Water Birth Mama's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have your pool yet? What kind are you using? Will this be your first water birth? Let's talk!

This will be my third water birth, and I am getting really excited. I've always used the "fishy" kiddie pool with my other births, but this time I'm using the Birth Pool in a Box. My friend is lending me the one she used at her birth, so I just have to buy a liner.

I just love laboring and birthing in water. My oldest daughter (4-years-old) wants to be in the water with me. I told her she can if I'm feeling OK with it at that time. My son (6-years-old) is used to watching me birth in water by now after his two sister's births. My youngest (2-years-old) will probably just want to be held by daddy. I always get a slight concern that the young one will want to dive in, but they've not done it yet. (Even if they did, we'd figure it out.)

I really do look forward to birth, and, for me, I attribute that to the water.

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#2 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM

I am supposed to be sharing with another of my homebirth midwife's clients. She had her baby several weeks ago and I guess I'll be going and picking the birth pool up from her house soon. We split the cost. I told her I was reseaching the BPIAP and the AquaBorn and she ended up getting the AquaBorn, whic is fine with me. I am getting a little antsy to get the pool so I can see if I need an adapter for the faucet, a pump to empty it, etc.

Glad to hear that the birth is something you look forward to! That's always good for a first-timer to hear from an experienced mama!

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM

This will be my 2nd water birth, I am renting my pool from my m/w, she uses the rubbermaid troughs. I am super excited too. I think we will make our own liner with painters plastic and line it with a light sheet since it is dark. I think she delivers it at my 36 week home visit...? After my last birth (first HB) I am REALLY looking forward to my birthing time being here.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#4 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM

This will be my second water birth. For my first I used my mw's AquaDoula and it was fabulous!!! This time I'm actually planning on using my bath tub. It's GIGANTIC and even deeper than the aquadoula. I'm a little bit concerned about there not being any padding so I'm thinking I'll put a few towels in the bottom if I need it. Getting excited!
cuteandcurly likes this.

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#5 of 15 Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post
I've always used the "fishy" kiddie pool with my other births, but this time I'm using the Birth Pool in a Box. My friend is lending me the one she used at her birth, so I just have to buy a liner.
DDCC!

I from the Dec group and planning a home water birth and cannot decide if I should rent from my MW ($150-$200--whatever is available this late-- plus the waterbirth kit for $80) OR just get the fishy pool and the kit (all in $115)?

We also have a giant inflatable pool I bought for DD this summer, but I dont know how I could find a liner big enough for it. Its HUGE (120" long x 72" wide x 22" high). Literally all 10 people attending the birth could hop in with me. haha. Plus it takes a looong time to fill it too.

So, the fishy pool worked for you? The only thing that I was wondering is how important are handles? Is it worth paying the extra money for one with handles do you think? Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#6 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 05:08 PM

I am planning my first (and likely only) waterbirth for this baby. My midwife includes use of a "fishy pool" in her fee, so we are going with that. Its funny, since I moved to the house we are in now, I have had this mental picture of a fishy pool set up in our family room. When I was interviewing the midwife and she showed me the pic of the pool she uses, it just seemed like fate (although I hired her for reasons other than that she uses the fishy pool ). I think the pool will be dropped off some time around 36 weeks, so late Dec/early Jan.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#7 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM

This is my first birth & first hopefully in water! I was just researching pools this week and trying to decide. We can rent one from the midwife, but my hubby is thinking of splurging on a nice one that we could re-use in the future and be more comfortable in.

I second the question about the handles -- how necessary do you think they are? if we can save $ by getting a pool without, we would - unless I'll be wishing I had those handles.

are the la bassines overrated? we also looked at birth pool in a box.

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#8 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM

I loved my fishy pool, but my midwife is pushing me to use one of her "real" pools She claims there's no comparison.
FWIW, I'm actually only a water-laborer...when I get the urge to push, I want my bed and I want it NOW!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#9 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM

I used and frequently assist women using the fishy pool. It is padded on the bottom, just deep enough, and really...most women end up on their knees, kinda leaning over the side of the pool with their arms over the edge. We don't tell them to do that, they just get there. (I did too, spontaneously, before ever seeing another birth) They are cheap and can be reused for birth or for summer splashing in the backyard!
I am planning my 2nd waterbirth in Jan and am also looking forward to it very much.

Partner to one: '08  Mama to three: '08, '11, '13  homebirth.jpgintactlact.gif
#10 of 15 Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebegim View Post
DDCC!

I from the Dec group and planning a home water birth and cannot decide if I should rent from my MW ($150-$200--whatever is available this late-- plus the waterbirth kit for $80) OR just get the fishy pool and the kit (all in $115)?

We also have a giant inflatable pool I bought for DD this summer, but I dont know how I could find a liner big enough for it. Its HUGE (120" long x 72" wide x 22" high). Literally all 10 people attending the birth could hop in with me. haha. Plus it takes a looong time to fill it too.

So, the fishy pool worked for you? The only thing that I was wondering is how important are handles? Is it worth paying the extra money for one with handles do you think? Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!
First, I would say no to the huge inflatable pool you have. Like you said, it would just take too long to fill (not to mention not having enough hot water) and it would probably feel really overwhelming in it.

I liked my labor and births in the fishy pool. I've never utilized handles or holding on to anything, so it's not an issue for me at all. I always end up birthing on my knees, leaning on the edge of the pool (like someone mentioned ). I think the fishy pool is a great option if you're looking to save money. Really, it's a good pool.

My only issue is that its depth is 22", and I think a deeper pool would ultimately serve me a little better (I'm 5'10"). So, I decided to go for a deeper, regular birth pool this time. Birth Pool in a Box has a depth of 26" (and I was able to barter with a friend, so I'm getting it for "free" -- I'm totally thrilled). That being said, if you're not really tall, then the fishy pool is terrific and I often recommend it. (Even if you are tall, I've used it twice and still thought it was fine.) Here's a picture of me in the pool right after my youngest was born: Birth.

I wonder, what's included in your "water birth kit" for $80?

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#11 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 AM

I need the info for a waterbirth in Raleigh,  NC. Who do I contact?

#12 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just posted in the Homebirth section about the La Bassine tub my midwife lent me. A client of hers purchased it and intended to rent it out but never got around to it so she gave it to the midwife. The midwife is lending it to me but mentioned there's some long story about the last client to borrow it and how she and her partner split up and the tub got left at his place. I'm trying to figure out how to blow it up but the air pump we've had for years had a battery explode in it and I don't think it's salvageable. But I was looking at the tub and there's water inside the walls! I have a bad feeling.

There's also bits of leaf inside of it so if it blows up, I'll need to clean it out as the next step.

I'm also trying to figure out how to fill the tub with water. Our kitchen faucet isn't going to work. The bathroom faucet doesn't look promising. I tried taking off the shower head and screwing a hose onto that but it wouldn't work. It seems like the only option may be to connect it directly to our water heater. My midwife mentioned she had one birth where the couple did that and got a bunch of crud from the water heater into the tub and had to empty and then refill it.

I'm just a tad overwhelmed trying to figure this out. I had hoped my hubby would help with the logistics but he's been a no-show on that....

Would love any and all advice!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#13 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

I'm also trying to figure out how to fill the tub with water. 

We're planning to hook ours up to the hot water fill on the washing machine.  Is that an option for you?

All the faucets in our house are old and don't really work to connect to the hose.

Hi, I'm Aileen!

Wife to Lance, Mama to Elijah superhero.gif,Gideon learning.gif, and Jasper slingboy.gif.

#14 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Mama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

I'm also trying to figure out how to fill the tub with water. 

We're planning to hook ours up to the hot water fill on the washing machine.  Is that an option for you?

All the faucets in our house are old and don't really work to connect to the hose.

Oh, that might work. I didn't even think of that!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#15 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM

I use the LaBassine "Made In Water" tub last time. The time before that I used a regular "garden tub" in the bathroom and the bottom was hard and it wasn't deep enough and I got out to birth on land. The handles were not necessary for me and in fact was a little too wide for me to reach them both comfortably (i'm 5'5").

We unscrewed the dealy from the bathroom sink and got an adaptor at Lowes to make the hose attach to the faucet. Last time we attached it to the kitchen sink bc the pool was in a different room than we plan to use this time. We took the part we unscrewed along with the hose to Lowes and they helped us get the right adaptor. It was only like $5 or less for the part.

OH - I forgot - we used the handle in the pool to hold the hose down. lol! We slipped the hose down in there and it kept it out of my way when the pool was not quite filled and when I wanted a top off with warm water. We purposely didn't fill the pool to the max at the beginning so that I would be able to add more water later on as it cooled without having to drain any of it.

Momma to ds bikenew.gif6/02 (med free hospital), dd pinktongue.gif10/04 hb, ds diaper.gif6/08 hb, and ds babyboy.gif hb 1/12/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page