Was that a second heartbeat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm kind of in shock. I saw my midwife earlier this afternoon, and we're pretty dang sure we heard a second heartbeat, at a significantly different rate than the first. And after measuring slightly ahead all pregnancy, my fundal height has suddenly jumped to 36 cm-that's over nine weeks ahead! My mw stressed that she's not 100% sure we heard what we thought we heard, and, partially because of an anterior placenta, we couldn't palpate individual baby parts to count. She suggested an U/S if we wanted to know now, but money is tight and we'd have to pay out of pocket, so we may have to wait and see.
I'm...I don't even have a word for it. I had an idea early on that maybe there were two, but I had dismissed it. After all, I'm nearly in my third trimester! I've never measured big enough that the difference couldn't be brushed off as fourth baby "looseness", and until today we'd had trouble finding even one heartbeat at appointments! Now suddenly there could be TWO?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How exciting!!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#3 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 AM

Holy snap! That's some crazy unknown to have hanging in the air. I don't think I could handle not knowing! What are you going to do? Is there some cheap 4D ultrasound place that you can afford? (Those places almost always do 2D ultrasounds, too, for an inexpensive rate....the ones around here cost about $45).

I think I would be driving to my midwife every day to see if she could find another heartbeat. You have to keep us posted!

Oh, and (((hugs))) because as crazy as I feel just hearing your story , I can only imagine how YOU must feel right now. That's a big "maybe" to process
!

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#4 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 PM

oh wow congrats! that could be extra exciting! Let us know whats going on...

FTR I did have the twins idea in my head at the beginning but there is just one little man in there.

Big Momma
#5 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Oh my gosh! How exciting! And HUGS!

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#6 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

As awful as the unknown is, we've decided to wait and see, at least for now. When I say "money is tight", what I actually mean is "that girl who got our car impounded still hasn't paid us back; she told us she paid our power bill as a start on that and didn't, which resulted in our power being shut off. Because we had to get that reconnected immediately, we no longer have car insurance".
Anyway, my mw wants to see me every two weeks from here out if we have multiples, so...if we're not completely convinced in two weeks, either way, we'll probably try to find the money for the u/s.
Thanks for the support, ladies! This is just the last in a series of really stressful events this week, and I'm feeling quite overwhelmed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#7 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Woah! That would be one heck of a surprise!

#8 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 PM

Any u/s schools nearby (community colleges may offer them too)? When we were in Texas they had a u/s school in Austin that would do free ultrasounds, and I hear this is not uncommon. Another option may be to contact your community health office, or public aid office to see if they have places who will do them for free or on a sliding scale. I might also be calling places like Planned Parenthood, Crisis Pregnancy Center, etc and see if they know of places who do them for free or reduced cost. I understand how it would be a burden to pay out of pocket... the place I go charges $400! INSANE!!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#9 of 10 Old 10-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#10 of 10 Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone444 View Post

I'm with ya....

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page