I think I have a doula now! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This being our third baby my DH and I weren't going to have a doula because 1. we figured we could handle everything and 2. Money!

Well... my mom's best friend sent me a FB message reminding me that her sister is a doula and I should call her. I told her that Paul and I were just talking about that and that we didn't think we could afford it. She called her sis and she said she doesn't charge. WHAT! She just likes being at births and I think it helps that she has known my mom since my mom was 11 and saw me grow up.

So I need to call her today and see if she is available. My only thing is I feel bad that I am due right after xmas on New Year's.

I am thinking mostly she can be a doula for my mom who is pretty insistent on being in the delivery room from the first contraction and I really don't want that. Every labor I have snapped at my mom because she drives me crazy and does not understand labor at all.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM
myk

wonderful! doulas are priceless!

January 2011
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM

That is SO awesome! I wish I could find one that would work for free. We're really struggling and there's no way I could even pay one. I had one lined up but figured out there was no way I could pay her and she refuses to work for free (kinda makes sense...) so it's looking like no doula for me. It's so awesome to have connections though! I know a whole bunch of doulas but none of them will offer their services-they all want at least $400.

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 PM

this is wonderful, i'm happy for you! i hope she is available, doulas really are priceless..
Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I called and we had a nice chat. I guess she really does just doula for free all the time when she can. She said that she just likes it and has a job and doesn't want it to be her job because then she probably won't like it anymore.

One problem for her though was my due date. Because I am due on New Year's so right in the middle of holiday season she wasn't sure if she would be able to make it to the birth. As a family they own and run a rather large construction company so depending on when her sons take their vacation time depends on if she will be available.

I told her that if she could make it that would be great because we had not planned on a doula anyway and if it happens that she can't make it no hard feelings I completely understand and I really appreciated the offer anyway. Because she is my mom's friend I told her that her main job might be keeping my mom calm anyway!

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif

User Tag List