Failed the one hour glucose screening - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh. I can't believe I failed it. The cutoff is 135 and my level was 149. Is that significantly elevated?

I have to do the three hour test next week. No food or drink after midnight then a fasting blood draw at 8am. Then drinking more glucola followed by blood draws at 9am, 10am, and 11am and I have to sit in the waiting room the whole time.

At the same appointment, my doctor told me that I'm measuring ahead (not sure by how much). Should I be worried that I actually have gestational diabetes? I don't think I have any risk factors and I'm pretty healthy in terms of weight, nutrition, and exercise. And if I DO have it, should I be scared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 AM

I am living in Europe, so they do a 2 hour test which is somewhere between the 1 and the 3 hour in the US (you do have to fast for it). I had it done early at around 21 weeks at the suggestion of my doc....not sure if it is standard to do it early here or because I gained a lot of weight with my DD and she was on the larger size.

Anyway, I didn't technically fail, but all of my numbers except for the fasting were right at the very edge of the cut-off so they sent me to the diabetes clinic. She has been having me follow my blood sugar with a monitor and all of my numbers so far are just fine.

So, try not to worry....could be that upon further investigation, you are just fine. I have also heard of many, many women who fail the 1 hour, but pass the 3 hour. If you do happen to have GD, many women can control it just fine through diet and exercise and without medication. Also, it is possible to develop GD without the classic risk factors...just how some women's bodies react to pregnancy!

Good luck,
Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#3 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 PM

I failed the one-hour screening, as well. I had a 142, but my midwives have a cut-off of 140.

My midwives wanted me to take the test because I'm measuring ahead as well. I opted to take the 2-hour (they don't do the 3-hour test in Canada) because I'm in the process of moving from Florida to British Columbia (I'm currently in Santa Fe!) and I just didn't want to worry about checking my sugars and worrying about food if I didn't need to while we're driving across country . I mean, it's hard enough as it is, to be on the road for several weeks at a time, without having to be vigilant about every bite I eat, you know??

At any rate, the diagnostic test was a pain in the rear....well, a pain in the arm, actually, but I passed it just fine, and many many people who fail the screening test do just fine on the diagnostic test. My numbers for all blood draws were low-to-normal in all cases, with no numbers even close to the cut-off limits.

I cried and cried when I failed the screening test - I couldn't believe it! But the screening cut-offs are lower than they are for the diagnostic test, so you can fail the screening by quite a lot and still do fine on the longer test.

My midwives basically told me that whether I passed or failed the diagnostic test, I should take the experience as a reminder to eat well and make sure that I'm avoiding sugar and not eating too many carbs, and to make sure I'm getting regular exercise - even a 20 minute walk every day can make a big difference. They find that the majority of the time, their patients do just fine by making even subtle changes in their diets (i.e. eating sweets once a week instead of every day) and increasing their exercise levels. They said they only really worry if despite being strict about diet and exercise, blood sugar numbers can't come under control - but said that's pretty rare. It happens, and if it does, then it's something to take seriously, but don't get too far ahead of yourself!! In all likelihood, you will do fine on the diagnostic test, and you and the baby will be just fine with some tweaks to your diet.

#4 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I'm trying not to worry until after the test. I already exercise regularly and have a very healthy diet, so I was surprised I failed the initial screening. I spoke with a friend who failed the intial screening and then was found to have low blood surgar when they did the 3 hour test. Interesting to say the least.
#5 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just did the one hour test yesterday. My midwife was telling me that she's been researching GD since she has several clients testing in the next couple of weeks. She told me that the one hour test has a 25% false positive rate (people testing positive for GD when they don't have it). I've heard of quite a few ladies who fail the one hour and go on to pass the three hour with flying colors.

I've been measuring ahead consistently this pregnancy. I was 3 weeks ahead at 11 weeks! By the next appointment, I evened out I guess and have measured a week ahead ever since. Possibly your baby recently had a bit of a growth spurt and next appointment you may be closer to your weeks.

Mama to Blake, 6, and Grant, 4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, it's just a screening. A lot of women fail it to go on and be fine with the 3 hour. Good luck!!

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#7 of 11 Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 AM
myk

don't worry about it. that's not a huge difference.. and it's just a SCREENING test, not a diagnostic test. good luck with the next round

i had a GTT the other week that i didn't technically "fail", i was outside the norm but not high enough for investigating prediabetes/diabetes. so i get to drink the oh so yummy drink again in a few weeks! woo hoo!

January 2011
#8 of 11 Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update everybody. I passed the 3 hour test with flying colors. All 4 of the levels over the course of the 3 hour test were totally normal. Yippee!
#9 of 11 Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMae08 View Post
Just wanted to update everybody. I passed the 3 hour test with flying colors. All 4 of the levels over the course of the 3 hour test were totally normal. Yippee!
Great news!!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#10 of 11 Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM

I had mine this morning. YUCK! Of all the aversions I have had this pregnancy it is sweet syrupy tasting drinks, juices and sweet candy. With my past two pregnancies swallowing the drink was easy but I had to choke it down this time.

I am sooooo hoping I pass.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#11 of 11 Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 PM

I already got my results online. I got a 131 it looks like that is a passing score.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page