For those of you in Northern climates... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you doing about a winter coat?

I've been to a lot of stores and the only maternity coats that would be suitable for Canadian winters have been $100 and over - not the kind of money I want to spend for something I will wear for three months and probably never again! Should I just get a huge coat from a second hand store and deal with it being waaaaaay too big everywhere but my tummy? I looked at two very large second hand stores near me but they didn't have any maternity coats that would be suitable. Is there a solution I haven't thought of? I really don't want to spend any more time than I already have looking through overpriced maternity stores! Even Old Navy was way over what I went to spend

Amanda + Steven SAHM to James (Feb 19, 2008) and Alexander (Jan 7, 2011). Lost little ones always in my heart (07/11/2009) (04/2010)

#2 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM

My sister modified her heavy wool coat by sewing a panel for the center, with buttons along one side and button holes along the other. I never saw it, but that is how she described it.

I will be wearing (part of my work uniform) a double-breasted coat, with the buttons on one side moved over to the edge.
#3 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJournMama View Post
What are you doing about a winter coat?

I've been to a lot of stores and the only maternity coats that would be suitable for Canadian winters have been $100 and over - not the kind of money I want to spend for something I will wear for three months and probably never again! Should I just get a huge coat from a second hand store and deal with it being waaaaaay too big everywhere but my tummy?
ddc crashing.

I was pg and in my third trimester through 3 different Canadian winters.

I lucked out at a second-hand store and bought an A-line black wool coat which I wore for dressy events during pg. I still have it and still wear it, haven't had the $$ to replace it. One year, dh got a new parka and I wore his old one through that winter. One year, I got a coat at the second hand store which I thought was kind of an old lady style, but it worked and didn't look too huge on the rest of my body. And one year I made it through with sweaters and my coat unbuttoned the last month or so (that was the baby that was due in May, so I was not at my hugest through that winter.)

ETA have you checked consignment stores? You should be able to do that by phone. Maybe you could buy the coat you want and consign it next year?
#4 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM

I went to a thrift store and bought an enormous (I think it's something like 3X) down coat out of the men's section for $13. It looks a bit ridiculous on me, but I figure it's only for a few months and I'd rather be warm and goofy-looking than fashionable and cold. Sensibility trumps style in New England winters, at least for me!
#5 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 PM

The last 2 pregnancies I wore a regular size small down coat, and it zipped over my belly just fine. I anticipate being a great deal bigger (since I'll be further along as the baby is actually DUE in the winter) and I'm not sure. I'm thinking about just leaving my coat unzipped. Though DH had me try on a coat at the store the other day so he may end up buying me one. Does seem like a waste of money though for a last baby...

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#6 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
ddc crashing.

I lucked out at a second-hand store and bought an A-line black wool coat which I wore for dressy events during pg.
Same here - a vintage A-line coat will fit in the shoulders and still have plenty of room in the belly region. Mine worked well as a babywearing coat with the top button undone.

ETA: This was in Maine.
#7 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM

I wonder if a wool Navy Pea-Coat would work too? I wore my dad's vintage pea coat all through high school and it was roomy, and warm.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#8 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM

this is the second pregnancy for me during the winter - first I was I was about 5 months from December until March I was 8 months - I wore my DH's ugly army type jacket thing

I am just doing the same thing again I ain't pretty but it works

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#9 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM

I've been thinking the same thing. Last time I was due in April so my regular coat worked fine & I live din the south. When we moved to Ohio it was much windier & colder than what we're used to. I can't find anything in stores at all. I've seen stuff on-line that's expensive. Do they think if ur that big u already have extra padding/heat maybe? I've seen cute sweaters that could be used as cover ups, but no good coats.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#10 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM

I had a march baby, and just wore my fat coat that year. But it died last winter, so I'm having to think about the same thing this time too. I'm considering a heavy cloak...but that's something that's "me".
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#11 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 PM

My sister is quite a bit heavier than I am, so I'm hoping that I'll continue to fit into her coats, and that that will be sufficient for me this year. So far so good, although I may have trouble zipping/buttoning them up, if I keep growing at this rate...
#12 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 01:40 AM

I'm just hoping to get through until January with the bottom buttons undone.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#13 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM

I work outside every day - I own a dog walking and pet sitting company - so this is a concern of mine. For now on the chillier mornings and nights I'm getting away with lots of layers since I still feel so warm most of the time. However when that bitter chill hits us I'm going to try an oversized down coat I have stashed away that's a little bulkier than I prefer but it will do for the time. If worse came to worse I'd scour thrift shops for 2X coats to get me by.

Happy Wife since 9/18/99, Mom to crazy sweet boys Noah Richard 7/24/04 & Jeremy Michael 1/27/11
#14 of 29 Old 10-20-2010, 12:33 PM

I am so hot all the time but I bought a HUGE fleece zip up at Sams Club. I am hoping that it will get me through if not... Big daddy is well big so I will steel his stuff.

Big Momma
#15 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM

DDC

How about a babywearing jacket? Since they're built for 2 I'm sure it work for pg too. I know they're more expensive but you could get years of wear AND they have a good resale value.

Like these..
#16 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 PM

So far my strategy has been to alternately remain in denial about pregnancy/changing seasons and to wish for a very mild winter up until January. It was 42°F this morning, though, so that plan is not working out great so far .....

I think I'll head to Old Navy this afternoon and see if I can find something warm and cheap. Maybe a thick fleece that I can wear under an open jacket? I think I'd rather layer the heck out of regular shirts than buy a jacket that I'll wear for less than three months. bah.

#17 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 02:23 PM

I'll probably wear a baggy fleece with my regular winter coat on top, just unzipped.
#18 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM

This is my 4th Minnesota pregnancy and honestly, I never considered a maternity coat! I have worn my regular coat for outings that are pretty much from warm house to warm car. It's just worn open and held together with my hands until I reach the warm interior of house, store or car,etc.
If I needed to actually be outside for a period of time I wear dh's parka. It zips up over an enormous gut just fine.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#19 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM

DDCC

Just crashing to say that I saw the most ADORABLE winter maternity coats at H&M the other day. My non pregnant friend tried one on and it looked great on her, too, so maybe it would be a good choice for a coat that will transition after baby is here?

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#20 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 PM
myk

once i knew i'd be having a winter baby (so, sometime in july i think), i went to motherhood maternity online and saw that they had a $120 coat on sale half price. unfortunately it looks like the price is back up if i wasn't lucky enough to catch that sale, i'd be going to a secondhand store and trying to find a large men's coat (or using an old coat of my husband's, since he's well over 300 lbs).

January 2011
#21 of 29 Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 AM

Went to Old Navy today and got a zip-up fleece hoodie with some kind of fuzzy lining for just $16. It's a size up from what I normally wear and it's pretty stretchy, so hopefully this can pull through for the last 2.5(!!!!) months. It's pretty cheap fleece, too, so I think the plasticyness of it will hold in my body heat, lol.

#22 of 29 Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 PM

I live in a state bordering Canada, and never even thought about a "maternity" coat, and this is my third baby. You just wear a coat that's big, is all. Goodwill if nothing else. I'm pretty sure my usual winter coats are roomy enough to accomodate the belly.
They were the last two times.
Are some women wearing form-fitting coats, such that they have to worry about there not being room enough?
I wear men's coats anyway, or unisex sporting coats, because I'm really really tall, and broadshouldered, and women's never fit anyway. Not haute couture, but who cares really?

40ish homeschool.gif trekkie.gif guitar.gifhbac.gifnovaxnocirc.gif raising 3 kids with the help of their loving father.

#23 of 29 Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM

I normally wear an XL LLBean down coat - I had to go up that large to get something that would fit over my rather large chest and wide hips. So it's not form-fitting but it is snug to my chest and hips while not being TOO enormous in the shoulders and arms. At 30 weeks it still zips over the belly, but just barely and it's not comfortable - in another month I will definitely need my enormous thrift store coat.
#24 of 29 Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM

i'm already big enough bellywise not to fit in my regular winter coats. i've moved into a maternity "winter coat" for the late fall season. but our really winter comes, i'll move into my husbands old ski jacket. totally unflattering and uncute, but it does the job and i don't want to invest the money.

hoping for a !
#25 of 29 Old 10-27-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I love all the advice and answers I get on this forum

I think I will use one of my DH's jackets for now, and if I need to move up check out the thrift stores again.

Amanda + Steven SAHM to James (Feb 19, 2008) and Alexander (Jan 7, 2011). Lost little ones always in my heart (07/11/2009) (04/2010)

#26 of 29 Old 10-29-2010, 02:57 AM

I'm using two solutions for my winter woes. Oversize, insulated sweatshirt for lazy days and weekends, and maternity sweaters/layers with my usual layer of zip-up hooded sweatshirts under cute jackets with long scarves for the rest of the time. Kind of a Juno/Ellen Page type of look.

I might have to buy a few LG zip-up sweatshirts since I've already out grown my usual sweatshirts but I'm hoping the scarves and sweater layers will make up for not being able to zip my coat over my belly.

Laci(26), femalesling.GIFmommy to Xander(11/10) and wife to Peter(32).
#27 of 29 Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Same thing I did with DS#1 (April baby)-on really cold days I'll wear lots of layers and my ski coat-it ALMOST zips over a big preggo belly LOL. Otherwise I wear a good jacket and don't zip. We can't afford a maternity coat so I make do with what I have. As for post baby I'm knitting a babywearing poncho so I can wear a jacket and wear that over the two of us while DS#2 is bundled up well and in a wrap or upright in a RS

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

#28 of 29 Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
DDC

How about a babywearing jacket? Since they're built for 2 I'm sure it work for pg too. I know they're more expensive but you could get years of wear AND they have a good resale value.

Like these..
I wanted to second fairymom's recommendation of a babywearing coat! They are expensive, but I have seen used ones out there - try thebabywearer.com, where there is a buy/sell/trade forum. If you are planning more children and/or doing a lot of babywearing, this is totally the way to go.

I bought a first generation Kindercoat back in the winter of 2005/06 and it was a godsend. I bought a medium, which fit me (5'5" tall, about a size 10), DH (5'8" tall, 170, men's medium) AND our babysitter (5'10" tall, about a size 14/16) through that first winter of carrying DS (who had been born the previous May). The second winter only I was still babywearing, but the coat still fit. (Note that my backup option - a Ralph Lauren wool hunting/barn jacket, men's size Large, that I bought at a rummage sale for $5 - very warm and pretty good-looking, considering - did NOT button around the two of us at that point, though the Kindercoat did.)

The design has been tweaked and is probably close to perfected by now, but I think the basics are the same: an outer coat that is like water-resistant ski parka material, with an inner removable fleece liner that can also be worn separately as a zip-up fleece jacket. If you are babywearing, the coat is engineered so that you can wear the baby on the front by zipping in an extra panel (which has that same removable fleece liner), or on the back by opening a zipper between the shoulder blades and a gusset that runs down either side on the back. Obviously the part you care about when you are pg is the extra panel that zips down the front.

Right now I'm wearing an A-line trenchcoat with a removable lining, and I can still zip/button over my belly, though I don't think it will last me more than another month or so. Once I'm huge and the really cold weather hits, I'm switching to the Kindercoat.
#29 of 29 Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryliz View Post
I wanted to second fairymom's recommendation of a babywearing coat! They are expensive, but I have seen used ones out there - try thebabywearer.com, where there is a buy/sell/trade forum. If you are planning more children and/or doing a lot of babywearing, this is totally the way to go.
I wasn't going to do anything special except leave my coat unbuttoned...but then I saw fairymom's post too and became obsessed with getting one LOL! I found these on Esty and should be getting mine in the next couple days:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/babywearing?ref=seller_info

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page