October chat, anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's going on, January ladies? Is everyone busy gestating?

I have done not one single thing from my enormous to-do list. Hmm ... should probably get on that.

My cloth diaper order came in over the weekend. OMG, I almost passed out from the cuteness. How do you CDing mamas contain yourselves? I was so inspired that I blew most of the day Saturday entering cloth diaper giveaway contests around the internet ... I won a Happy Heinys cow print cover, which is only going to encourage this time-killing habit

How is everyone else doing so far this month?

#2 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Wow! Only 3 months to go for me. October for me brings switching providers so I am trying to not let the stress get to me. I also get seasonal depression in the fall so I am trying to celebrate fall by going on walks when the weather allows and staying busy crafting with the kids.

I have holiday bazaars in Nov and Dec so I am also trying to stay busy getting my stock ready for those.

For baby I have just a handful of covers to finish sewing then snap all that I have done. I think I went overboard but I won't be at a loss for cloth that is for sure.

My intense nesting/purging has slowed down. I got through so many nooks and crannys in this house I feel much better. I just have one more major areay (computer nook) and I will feel finished.

Other than all of that baby is growing, mom is healthy, family is happy.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#3 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
macandcheese - Curious about what CDs you got if you'd like to share.
I have a Happy Heiney that I purchased gently used and I really like it. No velcro issues like BumGenius!

soccerchic - I bet all the covers will come in handy. You nearly never hear someone say "I had too many covers". It's usually the opposite!
What do you sell at holiday bazaars?

I'm contemplating sewing myself a maternity shirt. It's a wrap style shirt and could turn out really adorable or it'll be a waste of a ton of fabric! If any sewing mamas are interested, I have a pdf for the pattern (limited sizing S-L only). It was originally free but the lady who wrote it is now charging for it. I'm pretty new at sewing so it's my inexperience that is making it such an intimidating task rather than the pattern!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#4 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
soccerchic - I bet all the covers will come in handy. You nearly never hear someone say "I had too many covers". It's usually the opposite!
I will have to let DH know someone else thinks you can't have too many covers.

For the bazaars I sell the yarn that I dye for my Etsy shop. I also knit up a bunch of snowman baby hats. I used to make tree ornaments so I bring those too just to get rid of extra stock. I used to knit baby sweaters but I get too many "oh I don't know if it will fit so and so's baby" or "I don't know what they are having" that I stopped wasting my time on that.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#5 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM

I have a ton of cute goodmamas from DS but I've decided not to CD this time so I'm more on the "need to sell" end rather than the "need to buy"... which is probably good considering how addicted to buying GMs I was becoming. We've got nothing on our "to buy" list. DH will get started after he finds out the sex tomorrow, and we do our Christmas shopping.

DH finally felt the baby move last night. After 2 weeks of me being able to feel it from the outside. He said it felt sort of like a chicken bone. And then made an alien joke. No first time dad can resist that one.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#6 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM

DH has a consult next week for a vasectomy. Is it strange I am more excited about the consult than I am my (almost) 30 week ultrasound that happens the next day?!?

I called all around and it seems almost all Urologists were booked until December and I started freaking CRYING on the phone even!! (After the vasectomy you have to DTD 10-20 times in 6-8 weeks, and where is the appeal in that when 9.5m pregnant and PP?)

My to do list is slowly getting shorter, thanks to my teenage boys who took it upon themselves to surprise me by cleaning the garage!! I am also about 50% done with the baby quilt I am making, and I still have a ton of cleaning, building, arranging, and organizing, which I am hopeful hubby can help me with when he gets home Friday.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#7 of 70 Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
DH has a consult next week for a vasectomy. Is it strange I am more excited about the consult than I am my (almost) 30 week ultrasound that happens the next day?!?

I called all around and it seems almost all Urologists were booked until December and I started freaking CRYING on the phone even!! (After the vasectomy you have to DTD 10-20 times in 6-8 weeks, and where is the appeal in that when 9.5m pregnant and PP?)

My to do list is slowly getting shorter, thanks to my teenage boys who took it upon themselves to surprise me by cleaning the garage!! I am also about 50% done with the baby quilt I am making, and I still have a ton of cleaning, building, arranging, and organizing, which I am hopeful hubby can help me with when he gets home Friday.
What helpful boys.

#8 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
macandcheese - Curious about what CDs you got if you'd like to share.
I have a Happy Heiney that I purchased gently used and I really like it. No velcro issues like BumGenius!

I'm contemplating sewing myself a maternity shirt. It's a wrap style shirt and could turn out really adorable or it'll be a waste of a ton of fabric! If any sewing mamas are interested, I have a pdf for the pattern (limited sizing S-L only). It was originally free but the lady who wrote it is now charging for it. I'm pretty new at sewing so it's my inexperience that is making it such an intimidating task rather than the pattern!
I primarily have PFs and covers right now. I found two awesome sales a couple weeks ago (REALLY cheap PF seconds at Little Lions, and a great sale on Thirsties covers at Abby's Lane), so that's what I stocked up on. I think I overbought on PFs, but I figure we can always use the extras as burp cloths, etc.

The list so far:

4 dozen infant PFs
2 dozen small PFs
2 Proraps newborn covers
2 Thirsties Duo size 1
2 Thirsties small
2 Thirsties meduim
2 Thirsties Duo size 2
2 Blueberry OS covers
1 Happy Heinys OS cover
2 BumGenius 3.0 OS pockets (for relatives, babysitters, etc.)

So yeah, I have a boatload of covers. I figure that the newborn and small sizes won't last too long before the baby grows out of them and some of the OS covers will take a little while to fit well, so that list should cover us for a while.

I think I might also invest in more pockets or maybe AIOs—we are out and about a lot at festivals, camping, hiking, etc., and it seems like they would be easier to deal with on the go...

#9 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21 View Post
I will have to let DH know someone else thinks you can't have too many covers.

For the bazaars I sell the yarn that I dye for my Etsy shop. I also knit up a bunch of snowman baby hats. I used to make tree ornaments so I bring those too just to get rid of extra stock. I used to knit baby sweaters but I get too many "oh I don't know if it will fit so and so's baby" or "I don't know what they are having" that I stopped wasting my time on that.
Re: too many covers — this is good to know! Right now my little pile of diapers looks HUGE to me ... but I guess that might change when I have a poop machine in the house.

#10 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandcheese View Post
I think I overbought on PFs, but I figure we can always use the extras as burp cloths, etc.

4 dozen infant PFs
2 dozen small PFs
2 BumGenius 3.0 OS pockets (for relatives, babysitters, etc.)

I think I might also invest in more pockets or maybe AIOs—we are out and about a lot at festivals, camping, hiking, etc., and it seems like they would be easier to deal with on the go...
I have a dozen of LL seconds pfs - I like them. I don't think you seem to have too many. As you said, they can serve more than one function.

I tend to be a pocket girl although I get a bit sick of stuffing those things. I also spend a summer with my guy in pfs and pul covers. Sure there's a bit more to pfs but you get used to changing diapers and it's not a major thing. The main reason I went back to my pockets was that the length on the pfs was a bit on the bulky side for my guy.

I'm hoping to manage to sew diapers for this new little one: fitteds with covers for the newborn stage with a couple of AI2's added on. I also hope to sew some small AI2's to augment small sized stash I have from my son. He may still be in diapers so his bum will be occupying the OS's that he also wore during his small stage.

ribbonpb.gif
#11 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 01:56 PM

So...it's totally un-MDC but I'm thinking that I'm going to buy a bunch of paper plates/bowls to use for those first few weeks PP. SCREW MY CARBON FOOTPRINT! It will just be one less thing to worry about!

Question: How young is the youngest you'd take on a plane? We want to visit my grandparents after this one is born but we'd have to do it around March-April (they're in Arizona...I'm not going there after April!) We'd fly (because I'm not driving that far with an infant)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#12 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 PM

How far of a drive is it? I have driven with a 6 week old and a 6 month old (1200 miles each way) and for me it was LESS stressful than flying with an infant. Now driving with her when she was 2, that was MUCH different. I have never flown with an itty itty bitty though.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#13 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
How far of a drive is it? I have driven with a 6 week old and a 6 month old (1200 miles each way) and for me it was LESS stressful than flying with an infant. Now driving with her when she was 2, that was MUCH different. I have never flown with an itty itty bitty though.
It would be something like 20 hours I think. Plus we have our toddler...he'll be almost 2 at the time.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#14 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 PM

I've been enjoying the cooler weather--it is finally starting to cool down a bit. It makes it good pumpkin muffin/pumpkin cookie weather.

Still haven't done much with baby stuff although I did go through a friend's clothes and have quite a few sleepers for newborn and 0-3 months. Another friend said she has some sleepers to give me also so I think I will be set for clothes for a few months at least. I figure baby is going to live in footed sleepers since it will be winter. I've been mentally going through my diaper stash and I have enough newborn diapers (I found 8 bummies newborn covers at a sale for $8!). I may need to get some preemie prefolds for the first few weeks, but we'll wait and see how big this one is. I do need to get some small covers--a lot of my small ones are on their last legs. I think I'm going to try the Flip system and some Blueberry OS covers. I have plenty of infant prefolds and quite a few Kissaluvs 0's. I prefer fitteds and covers to pockets when they are still tiny.

We are finally starting to feel a bit more settled in the house so I think I'm going to be able to start working on baby's room soon. I have also managed to put away 3 bags of sloppy joe filling and 2 bags of bbq chicken in the freezer so I've' got a start on meals. I'm hoping there is a freezer sale at the grocery store in the next couple of months so I can stock up on veggies.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#15 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
So...it's totally un-MDC but I'm thinking that I'm going to buy a bunch of paper plates/bowls to use for those first few weeks PP. SCREW MY CARBON FOOTPRINT! It will just be one less thing to worry about!

Question: How young is the youngest you'd take on a plane? We want to visit my grandparents after this one is born but we'd have to do it around March-April (they're in Arizona...I'm not going there after April!) We'd fly (because I'm not driving that far with an infant)
I don't blame you for the paper plates. Not a terrible idea really....
While I'm hoping to cloth diaper from an earlier age than with my first, I did take advantage of a really good deal on a pack of newborn sized disposables.

I don't think I'd want to take an infant younger than 6 weeks on a plane due to immune issues. I'm not one to hide in the house till 6 weeks but on a plane, you deal with recycled air for quite some time.

I'm jealous of the mamas putting food in the freezer. My freezer isn't very big and the nonfunctional ice maker takes up space needlessly. Add in that hubby buys ice when we have company over because of said nonfunctional ice maker and then leaves whatever remains in the bag for a long time, well, there's not much space.

ribbonpb.gif
#16 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I don't blame you for the paper plates. Not a terrible idea really....
While I'm hoping to cloth diaper from an earlier age than with my first, I did take advantage of a really good deal on a pack of newborn sized disposables.

I don't think I'd want to take an infant younger than 6 weeks on a plane due to immune issues. I'm not one to hide in the house till 6 weeks but on a plane, you deal with recycled air for quite some time.

I'm jealous of the mamas putting food in the freezer. My freezer isn't very big and the nonfunctional ice maker takes up space needlessly. Add in that hubby buys ice when we have company over because of said nonfunctional ice maker and then leaves whatever remains in the bag for a long time, well, there's not much space.
I did sposies with DS for the first MONTH and plan to do so again. Even at 2 months he was peeing every hour so I was constantly changing him...I can't imagine doing that in the first few weeks PP!

I'm thinking we'll take this new baby on the plane at 3 months. Nursing should be really well established by then and whatnot so recycled air shouldn't be AS big a deal.

I haven't put anything away either. Our icemaker works but it's still a space sucker!

#17 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Is anybody else having swelling? Just yesterday, my hands and feet started swelling. Not huge, but a little.
#18 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
Is anybody else having swelling? Just yesterday, my hands and feet started swelling. Not huge, but a little.
When I get dehydrated or eat too much sodium I do. Or when I'm on my feet for too long.

#19 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I did sposies with DS for the first MONTH and plan to do so again. Even at 2 months he was peeing every hour so I was constantly changing him...I can't imagine doing that in the first few weeks PP!

I'm thinking we'll take this new baby on the plane at 3 months. Nursing should be really well established by then and whatnot so recycled air shouldn't be AS big a deal.

I haven't put anything away either. Our icemaker works but it's still a space sucker!
I think 3 months sounds pretty reasonable, 20 hours is a bit much with a toddler and newborn and I don't blame you for flying. Is flying direct is an option?

#20 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I think 3 months sounds pretty reasonable, 20 hours is a bit much with a toddler and newborn and I don't blame you for flying. Is flying direct is an option?
It was last year!! It should be again. It means we have to drive to DH's parents house (the flight from here lays over there ANYWAY so it cuts out a layover to just drive there)

#21 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
When I get dehydrated or eat too much sodium I do. Or when I'm on my feet for too long.
Same for me with the swelling. If I am really good about my water intake I don't notice it too much. I am not totally swelling like crazy but I do notice a difference.

#22 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21 View Post
Same for me with the swelling. If I am really good about my water intake I don't notice it too much. I am not totally swelling like crazy but I do notice a difference.
Yeah, I ate Ramen noodles yesterday (fry up and egg and toss it in...so good!) and noticed my hands were a bit puffy. Like, DH's ring was tighter on my thumb than it usually is...and over the weekend we did a family reunion and I was standing in the heat more than usual and my shoes started feeling a little tight.
I'm really not complaining, though. With my previous pregnancy I couldn't wear my rings at this stage AT ALL and my ankles were always puffy.

#23 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
We took Anna on a plane for her first Christmas (she was born September 12) and it was great. A 40-minute flight instead of a 10.5 hour drive through the snowy mountains? Yes, please!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#24 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM

I traveled by train a few times and it is actually a good and relaxing way to travel. I just thought I would throw that in there. If I were to travel with a family pp I would go train with a sleeper. The food is really good and if you get a sleeper the food is free. Just my $.02
#25 of 70 Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM

So I had my u/s this morning. I didn't find out the sex! The tech wrote it down and put it in an envelope for DH so he knows. He says he's glad we had her write it down because he had NO IDEA what he was looking at when she peaked down there, and she did it so fast it was a blur.

Anyway, baby looks perfect. Everything is as it should be. S/he kept their hands over their face most of the time, but we did get a face shot. Baby is head down already, and facing my back, which explains the near rib kicks. I imagine there will be lots of rolling around for at least another few weeks though. S/he weighed in at 13oz, and the heart rate was 146bpm.

#26 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Just plugging along. One funny moment... This morning my SIL gave my DH a wake-up call because she didn't know we figured out the alarm on the cellphone. It was really early, and we were all sleeping soundly. I woke up with the ring, and then baby woke up too! Babe started with a big kick, and a roll and another kick... Like, "What the heck was that noise???!!!" It was cute.
#27 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Had some of the biggest kicks/activity yet last night & this morning. So intense I was wide awake at 4:30 and ready for breakfast. I think nesting is finally kicking in - it was sporadic for awhile, but now it feels more steady..
Already this morning, I've done 2 loads of laundry, made blueberry muffins, and washed our new set of pots and pans. I feel kinda hyper right now actually.

Too bad my work-related stuff is hanging over my head. But I did really good yesterday, so I shouldn't complain. It's actually rainy here in Southern CA, and has been for about 3 days - it makes it really feel like fall & holidays. I miss rain so much! I'm an east coast girl forever it seems.

The git 'er done list has me all kinds of anxious now & I feel like I should get started on some stuff.

Cloth diapering mamas - when you first started, did you clean your washing machine first? A pamphlet that came with one of my orders said to do that but I have no idea how. it's good to know you can't have too many covers, because I think I probably went a little overboard myself.

Mrs. Music - you're so kind to let DH know the sex! mine wants to know but I'm afraid he won't be able to keep it from me.

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#28 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleka333 View Post
Cloth diapering mamas - when you first started, did you clean your washing machine first? A pamphlet that came with one of my orders said to do that but I have no idea how. it's good to know you can't have too many covers, because I think I probably went a little overboard myself.
I don't think I cleaned it before I washed my first load of CDs, but I did/do clean it on a regular basis--every 1-2 months depending on use. With my previous machine, I would put 1-2 cups of baking soda in the detergent dispenser and run the sanitize cycle (it heated up the water). If you don't have a sanitize cycle, just run the water as hot as you can--maybe even temporarily turn up the water heater. My new washer has a built in cleaning cycle and the manual says to run it every 2 months.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#29 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 PM

I'm finally off my morning sickness medication!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#30 of 70 Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
I'm finally off my morning sickness medication!

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page