Let's talk underwear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Instead of blowing out all my underwear, I bit the bullet and bought some Motherhood panties. I got the 'hipsters' because the lady said those were the most popular. I'm a 14/16 so debated between L and XL but ended up with the large. They suck. They stretch out like crazy and fall down! Anyone else experience this? Any other recommendations for good, reasonably priced preggo undies?? I was considering going back and getting a different style thinking that might help, but I really don't want to drop another $15 for 3 pairs of underwear that are going to suck.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I broke down and got some *granny*panties too....ugh I HATE THEM. But .whatever. I went to the dollar store and bought 8 pairs of white bikkini ish ones and I bought the Medium ones, fit perfectly. They cost $6 for 8 pairs. They are 100% cotton. Hate em, but I do not plan on wearing them after pregnancy so I am not spending a lot of $$$ on panties. They are very comfortable though, I do have to admit. lol

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#3 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 12:27 PM

I've been wearing these since the first trimester when my regular underpants started getting uncomfortable. I had a few pairs from before I was pregnant and noticed they still fit well even once I started showing, so I bought a bunch more. They're not maternity underpants, but they're cut low enough that they sit under the belly and don't dig in anywhere, and they're super stretchy without falling down. And they're soft! I'm also a 14/16 and I get the XL, which fit me well.

You can't get them in stores anymore, though - they're web-only.
#4 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 PM

When I was PG with DD I bought Old Navy maternity underwear and loved them. They don't fit me this time around but fortunately right now I can still wear my post partum granny panties that I bought after DD.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#5 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 12:59 PM

DDCC to say that I second the motion -- Motherhood maternity underwear sucks! I'm not sure if I bought bikini or hipster, but I wouldn't buy them again in any style. They look like soft cotton, but feel like a flimsy, old rag! (Motherhood has become one of my least favorite stores/companies. It's a shame they're the only maternity store anywhere close to where I live!)

I used to wear Lane Bryant underwear, and I never pitched them when I lost weight. I'm glad I didn't! I have both bikini and hipster styles. And while they go up very high on the belly, they are pretty comfortable. I'm going to need to buy some new undies soon, so I would love any recommendations!

Thanks for starting this thread, danipoppins! I'm glad someone else is in this boat!

stork-girl.gif She's here! She's here! She's here!
Baby Girl T - January 30, 2011
6lbs, 9oz   19inches
#6 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 PM

What is the reason for Maternity underwear? This is the first time I have ever heard of it. I have never gotten new underwear while pregnant. I normally wear low cut bikini style underwear anyway. Is this why I never have a problem with mine?

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#7 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 PM

I haven't had trouble with my undies either. I wear either low cut bikinis or thongs (look kind of funny with a big belly, but they fit and their comfy).
#8 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 03:21 PM

I use every pregnancy as a excuse to wear my "granny panties" just the ol' hanes 100% cotton white ones...their sooooooooo ugly but, sooooooo comfortable ..lol I figure I am too busy making a person to care about something no one sees but my DF.

p.s. I did buy some motherhood maternity underware for "special occasions" ...I agree they suck.

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )
#9 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM
mra

I'm also still wearing my normal underwear with no problems. They fit like they always have. I've been wearing my low cut hipsters from Victoria's Secret and they are still super comfy. I hadn't even thought about special underwear.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#10 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM

I just wear regular low-cut bikinis throughout the pregnancy. My neighbor brought me some granny panties while I was in the hospital after my (unplanned) c-section last time and she bought them huge, but oh my they were a lifesaver!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#11 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Glad to see this post. I was in Motherhood yesterday looking at their panties. I was tempted but the price was a tad steep.

I like wearing string bikini-style or low cut bikinis with minimal sides but have a heck of a time finding them. I used to love Gap's underwear but the last time I purchased them, they seemed to be very poorly made - developed holes in several pairs after minimal wearing!

I may just have to buy some Hanes for now and try to find nice undies later....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#12 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 PM

I know just what you mean. The last time I bought Maternity Panties was in 2004 when I was pg with my 1st. They were from Motherhood Maternity, and they didn't fit right, and were so shoddily made that the leg and waist elastic fell off in no time!

What I have done since, is get low-rise Plus Size. Most recently, I got Plus sized (several sizes larger than I "need") Boy Shorts ones, that have no elastic at all in the legs, because I love the comfort of DH's boxer briefs, but they aren't cut for womanly proportions, so are tight in the fanny.

It was some national cheapie brand like Hanes Her Way or something, and they are soft and comfy on the belly, plenty of stretch, no elastic to bite in the thigh crease, and I love them. Cute colors too. So I am sold, no more maternity panties!

I am also going to get plus sized soft stretchy leggings, knit pants, and sweats, again in sizes much larger, to accomodate a big waistline, as maternity pants to get me through the Maine winter comfortably in the third tri. I can't handle maternity pants with the stretchy panel, because they cut into me way down low in front, where the stretchy panel ends. If I designed them, they'd have a V-shaped stretchy panel going all the way down to the crotch, because those panels can be fine standing up, but then you sit down, and that nonstretchy part below the panel bites.
I guess my belly swells all the way down to my pubic bone.

Hope this helps for ideas to be comfortable! But yes, maternity panties are a scam IMHO.

40ish homeschool.gif trekkie.gif guitar.gifhbac.gifnovaxnocirc.gif raising 3 kids with the help of their loving father.

#13 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM

I bought some from motherhood last pg and I hated them too!

I usually wear Lany Bryant undies and still am very confy in the hipsters (thats the kind I like anyways) I have 2 sizes anyways and I can still wear them but the bigger (older) size is more comfortable.
#14 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM

I wear the same panties I have when pregnant or not and because they are low cut they don't stretch. I just get the cheapie hanes 100% cotton bikini style ones that go under the belly.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#15 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I went and bought a package of lowcut bikinis from the dollar store for a few bucks. Thought about pretty maternity ones, but I am really hoping my bum shrinks back to normal pretty quickly after delivery, so I hate to spend the money.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#16 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM

Someone posted about this on another board and several people said they bought regular grannie panties, but just in a size or two bigger. So I think that's what I'm going to do. I like hipsters and boy shorts but not real low bikinis so I think I'll graduate to huge briefs. Ha ha!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#17 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM

Oh...I'm a postpartum doula and was doing laundry for a client and saw those Motherhood ones. I don't know how they stay up? They look comfortable...if you don't mind them falling off. Didn't even look like there was any elastic in the legs?

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#18 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 PM

I love, love, love undies with thick lace waitbands. Also, even though I very much prefer cotton undies- these are super comfy and smooth and don't dig in at all either. They're also incredibly stretcht so they fit before, during, and after pregnancy.
http://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMall...k&frombrowse=1

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#19 of 25 Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 AM

I too hate my MM underwear! There's not a shred of elastic in the legs so I walk around with that part flapping in the breeze. So annoying that I've moved them to the back of the drawer!
#20 of 25 Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Ummmm ...

I have been wearing grannies since DD was born in 2007.

I bought some new ones at the beginning of the pregnancy because I needed some new ones anyway, and I got a size larger than normal. Now those are the only ones that fit.
#21 of 25 Old 09-17-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm still wearing my regular panties, all styles, but all ultra-low-cut...since they had to go under my low-cut pre-pg jeans.
I did, however, buy big ugly granny panties for PP...ones I will be more than happy to throw out when they get stained holding my giant PP pads in place
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#22 of 25 Old 09-17-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjelly View Post
I did, however, buy big ugly granny panties for PP...ones I will be more than happy to throw out when they get stained holding my giant PP pads in place
Posted via Mobile Device
YES!!! This is my plan too. I loathe the disposable mesh underwear the hospitals give out. I also loathe the pads they have too. So in my hospital bag I am packing some cheap granny panties and my own pads.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#23 of 25 Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 PM

I have some MM panties. They do roll down a lot, but every pair of underwear that I've tried rolls down over my preggo belly. They are NOT flattering in the least, but under clothes I don't mind them. I can't stand under the belly panties when I'm preggo and I can't stand thick waistbands over the belly either, so it doesn't leave much room for variety.

I second the granny panties for the giant pp pads. Those are a must. I think I'm going to get some from dollar general so I can throw them away if they get, ummmm... stained. eww.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#24 of 25 Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 PM
myk

i actually love my Motherhood panties. they fit me well, never fall down.. i guess i'm just lucky!

January 2011
#25 of 25 Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21 View Post
What is the reason for Maternity underwear? This is the first time I have ever heard of it. I have never gotten new underwear while pregnant. I normally wear low cut bikini style underwear anyway. Is this why I never have a problem with mine?
I'm with you. I've never worn maternity underwear. I have the same ole underwear that I've always worn. I also wear the bikini/hipster style.

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page