Anyone still exercising? (let's support one another) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So last pregnancy I had severe low back pain and couldn't exercise past 3 months, ended up in horrible shape post pardum with a 60+ gain. Lost it all and still have some minor back pain but I decided it was better to at least try and keep active than let my body go idle for 9 months and then be compeletely out of shape and risk having severe pain again.

I've actually been more consistent working out than anytime before in my life. I feel so good afterwards, but man it's getting hard to stay motivated as the belly gets larger.

I have been doing cycle classes and bootcamp aerobics 3-4x a week. I have the same instructor for both classes and she's totally supportive, and that's meant the world to me.

So anyone, despite feeling uber tired still keeping active with exercise?
#2 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 05:00 PM

All I can say is You Go Girl! That is quite the accomplishment. I exercised at the gym with my first baby quite consistently, not so much with this one. I walked about 2.5 miles during the beginning of this pregnancy, until the tiredness just overwhelmed me, and picked back up again recently (it was to hot to move here for awhile). I find that when I get a little exercise in, even if it's the last thing I want to do, I feel better.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#3 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Well I wasn't really exercising. I might have been doing some Wii Fit stuff at beginning. And I have 3 flights of stairs & was babysitting another toddler-but that's about all. I borrowed a dvd & did about 20 min of yoga-a prenatal dvd. And today I pulled DS in a wagon on a walk that was about 35 min long. Wierd that I'm more aware of it now than before. Maybe b/c of the weight gain in the last month going up a bit.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#4 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 09:48 PM
mra

I've been doing at least 30 minutes of yoga everyday, as well as some exercises from my doula. I also go for a walk just about every night.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#5 of 24 Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 PM

I just realized yesterday that it had been weeks since I had a good workout, so today I made time for it. In my first pregnancy I was at the gym or the pool 4-5 times a week getting good workouts. This time with a toddler my best solution has been to go mall walking. Sometimes we just walk around our neighborhood, but at the mall I don't have to worry about sunscreen, weather (Aug and Sep were brutal), or pushing the stroller over rough sidewalks - plus, I'm better about sticking with my plan if I'm doing the same, measurable workout on a regular basis. So now I'm recommitting to exercising: at least 30 minutes of brisk walking (fast enough to raise my pulse and breathing) at least 3x a week.

Married to C August 2007.  Son Ian born October 2008.  Son Owen born December 2010.  Daughter Naomi born October 2012.

#6 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 AM

I get out of breath walking up the stairs, or down the hallway in my house. Does that count? I have to pause often to let my heartrate slow down. I wish I could be more active. Took my 3.5 yo for a short walk in the woods today and he ran circles around me, repeatedly.
#7 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 AM

I started walking again then I got this stupid cold and have been couch bound for almost a week!

The walk I found is great too. Two miles along the beach can't beat that!

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#8 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 01:29 AM

I had been working out and swimming fairly regularly back in Florida. Then, we had to start packing to move, and that was fairly exhausting, and I cut back to just walking everyday (with our very active dog, usually).

But then we drove across country, stayed in motels and barely had any exercise at all. Since I've been in Vancouver, I've been walking like crazy, but I can so feel the difference after being inactive for 2 weeks - two weeks bigger in the belly and even walking slowly leaves me achey. Not to mention that I feel like I've been sitting on an incredibly uncomfortable bike seat for hours. I'm hoping to find a prenatal yoga class to join in the next week or so, to help stretch out all these achy muscles.
#9 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM

If the weather permits, I go out once or twice a day with DS. One time to do the groceries (twice a week) on the bicycle, and in the afternoons we take a walk and DS plays outside. Once a week I go to pregnancy pilates. Love it. It feels so good to excercise a bit. My job also is moving almost non-stop as teaching is never a "sit on a chair all day" job.
#10 of 24 Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 PM

I've been pretty consistent alternating between yoga, walking, and occasionally the 'perfect pregnancy workout' that kind of kicks my ass but it's still good. Always feel better after exercising, but lately it's been hard to get motivated to move.
I also get winded going up the stairs.

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#11 of 24 Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgirl View Post
I get out of breath walking up the stairs, or down the hallway in my house. Does that count? I have to pause often to let my heartrate slow down. I wish I could be more active. Took my 3.5 yo for a short walk in the woods today and he ran circles around me, repeatedly.
Oh man me too! Makes me wonder how on earth I manage doing a class but yet want to pass out after a 45 second climb up stairs. Sometimes even just moving from one end of the house to the other makes me winded.
#12 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Uhm, I get out of breath getting off the couch to go to the bathroom sometimes...(I have a short torso and I'm carrying REALLY high)

I tried to do some today...after about 5mins I was hot, sweaty, and out of breath. Oh well.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#13 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM

As luck would have it, I found a great prenatal yoga class just blocks from my house - and it started last night. I feel so much better today than I have in weeks - all of the poses seemed to be exactly what I needed. Between that, and a really long walk my partner and I took yesterday, I feel like I pressed a 'reset' button on my body. Even the baby seems more active today.
#14 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Those of you doing yoga, did you do yoga prior to becoming pregnant? I hear so many great things about it and I've been wanting to try it out. The classes near me are pricey though!
#15 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 06:28 PM

I did do some yoga before getting pregnant, but not a whole lot.

A prenatal yoga class will be totally accessible for beginners - just tell your instructor that you're new to yoga and s/he'll probably say things like "if you're just starting with yoga, you might want to do ____, more experienced students might want to try _____"

Some of the things that a prenatal yoga class probably will focus on more than a regular yoga class include postures for birthing, poses and stretches that help with aching hips, pelvis and back, and movements that help strengthen the pelvic floor and abdominals. My prenatal class did all of those (lots of squats and hip opening poses) plus my instructor is also a doula, and she spoke a lot about listening to your body, praising yourself and your baby, nurturing yourself in a time of great transformation etc.

Actually, the best thing we did was a moving meditation, that involved subtle movements while keeping our arms extended. She talked us through deciding to recontextualize the sensations in our arms as just feelings instead of pain, and coached us through trying different techniques to make the sensations manageable. I don't know if I'm explaining it properly, but as she explained it, it was a meditation to help figure out what particularly might be useful in birthspace to us individually (i.e. for some breathing might help, for others moaning, or taking quick rests, or changing positions). It was like experiential learning, instead of someone telling you "breathing or changing positions might help in labor".

My class is definitely pricey - but i thought it was worth every penny. Most yoga studios/instructors offer reduced rates for first-timers, too (maybe even free).
#16 of 24 Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Although Im almost 29 weeks, im starting aqua aerobics on monday and wednesday and yoga on tuesday. I have never done yoga before, im a little nervous that I wont be able to do it but im excited to be motivated to work out again.
DH is still away so juggling full time shift work and our two boys,exercise has been the last thing on my mind, until I hopped onto the scales and discovered I had put on eight kilos. My aim was no more than 10 this pregnancy cos i dont want to struggle to get it off after the birth. I have to be fit and slim to perform operational policing. Im taking a year off so im sure I can regain fitness in a year!!

Karen, Police officer married to my hero Soldier, mummy to Harry 7 and Riley 3 and , due 10th January 2011 We're living the dream!!
#17 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 AM

Actually, for me the support comes from the exercise itself. I was as inactive as I could get away with for the first 5-6 months and then I started swimming, 3 times a week, and it's fantastic. I think you float better with the belly, and for the rest you don't even feel you're pregnant. And I bet our baby must love the sideways back-and-forth motion from the crawl... Highly recommended! Only avoid the hours when it's crowded, you don't want a kick in the belly!
#18 of 24 Old 10-23-2010, 12:06 PM

We went to a halloween event at the zoo here in Columbus last night. We walked so much, which was great until I couldn't find a bathroom-haha. Definitely worked off a piece of pizza from earlier that night.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#19 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisH View Post
Actually, for me the support comes from the exercise itself. I was as inactive as I could get away with for the first 5-6 months and then I started swimming, 3 times a week, and it's fantastic. I think you float better with the belly, and for the rest you don't even feel you're pregnant. And I bet our baby must love the sideways back-and-forth motion from the crawl... Highly recommended! Only avoid the hours when it's crowded, you don't want a kick in the belly!
You are so right! I took a week off due to family visiting and hopped back on the bike yesterday and felt great afterwards. I am so jealous that you are swimming though. We have a pool in the backyard that I was hoping would stay warm enough to swim in. Maybe I can find a maternity wet suit somewhere... hmm
#20 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC -

I finally got in the habit (mostly) of going to the gym. Even if it's just for 10 minutes. I actually find myself wanting to go work out now... though I had to skip today because my legs (thighs) are SO sore!

I'm proud of myself, though. As my midwife will be when I see her Monday!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#21 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so who has been motivated enough to exercise this week? I went 3x last week but this week I decided to be lazy. Back has been killing me this week and not sure if it's the lack of exercise or just being bigger overall. My membership is good until a week after I deliver and I want to keep going but my desire to be lazy is winning right now.

#22 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Well I am still exercising but not at a gym... I would love to be able to have a saline pool to float in right nowsurf.gif

I have been doing yoga daily even if I don't make it through all of my asanas I still give it an effort everyday. as an additional pick me up I have been Hula Hooping and Belly Dancing at home with lots of laughs and lots of FUN~

I am looking out a pool to swim in soon ... I need to feel weightless.

I think it is important to keep moving even if the intensity of the exercise is waning.

Maybe you could conjure up the energy to go to the gym just don't push yourself too hard ...your getting close to meeting your baby...

#23 of 24 Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM

I work a long day, but I am trying to continue walking .5-1mile in the evenings (bundled up!). I was much more active earlier. Anyone have any yoga podcasts or videos they'd recommend?

#24 of 24 Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 AM

Aiming to swim three times a week - it's just so great.  When I feel all sluggish and lazy, diving (well, metaphorically speaking) into the pool is just so refreshing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page