off to the family dr in a bit...I hope it goes well! **update post 6** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so here I go to the Dr. today to have a hospital birth...well the birth will be many weeks away. I have literally pages of typed questions to ask...Small font and no spaces. I really hope this goes well. I had my heart set on a home birth but my midwife got suspended for 6 months. so wish me luck.. I will keep you informed when I get back!

Big Momma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Good Luck!!

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#3 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Let us know how it goes!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#4 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Good luck Momma!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#5 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Good luck mama, I hope she is all you want, and more!! I am still praying fate takes a funny path and you get an accidental home birth. OR that you get a perfect, relaxing, calm hospital birth.

Something I just learned... if you do have your baby at home accidentaly, doulas sometimes know of MWs who can come do the mama & newborn exam (for a small fee) so you don't have to go to the hospital after the birth for that reason. Just food for thought.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#6 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

All went well. She really wanted to do a pap but I refused and she was fine with it. She did insist on doing an internal to see where everything was...everything is great and now we stay out of there till the end. She is actually more laid back than my mw from my last birth. My fave part was her answer to my first question..."What is your philosophy on pregnancy and birth?" "Mother nature has been doing this a lot longer than me and things went fine before it was medicalized." Big Daddy's only question was if she would deliver at our house. he declined but thought it was funny. 3 of her last 5 births were completely unmediated, one Epi and one other med. For a dr. she is really laid back. She had her babies vaginally but with an epi. Most of her answers were basically it depends on the situation and what the mom wants. She is totally cool with having a doula and respects written birth plans. so over all I am much more calm than I was before. I told her how I felt like I had to babysit the hospital last time and she said that this time will be a lot different. The Dr. even spent an hour with me answering a litany of questions without even batting an eye. I know my appointment was NOT for that long but I am glad she spent the time to talk with me!

Big momma
#7 of 15 Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 PM

That's wonderful!!

It's so much less stressful to have a provider who's on the same page as you.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#8 of 15 Old 07-31-2010, 03:24 AM

Wonderful update!! I was hoping I would find a happy ending to your saga!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#9 of 15 Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 AM

good luck! I feel happy that you will have a doula, b/c the doctor is rarely there through the whole laboring process like the midwife is, so he/she won't be able to control the nurses. Make sure you have multiple copies of your birth plan for staff changes, etc. And wait until the last minute to go. BTDT!!!

Jacki, old-fashioned, crunchy mama to five, grandmother to one.
#10 of 15 Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 AM

good news! Glad she seemed laid back and crossing fingers that you get the birth that you want

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#11 of 15 Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Happy it went so well for you!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#12 of 15 Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I asked when she would be there for labor and she said at 8 cm...and then constantly while pushing... That was a bit of a shock to me but my doula is one of my midwifes assistants... well that is who I hope to get and she can do a lot of the mid wifey things. Thanks for the ideas about multiple copies of birth plan...also I need to make a do not disturb sign for after labor. I hate that the nurses came in the middle of the might to tale DD for testing. So I am going to make a sign for the door so nurses will just leave us alone while we are sleeping. Has anyone done that? Oh yeah I need to ask about cloth diapering at the hospital. Off to make some more lists!

Big momma
#13 of 15 Old 07-31-2010, 02:06 PM

That's a great update!

I'm encouraging my clients to make "Do not disturb" signs for postpartum now. Our teaching hospital has a lot of studies going on so the study coordinators make their rounds and my clients get overloaded with knocks at the door. In fact, that's something I'm definitely making for myself just in case of a transport. I would be livid about that.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#14 of 15 Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigfam View Post
Oh yeah I need to ask about cloth diapering at the hospital.
With my son we never asked we just did. If you ask it gives them some dumb reason to say no.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#15 of 15 Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

I meant if they had some I could use there...that they wash But I never thought of that!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page