Baby name at last minute? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We honestly can't agree on a name for our little girl. I feel like last time we had a pretty good idea of the name. I feel bad, but it's a big decision & aren't stuck on any name as a team. Is this normal?

Hubby-wants Hazel. He now likes Paige which I'm undecided on.
I want Maddison

We kind of agree on:
Kayla
Emma Grace-but too popular for us

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 AM

ddcc!
lol...ummm yes I would keep ideas but not stress. For dd1 we knew at like 5mths preggo her name...Carissa. This time around we had no idea dd2 was due july 13th and hubs liked annabella and I like hailey. The DAY I went into labor (july 9th) I was in a borders looking at name books and saw the name Chloe and txted hubs asking what he thought...he kinda liked it but we really didn't want to do 2 'C' names. Well the next day when she was born we were still unsure and then 24 hours after she was born we decided Chloe fit the best! So truly have ideas and then wait until you meet her. I found naming the 2nd SO much harder!!
#3 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Totally normal. We never did decide on a boy's name for DD1. Luckily she didn't need it, I guess.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#4 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We have never picked out a name before hand. We go in a with a few names we like and then meet the kid. Every single boys mane we liked before hand we felt did not fit DS. We ended up goping with something that was never even on the list. So far this time around we have nothing on the list..

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#5 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Popularity never stopped me from picking a name. All of my children have very popular names but we had a reason for naming each child what we did and we love and adore their names. I love the name Emma Grace. I say just go with your gut.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#6 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 AM

I was single while preggo with DS... It was really easy to pick a name early and stick with it. DH and I, on the other hand, battled for months and never came up with anything. Just a couple weeks before DD was born, I was flipping through a baby-name book. DH asked if I'd found anything good(both of us knowing we wouldn't agree, but for laughs)... I spouted of the first thing I saw that looked cute on the page I was looking at. He said, "Okay, how about a middle name"... Flipped a couple pages and randomly picked another. "Sure, why not," he said. We didn't talk about it anymore, until she was born. He asked what we were naming her... I said the names we happened across in the book. And they were perfect for her.

My husband seems to be very disinterested in picking out names this time... I think he kinda knows that I'm gonna get my way. I've picked out a first name that I really like(I'm actually surprised to have found one so early in the game) and told DH he could pick the middle name. Maybe he's waiting to pitch a fit until the last minute? Anyway, we might very well end up waiting until the last minute to pick something definite. While I picked one early with DS, and have one in mind now for this babe, I actually think it's a little presumptuous to pick one out DEFINITELY before the babe comes. Like, what if the name doesn't fit at all, but you've been calling babe that for weeks? I dunno... I always try to leave room to change my mind.

I hate to be on your hubby's side, but I think the name Hazel is lovely. If you don't do "popular" I'd worry about Maddison... It seems to be pretty trendy. Good luck though... I'd not worry about it too much, something always works out.
#7 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
With our first son, we used the first name we'd picked out before we were even married. Hubby suggested a middle name and I just shrugged and said sure.

We have a girl's name picked out but we're expecting a boy. Unfortunately we don't have a boy's name that we love. It's really tough especially since the first time we were quite sure about the name. So we have a list of a bunch of names that both like somewhat.

We picked out the name Blake hoping it wouldn't be super popular but I just read recently that it has become quite popular all of a sudden. So sometimes you just never know.

StrongBeliever - With my son, the first couple of days of calling him by his name was a bit weird. I wondered if we'd picked the wrong name. Now at age 2, I couldn't imagine him having another name!

Mama to Blake, 6, and Grant, 4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Kayla is great. Madison has been way too popular and I don't think the extra D does it any favors.
#9 of 19 Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM

My son had a first name only for a couple of weeks (and I don't love his mn...been thinking of having it changed, actually).
I'm another who doesn't really name the kid before I meet them, though. When my baby sister was born, my parents had a name all picked out, and the first thing my parents said when Mom pushed her out was, "That's not an Emily!" I decided to learn from them
Anywho, we have two boy names on the table, and not even an idea it it's a girl, and I'm not worried. It's not a big deal to wait a bit and get to know the wee one first
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#10 of 19 Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think it's a big deal that we haven't decided. it's just that friends/family are "so....u got a name yet?" Like we're crazy not to have a name already. We'll go w/ Kayla over Madison probably. Hubby likes Paige here recently. I can't help but think of a girl we went to hs with. I keep trying to love Hazel. But sometimes u just can't help how u feel. I'd probably go w/ Emma Grace if hubby agreed since we said the name so long ago & loved it.

SAHM. BF
#11 of 19 Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM

We couldn't decide and agreed to wait and meet dd - I really wanted Gillian and dh refused - so after the birth (I thought he's be so taken with it, he'd let me decide - no such luck) I just let him name her - Took him FOUR DAYS and luckily we had a home birth so there was no rush

And then we could not decide on a middle name so she has two - and her name, Kyleigh - SO FITS her and she is so NOT a Gillian
#12 of 19 Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 AM

I have to think about names for a few weeks to see how I feel about them in different moods and if my first impression of the names stays a lasting opinion. So we've had several boy names so far that were on the table for a few weeks before one of us decided we just didn't love the name. Girl name, on the other hand, I've loved for years, and haven't had any friends give to their babies in the meanwhile. I asked DH the same week we found out we were pregnant the first time, and he agreed to it. So we're just waiting for our Naomi to come along. In the meantime, I'd really like to have a boy name we both love picked in time for me to think about it for a few weeks.

Married to C August 2007.  Son Ian born October 2008.  Son Owen born December 2010.  Daughter Naomi born October 2012.

#13 of 19 Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post
I don't think it's a big deal that we haven't decided. it's just that friends/family are "so....u got a name yet?" Like we're crazy not to have a name already.
What if you just say you did decide on a name but are keeping it a surprise until after the birth? That way even if you don't decide they will get off your back about it.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#14 of 19 Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ddc

we had a short list, but couldn't settle on one. The moment I saw DD it was obvious to
me which name it should be. We didn't get a chance to discuss her name until
about an hour later. I found out he had the same reaction. As soon as he saw her he knew.
Luckily we both landed on the same name.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#15 of 19 Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post
I don't think it's a big deal that we haven't decided. it's just that friends/family are "so....u got a name yet?" Like we're crazy not to have a name already.
I think people don't really know what to ask a pregnant mama... "how are you feeling?... so, do you know what you're having?... do you have a name yet?" seem to be the three go to questions. Sort of like when you have the baby "how is everything?... is s/he sleeping through the night?" are the go to questions that make us all feel like crud because babies 'sleeping through' is not super common.

Don't sweat it... just start responding that you're waiting for her to tell you her name and she's not giving it up yet.

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
#16 of 19 Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipoppins View Post
Don't sweat it... just start responding that you're waiting for her to tell you her name and she's not giving it up yet.
Aw! I love this! I am so gonna use that.
#17 of 19 Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC -

I had no idea what I was going to name DS. There were a few slight maybes, but no big contendors. I had already picked out two middle names, but had no idea what to do for the first name. In the end, when he was born, my sister looked at me and said, "He is totally an Ezra!" Which was a name that I had long passed up because I used to be a big Hanson fan (though I wasn't a huge fan by this time, but I did and still do enjoy their music) and Taylor's son's name is Ezra, and I did NOT want people to think I was, "The girl who named her kid after Taylor Hanson's kid." Unfortunately, my sister was so right. It did and still does fit him perfectly. I just make sure that whilst talking to Hanson fans (or Hanson themselves, as happened when I brought DS to one of their shows) I make sure to point out that it has NOTHING to do with Taylor's kid.

With this kiddo I have NO idea what I'm going to name him/her. I've got several ideas (mostly Australian aboriginal names), but I'm pretty sure s/he won't be named until s/he is born. I'm just hoping it's within the first few days! I'll admit, I'm a tad worried that s/he will go weeks or months with no name, as silly as that is.

After having DS (and, really, before I had DS) I just can't understand the whole, "My baby has a specific name picked out and we're calling him/her that before s/he is born," because I've always felt that they kind of pick their own names in a sense. I had many animals growing up and I always let them pick their names, I never thought, "The next cat I get is going to be named X." To me, I just don't see how one can know until they meet them on the outside. Kwim?

- E . Single mom to DS 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 E (15.12.05), 
 T (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD 

A (11.02.11) and 
 Hoppy

#18 of 19 Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 PM
myk

i think it's normal. when i had my DD1, i called her annie from the start.. but then she was born and i couldn't decide whether she sould be Anne or Anna. 3 days it took me to decide! i was a single mom at the time so nobody else's opinion mattered.. if there was someone else in the decision making process it would have been even worse

January 2011
#19 of 19 Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny pp mentioned not telling anyone b/c hubby just said that a couple days ago. And we still haven't decided. He liked Paige until we were watching Desperate Housewives & we figured out we have a Parker like the family on there...and they have a Paige. I'm like, it's a show-it's not a big deal.

SAHM. BF

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page