The Feed-the-Freezer Thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since it's the time of year that we're putting things by for winter anyhow, I thought we should talk about feeding the freezers for babymoon time!

We're in a new place, and I'm missing my huge deep freeze that we left behind in the home we sold. Now I have to make it fit above the fridge!

I poked through The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook (love that book) this weekend and bookmarked some of the freezer-friendly recipes to make over the next couple of months.

But first...I have 15+ pounds of roma tomatoes to deal with and a ton of crabapple juice that is crying out to be made into jelly!

Whatcha freezing, mamas?

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#2 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 AM

Woot! Love this! I will definitely come back and post this week.

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#3 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oooh!!! I was just thinking about this over the weekend. any tasty veggie freezer recipes you can recommend?

I was planning on doing a few containers of lentil soup, at least. Also some lactation cookie dough.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 12:47 AM

I'll definitely make some chicken enchiladas for the freezer. Also, some muffins and waffles for breakfasts. I'm not sure what else I will make though.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#5 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
do muffins freeze well? or do you freeze the batter?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
oooh!!! I was just thinking about this over the weekend. any tasty veggie freezer recipes you can recommend?
Why yes, yes I can. I'll post a list of what I've got bookmarked and you can let me know if you want me to PM you with recipes. Sound good?

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#7 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
do muffins freeze well? or do you freeze the batter?
Absolutely! I just freeze them fully cooked.

#8 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I was planning on doing a few containers of lentil soup, at least. Also some lactation cookie dough.
Lactation cookie dough, oooh do tell!! I'm guessing it has oatmeal in it, I'd LOVE the recipe. A cookie for a "good cause" I'm there!

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#9 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justduckyangie View Post
Lactation cookie dough, oooh do tell!! I'm guessing it has oatmeal in it, I'd LOVE the recipe. A cookie for a "good cause" I'm there!
I have this recipe for lactation cookies that was given to me a while ago. I've heard they are really yummy, unfortunately I've never been able to find Brewers yeast so I never had a chance to make them before DD weaned. Hopefully after we move I can find it locally at a store near our new house.

Healthy Lactation Cookies (with Honey)
Ingredients:
Dry ingredients
2 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix)
3 cups of Large Flake Rolled Oats (smaller flake is ok too)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Brewer’s Yeast
Wet ingredients
1 cup honey (spray measuring cup with oil to ease the honey out easier, or measure the olive oil first)
2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup Applesauce
2 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
1 egg (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
2 Tablespoons Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed, mixed with 4 Tablespoons water
Yummy ingredients
1 cup raisins and/or
1 cup dried cranberries and/or
1 cup chocolate chips
Preparation:
1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and add wet ingredients into the well.
3. Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the raisins and walnuts and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour. If it isn't binding together very well, you may wish to add an egg white.
4. COOL the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
5. Preheat the oven to 335 degrees (lower temperature due to the honey in the recipe which will burn more easily).
6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper). Press down with a fork to ensure even cooking.
7. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well and make a great snack! Enjoy.

Here is the link to the original recipe for lactation cookies. She modified it to make it more healthy. My other friend made the healthy version and said they were awesome!

http://www.redcanuck.com/2009/01/tak...-for-team.html

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#10 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 AM

I freeze the whole muffins from Costco all the time, they are just too big even for my brood to finish off before mold time.

I always make way too much so it wouldn't be that hard to feed my freezer, my dilema is always how to store, freeze & reheat. In the past I have frozen bean soups, waffles, etc. But I have yet to be adventerous enough to takle whole meals like lasagna, etc. I love the cookie sheet method of freezing my red, yellow & green peppers (slice into strips, lay on wax paper separated then an hour or so later transfer to a large baggie and they won't stick. My mom has been freezing them into multiple baggies as a large glob for years and she says my way is SO much easier and less wasteful.

So how do you freeze large casseroles or whatnot, do you need special pans like tinfoil ones so your other ones are not tied up?

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#11 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMama311 View Post
I have this recipe for lactation cookies that was given to me a while ago. I've heard they are really yummy, unfortunately I've never been able to find Brewers yeast so I never had a chance to make them before DD weaned. Hopefully after we move I can find it locally at a store near our new house.
mmmm Thank You! I want to make them now

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#12 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Ok so.... to freeze a large cassarole you line your pan that you plan to cook it in with heavy duty foil, prepare as usual and freeze. Once it is frozen remove the cassarole in the foil and wrap in more foil or place in freezer bag. That way you still have your pan. when you are ready to cook just place back in the pan you froze it in and cook. HTH!

I have already frozen BBQ chicken for sandwiches and I have a HUGE list of things that I want to work on for freezing. I did have beef stroganoff frozen but I already ate it... mmmmm... so good! I am not really a big veggie eater so can I please have some recipies I can hide veggies in. i am a meat and potatoe kind of girl. If anyone wants my list... let me know.

Big Momma
#13 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 PM

I freeze lasagna in individual peices so the entire pan doesn't have to be thawed at once. I bake it, let it cool and then slice it into serving sizes. i then wrap each serving in foil and put them in a freezer bag. Tha wa you can take out as many servings as you want/need at a time. it wa sgreat after DD was born and I could just heat one up for lunch after DH went back to work.

Mmmmm now I REALLY want some lasagna!! These food threads are terrible!

#14 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 04:10 PM

I think we are going to buy a deep freezer jsut for this purpose. We used to have to fridge/freezers that were side by side-but when we moved we didn't take either. Now we have a horrible old one w/ small, unorganized freezer on top. I used the extra for breastmilk so we might use it for that again too.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#15 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 PM

We were JUST talking about this in the car! lol We have an old chest freezer that I am too scared to keep anything but breads in anymore, so we are looking for a smallish upright before Abbott gets here. I'd like to have some stuff ready to go, especially for whoever keeps the kids during L&D, which is a whole other problem.... *sigh*

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#16 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 05:24 PM

I freeze cooked muffins. You can either thaw them the night before or put them in the microwave to defrost.

To freeze casseroles, I line my pan with plastic wrap then with foil. Make my casserole as planned then freeze. When it is frozen, lift it out of the pan and wrap securely with more foil then plastic wrap as needed. When it is time to cook, remove the plastic wrap and place the frozen casserole back in the original pan. Let thaw and cook until hot.

#17 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 PM

Love thsi thread!
I'm on the hunt for a cheap deep freeze, hopefully I can snap one up in the next couple of months!
Today or tomorrow I am going to make some black bean burritos to freeze and I really need to start freezing half of every batch of soup and doubling all casseroles. I love the tips on freezing casseroles- genius! When I freeze soup I always freeze it in muffin tins and then transfer to a freezer bag- they freeze and defrost so much quicker!
Oh, I'm also going to triple my pizza dough recipe and freeze some dough balls. Same with ravioli.

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#18 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM

This is great. I don't have a deep freezer though, so I'll be doing this in January. Sorta pushing it, but I need to guarantee the freezer space. I also need things I can hide veggies in.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#19 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 PM

I'm planing to do lasagna, red beans, veggie chili, lentil soup, black beans for taco filling, spaghetti sauce, mac and cheese and some enchiladas. I don't want to cook for at least a month.

I have a question. I'm planning to make my lasagnas in small pans so it will be just enough for one meal. Do I freeze them before baking or bake them first? I was thinking bake them first then I noticed that the premade ones in the grocery store are not prebaked.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#20 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigfam View Post
Ok so.... to freeze a large cassarole you line your pan that you plan to cook it in with heavy duty foil, prepare as usual and freeze. Once it is frozen remove the cassarole in the foil and wrap in more foil or place in freezer bag. That way you still have your pan. when you are ready to cook just place back in the pan you froze it in and cook. HTH!

I have already frozen BBQ chicken for sandwiches and I have a HUGE list of things that I want to work on for freezing. I did have beef stroganoff frozen but I already ate it... mmmmm... so good! I am not really a big veggie eater so can I please have some recipies I can hide veggies in. i am a meat and potatoe kind of girl. If anyone wants my list... let me know.

Big Momma
I would love your list. I'm buying a freezer just for this purpose (and so I can start buying in bulk).

It's pretty basic but I always add groud up veggies for meatloaf. I put carrots, bell pepper and onion in the food preocessor until they are well ground and add it to the meat/bread/egg mixture. They add great flavor without changing the texture. Meatloaf freezes well and I'm thinking of doing the same veggie mix for meatballs from now on.

I'm going to add meatloaf and meatballs to my list now!

#21 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM

You all are making me want a deep freeze! There is absolutely no where to store one in this house so all we have is a small freezer.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#22 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM

what do you use your meatballs for? I want to make some but I am at a loss other than spaghetti and meatballs or bbq meatballs... what else? I will give you my list when I get home.

Big Momma
#23 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM

You can freeze a lot in a small space if you freeze it flat in bags and stack them. I put the food in a freezer bag or a vacuume seal bags and freeze them on a pan so they are flat. then Take it off the pan and store. Anything that is not a cassarole can be frozen this way.

Big Momma
#24 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM

I really only use meatballs Italian style with red sauce, just because I'm part Italian and we eat red sauce a lot. I'm planning to make some then quick freeze them on sheet pans before I put them into bags in the deep freezer, that way they are separate and not in a block of sauce. They could be used for sandwiches or spaghetti. If you make them small they can be used in lasagna instead of ground meat, mix them with pasta, ricotta and tomatoes and bake it like a casserole or I also mix them in with ravioli, etc. So, all Italian dishes, but some variety.

I googled and it looks like there are a bunch of meatball soup and casserole recipes online that aren't Italian.

#25 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigfam View Post
what do you use your meatballs for? I want to make some but I am at a loss other than spaghetti and meatballs or bbq meatballs... what else? I will give you my list when I get home.

Big Momma
One of DH's favorite meals is meatballs served over egg noodles with brown gravy....it can also be served over mashed potatoes.

Homemade meatball subs are always good too!

#26 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

I can't wait until we move into our new house in a few weeks and I can start cooking and storing stuff in the freezer! Right now we have no place for a deep freeze but are thinking about buying one for the new house. Our new house also has a full in law suite in the basement so there is a whole kitchen set up down there with a spare fridge/freezer that I can use for storage. DH said I'm going to be like a squirrel storing up for the winter with all this extra storage space

#27 of 52 Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM

Ok here is my list if anyone can help me sneek some veggies in please let me know!

BBQ Chicken for sandwiches
Stroganoff (No sour cream till re heated)
Taco Meat
Lasagna
Sloppy Joe meat
Chili
Beef stew (no potatoes)
Corn Bread Muffins
Biscuts
Pasta sauce
meat Loaf
Grilled Chicken
Pasties (Northern Michigan specialty)
Mashed Potatoes
Blueberry Muffins
Banana Muffins
Chocolate chip cookie dough
P.B. Cookie dough
#28 of 52 Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 AM

I soooo want to join you! I only have a freezer underneath our fridge (two and half drawers. One drawer is always occupied by bread, so I really want to store some meals for the nights I really do not want to cook.
I am also Dutch, so this freezing thing is not really a tradition here as it is on mothering. But I really want to freeze some meals. Just put pasta sauce with veggies and with or without meat in a freezer bag for three persons? Is that the kind of thing you are talking about?
And muffins freezing? The small ones that are used as cake? We eat them only as a treat... Or do you mean bread muffins?
How to make mac n cheese? My DH went a year to the US and always talks about it, but I do not have a recipe..
I would also love some recipes for the crockpot but I think I will make a new thread about it because it is a whole 'nother thing!
#29 of 52 Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Melian--our favorite mac & cheese recipe comes from Alton Brown: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html . The only thing is that it calls for evaporated milk which is canned milk that is thicker than regular milk. I don't know if that is something you have or not. It might work just fine with regular milk, but I've never tried it that way. I do use much less cheese than what he calls for (just keep adding until you like the taste) and I leave out the hot sauce because I think it gives it a funny flavor.

The muffins we are talking about are usually not as sweet as a cake and are considered a breakfast item. One muffin is generally considered one serving, so probably similar in size to the cakes you are talking about. We eat them for breakfast and for snacks. Mothering.com just had a recipe for an apple bran muffin that looked really good. I am planning on trying it very soon. You might try looking in the recipe section here to get some ideas on healthy muffins.

#30 of 52 Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM

thebigfam: Sneaking in veggies is easy if you puree them! Things like zucchini puree and add to dishes nicely (as does spinach! IRON!)

We LOVE this recipe around here for Spicy Sausage and Rice Casserole: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-S...le/Detail.aspx

Chili also freezes really really well. My mom is known to make HUGE batches (think, a triple batch) and then freeze large ziplocs

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page