Aah! The heartburn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It just started with a vengeance. I was wondering when it was going to happen.

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to cut out coffee. It started the old fires a-raging this morning and they haven't calmed down since.

Has anyone tried papaya for heartburn? It's first on my list of home remedies. I am very open to other suggestions, too.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#2 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 PM

papaya didn't work for me. I had to go to zantac

I had killer heartburn last night....from of all things a banana! Ugh, when I finally took the zantac I started burping it up. Gah, I will never eat a banana again.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Oh my goodness- bananas ALWAYS give me heartburn and it's even worse when I'm pregnant! I ate half of my daughter's banana at breakfast the other day and I was suffering until after lunch!
This pregnancy has been amazingly heartburn free and when I do get it (stupid bananas) I can usually drink some sparkling water and get rid of it. My last two pregnancies were non-stop heart burn!

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#4 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 PM

I carry chewable papaya enzymes with me everywhere I go! I get heartburn a LOT. It isn't fun, but the papaya pils help enormously, and sometimes I only need one instead of the recommended 3.
#5 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM

I had never heard of papaya, but I will remember that! My heartburn has started the last couple weeks. It was pretty bad with DS, but not until well into the third trimester. I would welcome any other suggestions!

Mommy to DS 8/2007 and DS 1/2011
#6 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 PM

No kidding! I had a banana at lunch today and horrible heartburn afterwards! It's been bad for me for about two weeks now. I HATE it!!!

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#7 of 10 Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM

I have been eating papaya enzyme like it was candy since my BFP (an OB I saw reccomended it for m/s). It usually helps. I also put a little bit of baking soda in my sweet tea to help with the "bite" and it seems to help with heartburn too.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#8 of 10 Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up some dried papaya today and have been munching on it. I read that papaya in any form is supposed to be helpful, so holding out hope...

I swapped out herbal tea for my coffee this morning. Sniff.

And I grabbed some goat yogurt at the store. I can't have cow's milk because I'm allergic, but I can handle small amounts of goat dairy, and I read that a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt after meals is supposed to help.

Now if my two year-old would stop going boneless whenever we go out, forcing me to bend over and pick her up all the time, maybe I'd get somewhere! The bending over? Ouch!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#9 of 10 Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM

I hear ya about the heartbearn. I have GERD so normally I take prilosec. I had to switch to prevacid because of the pregnancy but I still have to watch what I eat. I feel like my stomach is so small, even eating a banana makes me too full and sick.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#10 of 10 Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 PM

I feel you on the heartburn! I can't eat anything with tomato sauce (i.e. ketchup, pizza). I can't drink juice ( and i LOVE apple juice) or gatorade. I would be up all night because I couldn't even breathe the heartburn was soooo bad!! I had to start taking zantac if I would even think about eating or drinking any of those things....which never gave me heartburn before!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page