Apparently the sharp stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen is normal....what to do about it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw my doctor this morning and told him about this amazing pain I've been having. If I roll over in bed too quickly, change position too quickly, etc. I get this searing pain in my lower right abdomen. It only lasts for about a second, but WOW. It seriously hurts! This is my first baby, so I was not expecting it. Besides being really careful about how I move and going slowly, is there anything you ladies have found that helps this?
#2 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM

I would go to a chiropractor and make sure that you are aligned.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 01:29 PM

I second the chiropractor recommendation. I seem to be experiencing something similar when I change positions too quickly.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#4 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 PM

could be something similar to round ligament pain? I have it too, occasionally, usually if I move from sitting to standing quickly, and it only last a minute or so. I figure it's because things are starting to move out of place in my abdomen, and that means the ligaments and tissues holding everything together have to stretch and shift.
#5 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM

I too have this pain! It is terrible! I don't remember having this pain with my first baby!

Big Momma
#6 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 PM

It sounds like some round ligament pain. I have been experiencing that too. Mostly if I move too quickly or I am too active during the day.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#7 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

The doctor said that it's round ligament pain. Actually he said they don't know what it is for certain, but they call it round ligament pain and that it's totally normal.

I'll have to think about chiropractic. I've never gone and I'm not sure pregnancy would be the time to start if I'm not used to it. I haven't seen my acupuncturist in a couple of weeks, but I have an appointment this Thursday. Maybe she'll have a brilliant cure!

Has anyone found a particular stretch or exercise to be helpful?
#8 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM

others may know more about this than I do, because this is my first pregnancy as well....but I don't think there's anything to be done about it aside from don't get up quickly.

It's due to the ligaments that hold your uterus in place stretching as your uterus grows and changes shape. Just watch how you're moving. If standing up really quickly hurts a lot, then don't do that. But as annoying as it is, it's just stretching. I don't think you can actually cause any damage.

And I would think that maybe increasing the amount that you exercise might help some, as moving your body might help stretch the ligaments out more, but again, I'm not educated in these matters, just what occurs to me.
#9 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM

ahh round ligament pain. I was just complaining about it on fb. The quickest way to make it feel better is to massage the area. If that doesn't work then warm baths can help. Maybe some Tylenol if the pain is that bad. Honestly for me it is just normal pain that comes along with growing babies. Just don't shift too quickly and sometimes it helps to physically support the baby/belly. I also found that it happens more often after a growth spurt.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#10 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM

I went to a chiro and he applied a lot of pressure points to the area, he pointed out where it was, etc. and helped a lot in easing the pain.

There are some different forms, and some don't do the "bone crunching" stuff, but I personally like that. I started at 9 weeks to help with morning sickness but had to stop recently because he is having a baby and is taking a few months off, but will call in September to start up again. Anyway, as long as you get one with experience with pregnant women, I am sure it won't be a problem to start if you have never gone before.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#11 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM

I have that as well! It doesn't hurt enough or cause me enough concern to get it checked out and I also assume there is nothing you can do about it but not get up quickly!
#12 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM

I get it something fierce, especially at night when moving/rising for my many treks to the bathroom. I just went back into chiropractic care after an absence and couldn't have started sooner. This is my first pregnancy.

#13 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 PM

So I had a "caseworker" call from ins company to check on me. Anyways...I mentioned something about the pains ur describing-knowing it was common & called ligament pain or whatever. She said it was important to keep hydrated & that it helps a lil bit w/ this pain. Not sure how much of this is true-but just passing along the info.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page