Positive fetal fibronectin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-22-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Argh. My high-risk OB wanted to run this test just to check and I think everyone assumed it would be negative. Unfortunately, it wasn't. A positive result means that 3 in 10 women go into labor within 2 weeks. I get to go back to my OB tomorrow for another cervical length check and will probably get steroid shots to mature baby's lungs. My OB isn't a fan of bedrest and it has risks associated with it, so I can still do some of my normal activities but I need to slow down and rest quite a bit more. *sigh* I would really, really prefer this baby stay put for at least another 10 weeks.

I'm trying to focus on the fact that 70% of women who have a positive result *don't* go into labor within 2 weeks.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM

Yikes! Sending you lots of "baby stay in" vibes!!!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#3 of 11 Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
omg, wow. How scary. I hope everything is okay!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#4 of 11 Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM

ugh. What an un-necessary stressor for you! Happy thoughts of a long-baking baby for you.

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#5 of 11 Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 AM

I'm sorry that you've got this situation to worry about and hope baby stays put for many more weeks.

BTW, I think we both post on another board together! I thought your username looked familiar, and I recognize the content of your post from reading there.

Molly, mom to three homebirthed girly girls: Lila 6/05, Nellie 12/07, and Lucy 1/11

#6 of 11 Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

My cervical length ultrasound came back very good so I'm just on slightly restricted activity--rest a lot more than normal. Guess I'm going to be looking for someone to come clean a couple of times/month. I imagine I will get a lot of help from my mom also, but at least I'm allowed to take the kids to school and make easy meals at home.

My OB is going to consult with the high-risk group and I will know more tomorrow about what follow-up I can expect. I have a feeling I will be having my cervix length checked a few more times. Ugh.

Mollybet--I recognize your user name also. It's a small interwebz!

#7 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 AM

You could be completely fine. I had a positive ffn with DS at 28 weeks, again at 30 and was dilated to a 4 by then. I wound up not having him until 39 weeks. I hope that your baby stays in and bakes longer.

Anjuli, SAHM to B (5-20-2008) and Wife to B (6-28-2006)
EDD 1/14/2011
#8 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post
My cervical length ultrasound came back very good so I'm just on slightly restricted activity--rest a lot more than normal. Guess I'm going to be looking for someone to come clean a couple of times/month. I imagine I will get a lot of help from my mom also, but at least I'm allowed to take the kids to school and make easy meals at home.

My OB is going to consult with the high-risk group and I will know more tomorrow about what follow-up I can expect. I have a feeling I will be having my cervix length checked a few more times. Ugh.

Mollybet--I recognize your user name also. It's a small interwebz!
I did several checks of my cervical length with my last pregnancy... including one while in labor... and they all came back fine. I don't think they are too useful, except for peace of mind when your cervix is nice and long. Did they tell you exactly how long it is? But if it makes you feel better, I had a positive ffn at 29 weeks, and didn't have him until 33 weeks. And my first was born at 27 weeks. Everything will work out for the best.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#9 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Music View Post
I did several checks of my cervical length with my last pregnancy... including one while in labor... and they all came back fine. I don't think they are too useful, except for peace of mind when your cervix is nice and long. Did they tell you exactly how long it is? But if it makes you feel better, I had a positive ffn at 29 weeks, and didn't have him until 33 weeks. And my first was born at 27 weeks. Everything will work out for the best.
The average measurement was 4.5cm this last time which is right around where the previous measurements have been. Nice and long. I found an interesting study that showed days to delivery for different combinations of fFN testing and cervical length. Basically, according to that chart, women with a +fFN and long cervical length tended to deliver earlier than those who had a -fFN and long cervical length. I think I've always had it in the back of my mind that this LO would be early but I would really like to get to at least 33 weeks. Then I can deliver at my local hospital instead of being transported 50 min away to a hospital with a level III NICU.

Of course, maybe he will stay in until 40+ weeks and all this worry will be a moot point!

#10 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post
Of course, maybe he will stay in until 40+ weeks and all this worry will be a moot point!

How come your last was early, do you know? Both of mine were early (as previously stated) and so I opted for a cerclage this time. I really want to have my home birth. And this is my last baby. My cervix is 4.5 right now too. It was 2.6 by 28 weeks with M.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#11 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Music View Post

How come your last was early, do you know?
I had a random placental abruption with my daughter at 29 weeks (which I have low chance of it happening again, but higher than the general population and we don't know why I had one with her--no infection or trauma) and my son was born at 36 weeks--so not really a preemie, but not full-term either. With him, my water just broke and we don't know why.

Because of both of them being early my OB wanted me to consult with a high risk group just to make sure there wasn't something he was missing. So really, there is no reason I shouldn't go to term, but then my history shows that I have a good chance of not going to term also. I am a bit bummed that I don't get to see the midwives at my practice this time, but my OB is pretty easy-going at least.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page