone.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#6 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM

I use Cetaphil, which is avail over the counter. Also my doc prescribed me a cream which is a mix of cetaphil and clindamycin, a weak antibiotic.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#7 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantHardlyWait View Post
Norwex cloths!! I swear by them. I have NEVER had better skin since I started using them! They are 20$ for 3 but they clear everything up within days. They are magical!! No soap, nothing! I still moisturize because I cake on make up but they are amazing.
Which ones? http://marysnorwex.com/store/index.php?cPath=27

That may be a really good route for me.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 PM

uh whoa - I had no idea salicylic acid was a no-no during pregnancy. Like, even in over the counter face wash?? Weird. I guess I'll have to head to the drugstore this afternoon.
#9 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

DDCC from February because I'm dealing with the same thing!

I also LOVE my Clarisonic, which was pricey, but worth every single penny. I've noticed breakouts when I forget to use it - or accidentally fall asleep for the night at 8 pm without washing my face (or brushing my teeth - gross ). I've also noticed a big difference since switching to Boscia skincare, which is entirely preservative and fragrance free.

Salycilic acid is usually not recommended during pregnancy, but this is based on a study where they gave it in massive oral doses to pregnant rats and saw birth defects. Pretty different from using a dime-sized amount to wash your face with! I actually used SA (in a moisturizer that stayed on my skin all day and night, no less!) all through pregnancy with DS without realizing it, and he is picture perfect. This isn't me saying, "You're being crazy," but more trying to reassure you if you've been using it and are worried!

I figure it can't be that big a deal if my OB/midwife doesn't ask at my first visit what I'm using on my face, kwim? Since pregnancy acne is such a common complaint, I would think that if it were a problem they'd make sure to let you know that SA was an issue, because I don't think most people assume that it will be.

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#10 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM

tea tree oil on the individual pimples, don't overdo it, once or twice a day so you don't dry it out too bad. lavender oil/witch hazel as a toner works real nice too.

Married the love of my life : on 3/18/06, SAHM to Livi 3/11/07 : and Eva 10/10/09 :
#11 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Yeah, I thought about it some more, and this babe seems pretty darned healthy, what with his/her heartbeat audible on the doppler at 7.5 weeks and kicking me pretty noticeably at 16 weeks...I think we'll both be just fine if I finish the face wash I have left. Although, now that I know, I'll probably go back to using Cetaphil after this is gone - I usually prefer Cetaphil anyways, but I like a scrubby cleanser in the summer time and the 'medicated' apricot scrub was the only kind in stock...
#12 of 13 Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Which ones? http://marysnorwex.com/store/index.php?cPath=27

That may be a really good route for me.
Those are the ones! The 3 pack of anti-bac face cloths. I recommend them to everybody!
#13 of 13 Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM

i find acne for me is usually due to dairy, even with this pregnancy. that's just me though. oh and i had to switch over to more natural detergent years ago b/c it aggravated my skin when i would sleep on my sheets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page