Anyone using hypnobabies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone? I'm seriously considering it for this birth. I'd love to hear your experiences if you've used it before!

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#2 of 28 Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM

I have not started again yet this pregnancy, but I used and loved it with my DD's pregnancy. I didn't listen to any of the tracks during my birthing time, and I slept though most of the tracks, but it did not make a difference whatsoever. I retained all the information and it was very easy to use the techniques without even thinking about it.

I still use the techniques... when I am nervous, frightened, in pain, or trying not to internalize negative comments.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#3 of 28 Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 PM

I am a Hypnobabies instructor but I plan on attending a class taught by one of my fellow instructors so that I can be a student! I want DH and I to be able to attend the whole series together, even though I've taught it 100 times!

Nice to hear your experiences Heather. I think I have all of the concerns of a normal first-time mom so I love to hear about others' experiences!

I, like Heather, use the Hypnobabies self-hypnosis techniques for all kinds of things. Once you learn the tools, they can be applied to so many situations.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#4 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post
I am a Hypnobabies instructor but I plan on attending a class taught by one of my fellow instructors so that I can be a student! I want DH and I to be able to attend the whole series together, even though I've taught it 100 times!

Nice to hear your experiences Heather. I think I have all of the concerns of a normal first-time mom so I love to hear about others' experiences!

I, like Heather, use the Hypnobabies self-hypnosis techniques for all kinds of things. Once you learn the tools, they can be applied to so many situations.
Hi Jamie! I'm so excited to see your post! We run in the same circles and have a lot of friends in common. I'm a doula and work as an assistant with AT. I was just looking at your site last week and had no idea we were in the same DDC! I've been horrible about keep it thus far. I need to pick your brain-- I'll pm you

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#5 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 AM

I used hypnobabies with my DD and definitely found it helpful, but not *pain free* and I ultimately ended up with a C-section despite being highly informed, having a doula, doing all the *right * things etc....

So, this time around I am a little conflicted about how to proceed. Also, not sure if I will be given the go ahead to try for a VBAC or not, so I think that somewhat feeds into my current ambivalence.

However, for a normal birthing time (which most are), I would highly recommend it!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#6 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 AM

I want ot use it, but haven't been able to set up a good time to meet w/ the individual I'm meeting. Should I start now or wait til late? I'm right over 18 weeks. My midwife said wonderful things about going natural when using this technique.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#7 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 AM

I'm a VBAC and I plan on using it. I ordered the home study course (a wee bit early...okay alot early).

Anyway from the research I've done, it seems that although all may not have had a totally pain free labor and birth, most had good things to say about it. Some did experience a pain free birth and others said that while not pain free it helped them cope. I'm hoping for some semblance of the aforementioned .

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#8 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Christina - I replied to your PM but it wasn't until I saw your post that I realized you were in this DDC! Wow, small world!

Simonsez - I've had the same experience with students. No matter whether their birthing time is pain-free or not, people rave over Hypnobabies. Pain elimination is certainly one part of it but I think people go into their birthing times feeling so confident and positive that that alone makes the preparation worth it. Even when I'm with someone at their birth and they do experience some discomfort, I can tell a big difference between them and someone who doesn't have the hypnosis tools. They are great tools to have.

4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#9 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM

I used it with my first pregnancy, although we ended up for a c-section for breech. I totally credit hypnobabies for helping me rally connect with DS, and let him know that he was coming early via c-section. I used the Come Out Baby track all the way to the hospital, and DS was born with Apgar scores of 8 and 9, even with a c-section. Then I had a spot 'wake up' during the c-section, and used hypnobabies to stay relaxed and calm and avoid medication in my IV I did not want, and wait for the additional epidural medication to take affect.

I am planning an HBAC with this baby, and have already started my Joyful Pregnancy affirmations, and have ordered my VBAC Success CD. I plan on starting the full home study course again sometime after 20 weeks.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#10 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Chiming in again.

I used the home study course. And I think while I don't know if I consider my birth with my daughter pain free... it was certainly different with the sensations I felt with my two previous births (lamaze, and bradley), especially after they gave me pitocin. The sensations were SO different... I never ONCE felt like I was not on top of my waves, I never once felt out of control.... even in transition. During my waves, my face never tensed! In my birth story on my blog there are several pictures taken where my doulas were rubbing my back (I have scoliosis, so far I have had back labor with all 3 of my labors) and I was riding a wave... my forehead is not furrowed. http://www.sumnerrain.com/2008/06/09...s-birth-story/

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#11 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM

I would love to do hypnobabies, either the instructed course or the home course, but I just don't think I'll be able to afford it. I'm sure it's not in any way comparable, but if I were going to download just one or two tracks from the website, which two would be most important, in the opinions of those of you who know the program well??
#12 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Love your birth story Heather! You looked so relaxed! On another note, how did you like the fishy pool? (I'm currently researching birth pools...)

expat - one thing you can do is call Hypnobabies and ask about the Joyful Birthing set. It's two CDs so not quite as comprehensive (and is not by Hypnobabies) but is cheaper and still very good. You could also call them and ask which CDs would be best for you if you wanted to just buy a couple of individual ones. The Home Study is a lot cheaper than a live class so think about that too.

#13 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Have you looked into used home courses? They run $75-90 if I remember correctly.

#14 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Love your birth story Heather! You looked so relaxed! On another note, how did you like the fishy pool? (I'm currently researching birth pools...)
At the time I liked it just fine.... in hindsight though I won't be using it again because it was too shallow, and I am only 5'4". I also could not lean on the edge or water would spill, so it was distracting when I was trying to lay on my mom or husband for support. This time I am renting a tub from my MW, a Rubbermaid horse trough.

#15 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:

expat - one thing you can do is call Hypnobabies and ask about the Joyful Birthing set. It's two CDs so not quite as comprehensive (and is not by Hypnobabies) but is cheaper and still very good. You could also call them and ask which CDs would be best for you if you wanted to just buy a couple of individual ones. The Home Study is a lot cheaper than a live class so think about that too.
I will do that, thanks. Most of our extra money right now is going to buying really good quality food, and extra supplements (good quality prenatals, cal-mag, floradix, fish oil etc.). Not to mention moving to a new country...

I don't know that I could find an extra $70-90, not when I'm about to have to buy maternity clothes... thanks for the ideas, though!!

I'm sure Hypnobabies doesn't encourage sharing their packages, but I'd be totally down to helping another mama towards getting her home study course, if she wouldn't mind sending me the cds so I could put them on my ipod.... just sayin'...
#16 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
At the time I liked it just fine.... in hindsight though I won't be using it again because it was too shallow, and I am only 5'4". I also could not lean on the edge or water would spill, so it was distracting when I was trying to lay on my mom or husband for support. This time I am renting a tub from my MW, a Rubbermaid horse trough.
Jamie, I was at a birth last month with a fishy pool and the mom said the same thing. Too shallow. Does Nancy have an aqua doula you can borrow? My fav so far is the Made in Water birth pool. Perfect size and super comfy!

#17 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Heather, your birth story is awesome! It reminds me a lot of my DS' but without the hypnobabies. I keep hearing horror stories about how birth #3 is the hardest so I'm thinking hypnobabies is a good choice for me to mentally prepare and feel confident that whether the birth is easier or tougher, I will be able to handle it. I think I'll order the home study course off of amazon.

#18 of 28 Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalynsMama View Post
Jamie, I was at a birth last month with a fishy pool and the mom said the same thing. Too shallow. Does Nancy have an aqua doula you can borrow? My fav so far is the Made in Water birth pool. Perfect size and super comfy!
I think Nancy has an Aquadoula but I'm not crazy about those. Deb has a Made in Water but not sure if she rents it out to people using another midwife. I do think the Made in Water is a good design and I like the BPIAB design too. Trying to find one used...

Heather - thanks for the feedback!

#19 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I decided to look into a used course and ended up buying the 5th edition for a good price. My first birth was in a hospital and on pit. I'm hoping that regular contractions are easier to manage than those but decided it would be good to figure out some way to prepare for contractions in some way! (With my first I took an express childbirth class that did talk a bit about coping with contractions and I read through a Bradley childbirth book and that was about it....)

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#20 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM

I'm very interested in trying the home course, but I'm already signed up to take Bradley classes too. Do any of you think these two approaches would clash? Or hopefully complement each other? As a first-timer, I'm just looking to have a few tricks up my sleeve.

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#21 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Hypnobabies really does not suggest that you take their class with another. The approach is different, the language is different, and Hypnobabies has found that people tend to have the best experience when mothers choose a method and stick with it. Otherwise, the subconcious isn't really sure what to do or what you are working towards. They are both great classes but I do suggest you pick one or the other. And they are both complete classes and do not need anything supplemental to learn about the physiological process of birth, stages of labor, medical interventions, nutrition, exercise - they both teach all of those things in detail.

#22 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleka333 View Post
I'm very interested in trying the home course, but I'm already signed up to take Bradley classes too. Do any of you think these two approaches would clash? Or hopefully complement each other? As a first-timer, I'm just looking to have a few tricks up my sleeve.
I can't speak for Hypnobabies because I haven't taken the class and don't know anyone who has. However, I did take a Bradley class with my second and it helped me with labor immensely! It also helped my DH help me.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#23 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 03:44 PM

My used copy of Hypnobabies came in the mail without the CDs. The mom I purchased them from claims she enclosed them. It wasn't packaged very well and the manila envelope was torn along the side so I guess the CDs potentially slipped out. Ugh what a pain.

I assumed it's pointless without the CDs, right?

ribbonpb.gif
#24 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 PM

I just ordered it for myself. You can get a coupon code for something like $20 or 20% off on retailmenot.com.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#25 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
My used copy of Hypnobabies came in the mail without the CDs. The mom I purchased them from claims she enclosed them. It wasn't packaged very well and the manila envelope was torn along the side so I guess the CDs potentially slipped out. Ugh what a pain.

Oh no! The CDs are the most important part!

#26 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

Oh, that's awful! I can't believe that the mama isn't going to refund you some of your money!

I started the affirmations at bedtime this week and I think I'm going to start week one next Monday, I'll be 21 weeks. I need to figure out when to listen to my tracks. I think if I get up at 5 I should be able to do my yoga and then listen. Or maybe I'll do it the other way around so that I can spend my yoga time repeating mantras in my head.
Either way I'm super excited!

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#27 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Sarah - I haven't decided how I want to proceed yet. (I posted in TAO about it - if anyone wants to go weigh in on it.) I did use Paypal so I do have a chance for reimbursement.

ribbonpb.gif
#28 of 28 Old 09-14-2010, 03:17 PM

I decided to save up and get the home study course. It came last week, and I am very excited!!! I'm still figuring out exactly how to fit it into my life, but I figure I have time (I'm 23 weeks tomorrow). At first it seemed like a big commitment, but after I listened to the first CD assignment I thought--is it really that hard to commit to relaxing every day?

I've been listening to the Joyful Affirmations while going to sleep as they suggested, but I find that I want to think about them and so I don't sleep as well. Sleeping problems is one of the reasons I wanted to get Hypnobabies... So now I'm thinking of listening to that track while I do my yoga, and then doing the other track assigned to help me relax before bed.

I think it's already helped me, though! I met with an OB yesterday (complicated story that I don't need to go into here, but I needed to be assertive which I am usually not in those situations), and I was way more confident and assertive than I usually am in the face of "authority"! I credit both the Joyful Affirmations and my Bubble of Peace.

I'd love to hear how other DDC moms who are doing Hypnobabies are doing with it!

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page