What kind of birth are you planning? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where are you planning on giving birth?
At home 37 45.12%
In a birthing center 12 14.63%
At a hospital 33 40.24%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious, since this is MDC and not Babycenter (thankfully!) What are everyone's plans for birth? Where are you giving birth, who is attending, are you planning a VBAC or natural birth or unassisted birth, etc, etc, etc!

I'm excited to hear what everyone has to say.

I'm having a homebirth - but not in my own home. My husband is deployed, so I'm traveling back to where I call "home" - so that I can be around family and friends. So, I'm having a homebirth in my in-laws house (where we lived for 3 years while DH was in training).

This is my first homebirth and first natural birth. I had an epidural with DD and an epidural and Pitocin with DS.

I have 2 lovely midwives and a doula - who used to be my backup when I lived in Arizona! - who will be attending my birth.

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula
#2 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM

I am planning a home birth. It will be just me, my husband, the midwife, and possibly the midwife's apprentice. And the baby will be joining us at some point :P

I'm kind of sort of thinking about asking a close friend to come and take pictures, but I'm not sure on that just yet.

#3 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 PM

at home VBAC with a midwife, a doula (who is one of my dearest friends) and my husband. My five year old is yet to decide if she wants to be around. I think it'll depend on whether its the middle of the night or not.
#4 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM

I'm still waiting to find out if I got a midwife. If not, it'll be a hospital birth with an ob/gyn and a doula. If I get the midwife, I'll start planning my homebirth. Then I'll have to decide whether it'll still be necessary to have a doula.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#5 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 06:03 PM

An orgasmic one! How great would that be?

I'm planning my first HB, my second MW-attended birth.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#6 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Birth center. I'd love to do home birth but I'm not comfortable with it for several reasons (closest hospital is NOT one I'd want to transfer to in case of an emergency, we live in a condo with regulations against waterbeds so definitely no birthing pools allowed, don't want to freak out the neighbors as sound carries quite easily, etc). I'm hoping if I ever have another that we will be moved into our own home and I will be more comfortable with a HB
#7 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandcheese View Post
I am planning a home birth. It will be just me, my husband, the midwife, and possibly the midwife's apprentice. And the baby will be joining us at some point :P

I'm kind of sort of thinking about asking a close friend to come and take pictures, but I'm not sure on that just yet.
I'm a birth photographer :-) I don't know how it happened, but I just ended up falling into that career.

I'm having a photographer friend of mine come and take photos as well

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula
#8 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 PM
myk

hospital for a repeat caesarean birth. i'd rather have a VBAC in hospital, but they don't do vbacs in town and i'm not willing to travel to the big city in january. sigh.

January 2011
#9 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Hospital VBAC

A free standing birth center would be my ideal option but as far as I know there aren't any close by that are allowed to VBAC.

I really like the hospital we are going to and my OB. They are very VBAC/Natural Birth friendly and I feel that we are in good hands.

I am not hiring a doula this time. I am weird about having someone I don't know that well coach me through a birth. My husband is an amazing coach and from what I hear the nursing staff is excellent as well. I for the most part just want to be left alone in my own corner doing my own thing anyway.

I am going to try to jump start labor if the baby is ready of course at 38 weeks using natural home methods. If they work they work if not oh well. I just prefer to not go late. I also plan on laboring for a while at home. Both of my previous births were completely in the hospital (24hrs then 12hrs). Maybe I can cut this one down to 6 hours.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#10 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redclover View Post
at home VBAC with a midwife, a doula (who is one of my dearest friends) and my husband. My five year old is yet to decide if she wants to be around. I think it'll depend on whether its the middle of the night or not.
I'm hoping my daughter will want to be a part of my birth. She'll be 5 around my due date though and has asked to watch cartoons rather than watch the birth. I also won't wake her if it's late. We'll see, I guess!

#11 of 47 Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 PM

I'm planning on an unmedicated birth in a hospital with a doula. I have an OB I'm seeing for this pregnancy (I've been labeled as high risk now so I can't see the mid-wives in the office for care). This is the same hospital where I had my son and had a natural birth with a doula and mid-wives for care. Unfortunately, there was some big stink a few years ago and the mid-wives are not allowed to practice there anymore. My OB's office still has 3 on staff for prenatal care though.

My ideal would be a natural birth in a birth center, but unfortunately that isn't an option here.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#12 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM

here is a poll i took near the begining of the time in our DDC, might be of interest to you, its still open so you and anyone are welcome to just back into it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1229986

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#13 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 AM

Hospital VBAC, hopefully drug-free. Honestly, as long as I get my VBAC the rest is just details.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#14 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 AM

Hospital birth- Hypnobabies style and hopefully pain free without meds!

I woudl be having a homebirth, but I risk out of the only MW on this island who will attend American homebirths and I'm not comfortable going it alone. So, we'll stay at home as long as possible, get in, have the baby and get the heck out of the hospital!

Sarah: Soon to be Mama to three! Tess(3) Lucy (19mo) and a new little light ready to brighten the world Jan 2011
#15 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 AM

I'm planning a midwife attended homebirth.
#16 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM

Hospital repeat c-section. I have type 1 diabetes, had a section last time and had a bad shoulder dysticia with my first and only non-medicated vaginal birth. Cards a restacked against me.
#17 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM

As much as I would love both a home birth and a VBAC, I will have an RCS in the hospital (of course). To many medical issues and fear for me to do it any other way

I am somewhat surprised that I am not the only one with this same response!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#18 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Hospital VBAC, using hypnobabies.

Found an OB who is does not encourage VBAC but will let me do it if that is what I want. Have heard great things about him from other VBAC Mama's in the area so crossing my fingers that everything works out and he does not change his mind.

One good thing I have going for me is that I can literally see the hospital from my front window so I plan on laboring at home for as long as I can. Would love to give birth at home but my OB is the ONLY doctor in this city that will let you VBAC (in hospital only) and I am having a really hard time finding a doula much less a midwife. As far as I can tell there is only ONE doula in the area and no midwives (?) (the doula will not return my calls or emails.). So a hospital birth it will be hopefully with a doula.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#19 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsez2u View Post
Hospital VBAC, using hypnobabies.
Me too. Love to do a homebirth, but closest hospital is over 30 minutes away and I am not sure if they are the best place to go. Actually I have my choice of like 5 hospitals within 35 minutes, but none closer.

Using a doula this time too, and midwives.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#20 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Hospital with a midwife. Thinking about a doula too.

#21 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieMay View Post
Hospital VBAC, hopefully drug-free. Honestly, as long as I get my VBAC the rest is just details.
AMEN to that. I am pretty much in the same boat. I am going to try to go drug free as long as I can and do other things before asking for an epidural.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#22 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM

I had an HBAC last time, best decision I ever made, and am happy to be planning another homebirth with the same great midwife this time.

40ish homeschool.gif trekkie.gif guitar.gifhbac.gifnovaxnocirc.gif raising 3 kids with the help of their loving father.

#23 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking of trying an vbac. In a baby friendly hospital. This time I'm definitely going to get an epi. (late epi == GA c-section for me last time. Never again.)

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#24 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 PM

A freestanding birth center with a midwife. Also, using Hypnobabies.
#25 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Hospital birth with a CNM (it's the only game in town where I am). Going natural and drug-free.

At-home mom to a teenager, an infant, and three in between!
#26 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Hospital birth hopefully med free. The hospital I am planning to birth at is finishing up some new changes like a new l&D that includes bed free monitors and big showers. Not sure about tubs yet, not sure where they are in completing the new l&d, one of the reasons why I wasn't planning on a january birthday but seems like the universe has other plans

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#27 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM

I really wanted a home birth but the only HB CNM in this state got suspended for 6 months. I can't afford a CPM so the only options were hospital and unassisted. So... we are having a hospital birth with my family doctor. She is fairly natural minded and I am having a doula who is actually my CNM's assistant. I will be laboring at home as long as possible and well if the baby is born before I go to the hospital well then so be it!

Big Momma
#28 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 06:14 PM

I hoping for a med free VBAC at a hospital! Since I am a VBAC candidate I cannot deliver at a birth center and DH won't even consider a homebirth because of the VBAC.

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#29 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM

I'm planning my second unassisted homebirth. Pretty excited!
#30 of 47 Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 PM

Second homebirth here!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page