Flying with a 3 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
mra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting ahead of myself, but is it safe to fly with a 3 month old baby, especially if you are going to do a delayed vaccination schedule?

I'm supposed to fly home for my cousin's wedding in the beginning of May and my plan is to bring the baby along. So she will be about 3.5 months depending on when I deliver.

Has anyone been told not to fly with such a young baby? Airplanes are so germy!

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 AM

flew with DS when he was 7 weeks old. You'll be fine!

assuming you are breastfeeding he will have your immunities and if he does get something your body will start producing antibodies to whatever it is within about 24 hours.

With a baby that young they won't be running around/touching/putting everything in their mouths. He/she will stay in your lap or in their carseat and won't be exposed to much.

The biggest concern would be ears during take off and landing...just make sure you've got something handy for baby to suck on (breast, pacifier, bottle) during those times.

Infants really are some of the easiest travelers....babies & toddlers...not so much =)

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#3 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionGal View Post
flew with DS when he was 7 weeks old. You'll be fine!

assuming you are breastfeeding he will have your immunities and if he does get something your body will start producing antibodies to whatever it is within about 24 hours.

With a baby that young they won't be running around/touching/putting everything in their mouths. He/she will stay in your lap or in their carseat and won't be exposed to much.

The biggest concern would be ears during take off and landing...just make sure you've got something handy for baby to suck on (breast, pacifier, bottle) during those times.

Infants really are some of the easiest travelers....babies & toddlers...not so much =)
:
#4 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 AM

I'm glad to see this because we're moving with an 8 week old and I'll have to fly overseas! I've been a little worried about how to make it all happen!
#5 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 AM

yeah, don't worry. flying with babies is easy...just have a boob handy...(especially during landing and takeoff...)(ouchy ears...)
#6 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 AM

We will likely be flying back to the US when this babe is approx. 9 weeks old. I am not too worried for reasons stated above!

Good luck,
Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#7 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks for this thread! We want to visit family in Arizona and the baby will be 2-3 months old (we want to visit before it gets too hot!!!)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#8 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM

I didn't fly with an itty-bitty, but one several months older. However, I wore her in a carrier and nursed during takeoff/landing, and she was a way better flyer than my older kid! I'd definitely take flying with an infant over flying with a toddler.

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#9 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 01:30 PM

I flew with my 4 month old to Europe. One tip-bring the boppy! It makes things so much easier as you have a place to put the baby. Also...those of you taking long trips, many airlines have bassinets that hook to the bulkhead. It's worth asking especially for the long overnight flights. Boppy, booby and sling....is all you need.

Sam 39 DH Dan 39 DS Enzo 2.2.07 Baby Uma EDD 1.25.11
hale
#10 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
mra

Thanks! I've already got the boppy and the wrap. Hopefully the boobies will function properly!

I'm glad I won't have to miss my cousin's wedding. I'm in it and it was planned long before I even knew I was pregnant.

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

#11 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Little babies are so easy to fly with. We flew when DS1 was 7 weeks and 12 weeks. We'll be flying with DS2 in a few weeks - he'll be 12 weeks. My biggest concern is getting his passport in time. Everything else is pie.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#12 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM

We'll be flying when DS is 5-6 months likely. We're waiting for DH's grad school acceptance and we'll have to go find somewhere to live and get everything figured out so we have to go on an airplane because I don't want to drive twice in about a month's period of time for 2 days straight. We flew when DS#1 to the same place when he was 14 months and it went really well. BFed babies tend to stay quiet and usually just sleep anyways on the flight. I'd recommend wearing baby in the airport and things should go smoothly!

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page