The baby has found my sciatic nerve. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The baby has found my sciatic nerve.
This is my third pregnancy and I have not had this problem before..what can I do to help ease the pain , it was so bad it woke me up @ 3am last nite.

p.s...... I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago so I can't take any Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) (Aspirin , Ibuprofen , etc.... which your not suppose to have during pregnancy anyways. Thank you in advance

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 12:47 PM

go find a good chiropractor!

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#3 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM

For me warm baths and Tylenol cover it but I agree with the pp that said find a chiro. Also find out what is aggravating it and see if you can work around it or compensate for it.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#4 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM

I second chiropractic care. This happened in my second pregnancy and the chiro what the only thing to work.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#5 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM

One thing I've found helpful is to go on hands and knees and then lift one knee at a time and rotate it in small circles. (I usually do about 12 circles on one side and then switch.)

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#6 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
myk

chiropractor will address the cause (loosening of the pelvis). massage will help loosen the tense muscles. google "piriformis muscle stretch" for good ways to stretch out your affected hip, the sciatic nerve runs right under that muscle and can really aggravate it!

January 2011
#7 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
chiropractor will address the cause (loosening of the pelvis). massage will help loosen the tense muscles. google "piriformis muscle stretch" for good ways to stretch out your affected hip, the sciatic nerve runs right under that muscle and can really aggravate it!
Ha! Just what I was coming here to say.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#8 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 PM

My friend has sciatic pain without being pregnant and I second all the others' advice, she swears by massage (not sure she has tried chiropractic). I tend to get pinched nerves in my neck in pregnancy that radiate down my arm, and my very first visit to the chiro ever fixed it with the very first adjustment. I also can't take anything for pain other than Tylenol... OT: but what are your plans for birth afterpains? I know with my last one I was popping motrin like it was candy and now that won't be an option, Tylenol barely touches my headaches, or knee pain, so now I am freaking out about what to take.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#9 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 PM

DDCC

in the hospital for afterpains (if you go that route) they will probably offer vicodin or percocet. I am pretty sure that is standard. Both are safe in moderation during pregnancy and while nursing, as far as I know. Don't quote me on that though, I'm no doctor. Hope that helps. Oh and I second chiropractic. Make sure you find someone who will really adjust you though. A friend recently saw a chiropractor who was just doing hot compress and such. I couldn't believe it! Find a good one.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#10 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
OT: but what are your plans for birth afterpains? I know with my last one I was popping motrin like it was candy and now that won't be an option, Tylenol barely touches my headaches, or knee pain, so now I am freaking out about what to take.
With my first they just offered my tylenol with codeine. With my second I had a cesarean. I am allergic to percocet and was prescribed dilaudid instead. I have been told that dilaudid is highly addictive and I wouldn't ever ask for it on a normal basis. However, I am highly allergic to percocet and vicodin usually comes with a migraine in my case.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#11 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21 View Post
With my first they just offered my tylenol with codeine. With my second I had a cesarean. I am allergic to percocet and was prescribed dilaudid instead. I have been told that dilaudid is highly addictive and I wouldn't ever ask for it on a normal basis. However, I am highly allergic to percocet and vicodin usually comes with a migraine in my case.
I'll make a point to ask my midwife what she recommends.. since she can't prescribe anything. I think I still have some Lortab, but I am not sure if that is safe while breastfeeding.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#12 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
I'll make a point to ask my midwife what she recommends.. since she can't prescribe anything. I think I still have some Lortab, but I am not sure if that is safe while breastfeeding.
With my vaginal birth the Tylenol the hospital gave me worked fine. I didn't even use it all. You could take a day trip up to Canada and get some if your midwife can't prescribe it.

#13 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21 View Post
With my vaginal birth the Tylenol the hospital gave me worked fine. I didn't even use it all. You could take a day trip up to Canada and get some if your midwife can't prescribe it.
It looks like there is a great list on Kellymom on pain medications and breastfeeding. http://kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html#note4 It looks like Lortab/Vicodin/Hydrocodone is in the mid-range of safety and about the same as Tylenol 3. If my midwife is OK with it, I may alternate it in 1/2-1/4 prescribed dose with Tylenol extra strength for the first couple days.

Gemgal, how are you feeling this evening, any relief?

#14 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

I know its not very crunchy but, I'm having a scheduled c-section as I have with my other 2 so they will give me Lortabs in the hospital...as far as right now I spoke with my doctor and she recommended Tylenol, a warm bath, and heating pad for 20 minutes every 4-6 hours..and it has helped. I am thinking about finding a good chiropractor though. Thank you for all the recommendations

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#15 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgal053080 View Post
I know its not very crunchy but, I'm having a scheduled c-section as I have with my other 2 so they will give me Lortabs in the hospital...as far as right now I spoke with my doctor and she recommended Tylenol, a warm bath, and heating pad for 20 minutes every 4-6 hours..and it has helped. I am thinking about finding a good chiropractor though. Thank you for all the recommendations

I've found that what triggers sciatic pain for me is carrying around my toddler too much. Given that you have 2 other kiddos, maybe that's happening to you too?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page