The Feed-the-Freezer Thread! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a mix of my list from last time (btw I did NOT get to all of it) and things we froze before we moved last year.... I'll probably do some subset of this list....

Baked, breaded chicken (good for chicken fingers and for easy chicken parmesan)
Dumplings (it's fun to invite friends over to stuff them together... I use my sister's Korean mandoo recipe... make them with cabbage if you want to sneak veggies in)
Cooked taco chicken/beef
Soup (corn chowder, chicken soup, chili)
Chicken pie filling (and maybe freeze a crust?)
Stir fried meat and sauce... to steam up with some mixed frozen vegetables
Raw cookie dough
Cooked brownies
Fried rice
Storebought kielbasa and pierogies, fried up (um, not healthy, but very hearty)

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

#32 of 52 Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM

so far I've only gotten to freezing a ton of berries (blue, raspberry and black) and a bunch of tomatoes and corn from the garden. We are due to get a lamb and 1/2 a pig to add to our 1/2 cow that is taking over the freezer. Feeling kind of silly because I love to feed my freezer this time of year anyway...but trying to think of things that would work frozen (as in readimade meals etc...) for January 1 and beyond. hm...
Plan ahead? huh? what?
#33 of 52 Old 09-11-2010, 03:24 PM

I have always wanted to get a half a cow, but the prices I have found are too steep for me. I may save up for 1/4 a cow, which is around $475 here.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#34 of 52 Old 09-11-2010, 05:37 PM

Yeah, the buying huge amounts of meat all at once is a big cost. In the long run, however, we save a TON on it. Our family is entirely opposed to buying feedlot animals, so we stick with our local farmers and friends who raise animals. Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future we will be raising our own. I'm excited for that day- it's kind of like making your own bread, you know...you know EXACTLY what went into it. The love that goes into raising your own livestock is something you can really taste. It's amazing.
Meanwhile, though, we buy from friends who love their animals like pets.
And really, if you think about it, how much is organic grassfed beef a pound when you buy it from whole foods? Seriously it's worth it. Although, I have had to get creative with cuts of beef I've never seen before...

Anybody have any really good grainy bread recipes that hold up well in the freezer?
#35 of 52 Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM

OMG, If we had a big freezer we would totally go in for the "part of an animal" deals. DH's best friend's parents offered to go in on half a cow with us. It was sad to have to be like, "No, we just don't have the space." LUCKY!!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#36 of 52 Old 09-12-2010, 04:56 PM

I'm nesting big-time and have been channeling it into cooking lately. In the past few weeks I've made and frozen:

Black bean soup
Split pea soup w/ ham
French onion soup
Vegetable lasagna
Black bean & rice casserole
Red beans & sausage
Black beans with mango
Beef taco filling
Beef stock
Refried black beans

And today/tomorrow I've made/am going to make:

Banana bread with walnuts and chocolate chips
Pierogie and kielbasa casserole
Chicken, black bean, & sweet potato enchiladas
Garbanzo and cheese loaf
Rice and nut and mushroom loaf
Chicken stock

Other things I plan to make soon:
Tamales
Refried pinto beans
Vegetarian chili
Curried lentil stew
BBQ pulled pork
Breaded eggplant slices (for eggplant parm)
Blueberry muffins
Cranberry muffins
Waffles
Breakfast burritos

I have a big chest freezer plus the small freezer on our fridge, and I'm planning to have both completely full of meals by the end of the month. The busiest time of year for me work-wise is October through December, so I won't have any time to stock the freezer once the holiday rush starts - I need to do it now if it's going to happen at all! Plus this way we can raid the freezer for meals when I'm too tired to cook after work.
#37 of 52 Old 09-16-2010, 07:38 PM

I'm trying to get started in the freezer food trend but I'm having problems with space and volume. It's only me and DH (until LO grows)with a tiny freezer in a tiny kitchen. Any suggestions for storing small/2-person meals? I'm going to try freezing soups in ice cube trays so they are easy to portion. Any other ideas?

Laci(26), femalesling.GIFmommy to Xander(11/10) and wife to Peter(32).
#38 of 52 Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 PM

I too have a smalish family right now. Big Daddy me and a 3 year old girl. Big daddy eats a LOT! he is 6'8" with a rediculous metabolism. What I do is make meals doubled and freeze half of it in either a vacuume sealed bag or a zipper freezer bag. Lay the bag flat to freeze and it takes up almost no space. Stroganoff and other meals like that are great! and SO YUMMY!!!!!!!!

Big Momma
#39 of 52 Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for a timely bump!

I threw some ratatouille in the freezer this afternoon. I was so tempted to eat it for dinner...it smelled yummy!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#40 of 52 Old 09-18-2010, 12:41 AM

I have two pie crusts in my fridge because I needed four crusts and my recipe made three, so I doubled it and will be making them into quiches tomorrow. I was looking for ideas on how to use up broccoli, ham and mozzarella and decided to tweak this recipe again which calls for it to be pre-frozen. YAY! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quiche/Detail.aspx# Woohoo, they would be my first freezer meals! I hope this weekend I can make some waffles and double my recipe so I can freeze them too.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#41 of 52 Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM

I have a really tiny freezer so I plan to cook my butt off in December.

I have, however, purchased a couple of extra things of meat in prep. Beef Roast was on sale at Whole Foods recently so we bought it and I wrote "Feed the Freezer" all over it so I wouldn't forget!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#42 of 52 Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I have a really tiny freezer so I plan to cook my butt off in December.
Me too! I am thinking what I might just do is cook up a bunch of meat and then vacuum seal them in bags for the freezer. Then they will just need to be heated up for our meals to save a little time. (Taco Meat, Seasoned Chicken, Pork Ribs, etc.)

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#43 of 52 Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Well I HAD a huge freezer and have a ton of feed the freezer prep done. Thankfully, before I made anything to put into it, my son noticed the popsicles were thawed. I defrosted the freezer and plan on vacuuming the coils and such, but I am not holding out a ton of hope that it will pull through. Of course all this happened the day hubby left for 3 weeks.

#44 of 52 Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Ideas for small families -- I like to use quart-sized mason/canning jars... just the right size for two servings, possibly with some leftovers that would make a hearty breakfast for a new mama. You could also get 12oz or 16oz mason jars for some single servings when you're alone with baby during the day or just need an extra snack, or if you want to stretch your meals by pouring a smaller amount of stew over a baked potato or rice.

When I make these meals in the last trimester, I plan to make a little more than usual and just siphon off the extra to freeze. That way I can have a variety of things stored in my 1-quart jars instead of the same thing repeated over and over. (Ziplock bags are a great option, too... but I like to use less plastic, and the jars can go directly in the microwave to thaw.)

I have a normal sized freezer, so I will need to be fairly conservative with what I make ahead. Because of that, I am aiming to make frozen make-aheads last longer by supplementing them with something easy (chili over a baked potato, stew over rice, grilled cheese sandwich with soup) -- or by freezing just part of the meal (freeze meatballs, eat with storebought sauce and spaghetti, freeze cooked/marinated chicken, and steam up with some frozen veggies and rice; freeze shredded, cooked chicken, throw in the crockpot with chicken stock, tomato juice, and frozen vegetables for soup).

I do want to have a few meals on hand that require no preparation whatsoever, but we just don't have the space to have all that many meals like that.

Laura geek.gif, mom to fencing.gif Savannah (born 10/2008) and Indy (born 01/2011), and babyf.gifCheyenne (born 11/2012)

#45 of 52 Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM

I do plan on using a lot of freezer bags....

PLUS, I'm waiting for some Amazon points to come in and I'm going to buy a basic canning book...I'm hoping I can do sauces and stuff that way and save some space.

#46 of 52 Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the tips for small families, they are helpful. I used a previous tip about lining cassarole dishes with foil, then once frozen, pop them out so you can keep using the dish. It works perfect for my small size lasagnas. I made a hefty batch of filling and plenty of noodles then split it up into small 2-3 serving dishes. Worked like a charm and we don't have to eat leftover lasagna, lunch and dinner, for a whole week to keep from wasting it.

Also, I'm making cookie dough today. Big batch of plain dough, splitting it up then adding treats(chips, nuts, dried fruit, etc). I'm going to roll cookie size dough balls and freeze them that way so we can pull only a few out and still have warm fresh cookies.

Laurac5 - Do you ever have problems with the glass breaking from freezing? I use gladware style containers but glass scares me.

Laci(26), femalesling.GIFmommy to Xander(11/10) and wife to Peter(32).
#47 of 52 Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzipan84 View Post
Laurac5 - Do you ever have problems with the glass breaking from freezing? I use gladware style containers but glass scares me.
You have to use jars intended for freezing -- they are sturdier and are intended to hold up to more temperature changes. Canning jars are good for this -- they are usually labelled as canning/freezing jars. I would not use old spaghetti jars or other glass jars not intended for freezing.

You also have to be smart about how you defrost them. My first preference is to think ahead and put them in the fridge one or two nights before. I don't always do that, but defrosting in the microwave has always been fine in my experience. And if I'm honest with myself, I do it more that way than the other way. (Take off the metal lid and rim before you microwave, of course!) I think you can also do a warm water bath, just don't make it too hot.

#48 of 52 Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM

The newest issue of Real Simple magazine has recipes for large quantities of a few meals and they all look really yummy! They are meant to be for a meal swap, which is cool, but they are great for freezing too!
Here's a link in case anyone is interested, flip through to see more meals!
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...507/index.html

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#49 of 52 Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSarah View Post
The newest issue of Real Simple magazine has recipes for large quantities of a few meals and they all look really yummy! They are meant to be for a meal swap, which is cool, but they are great for freezing too!
Here's a link in case anyone is interested, flip through to see more meals!
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...507/index.html
These look great, thanks so much for posting! I love the specific freezing directions...I need that

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#50 of 52 Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

I'm FINALLY starting to feel normal again after a solid month of being sick, and I'm so happy to have some nesting energy to cash in!

Slowly but surely...

I put a banana/blueberry bread in the freezer today and will make up some dahl with spinach tomorrow.

I'm running out of room, though! We got our final CSA share last weekend and all of our goodies have taken over the freezer (yummy leeks and pesto and so much veggie goodness). I'm going to have to get creative in there. The mister may have to start drinking his scotch neat...no more room for ice cubes!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#51 of 52 Old 10-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Oooh, I just talked with my mom this weekend and she's going to bring up her electric knife when she visits at Thanksgiving... we're going to freeze sandwich slices from our Thanksgiving turkey, and maybe roast some beef for sandwich slices, too!

Yay for having babies due so soon after Thanksgiving!

#52 of 52 Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

A double batch of dahl with spinach went in today.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page