Lower abdomen pain/pulling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just over 30 weeks now and for the last couple of days have been having this pain in my lower abdomen when I walk. It feels like a pulling/pressure sort of pain. It isn't excruciating, but it does make me walk funny. It's not so bad standing still and it's non-existent when I'm sitting. Anybody know what this is? Is it something I should be worried about?
#2 of 25 Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM

First baby? I'd say baby may have "dropped" and your lower tummy muscles and ligaments are feeling it. If this is #more I'd say that it's probably just fatigue. I'm on baby #3 and I feel LOTS of lower belly twinges, pulls, and pains. I am carrying this one super low in comparison to my other pregnancies, and I think that is why.
#3 of 25 Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 PM

I had the something similar happen to me oh about a two months ago. I thought it was from my c-section scar. It was a pulling/ache low, low and I only felt it when I stood up. It made me walk funny too. My doc told me it was just ligament stretching as I grow, he pressed around my groin and sure enough it hurt. Not saying that it is the same thing in your case but the symptoms sound similar.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#4 of 25 Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Strongbeliever, it is my first baby. So, of course, everything feels new and weird. Maybe he has dropped. Is it too early for that?

I don't see my doctor for another two weeks, so was trying to figure out if this is something I should call about or not.
#5 of 25 Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM

I don't think it's too early, it happens differently with everyone. It can be hard to judge with that first baby, too... With my first, DS, I carried him pretty high anyway. I felt like he had dropped around 6 weeks before he was born, but you couldn't really tell by looking at me. I didn't really believe it, but the women in my family assured me that's why it felt so different. I think your muscles and ligaments are tighter with the first and even when they do engage, you're holding them 'in' more firmly, so it doesn't show much.

I am scared to see what the baby dropping looks/feels like this time around, as he is already hung so low!

Congrats on your first baby and all those first pregnancy confusing/weird/new feelings!
#6 of 25 Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM

For me pain in the lower abdomen, esp. with walking, was a (symptomatic) UTI. Do you need to pee much more frequently and then small amounts?
#7 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I have been peeing more frequently. That's a good thought. Thank you.
#8 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you ever had any abdominal surgery? I had similar pain in my last 2 pregnancies from adhesions/scar tissue.
#9 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

No abdominal surgery and this is my first baby too, so first resident in my uterus.

It got so bad yesterday that when I got home from work and the grocery store all I could do was lay down and cry. It's a bit better than that today, but I'm being much more careful about what I do.
#10 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 03:54 PM
myk

i've had that when a ligament stretches. it was worse in 2nd trimester but it's certainly happening now too. definitely watch for signs of a UTI, and see a doctor if it continues. it's probably nothing, or stretching of muscles/ligaments/etc but if it is something, you want it taken care of asap

January 2011
#11 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMae08 View Post
Actually, I have been peeing more frequently. That's a good thought. Thank you.
DaisyMae, I do recommend you have your urine checked out as soon as possible. A UTI is much more serious during pregnancy, as it can cause a kidney infection and / or early labour if left untreated; treatment consists of antibiotics that have been proven to be safe. I am having the second one treated in a month The symptoms can indeed be very unsettling and immobilizing. (But don't worry: if you get it treated in time, there's no harm to the baby / pregnancy!)
#12 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I'll call first thing Monday morning. I've had UTIs before, but I've always had terrible burning when I urinate and sometimes blood in the urine too. I don't have that now, so I hadn't even thought about a UTI. I'm going much more frequently and sometimes in very small amounts. Sometimes I think I'm done and then I have to go back in to the bathroom 30 seconds later, so it sounds like it's definitely worth it to get checked out.
#13 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 06:34 PM

Good to hear you're getting it checked out! I got tricked by the absence of burning when urinating as well (had that in the past, but not now). The 30-seconds phenomenon (enough to drive anyone crazy) strongly suggests it is indeed a UTI. In the meantime, keep drinking a lot of water + some glasses of pure cranberry juice a day and take it easy (I had a lot of BHs as well and found that rest made me feel much better than standing up / walking which causes a lot of pressure on the bladder).

Take care!
#14 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM

When you're peeing, lift your belly and lean right, then left. Sometimes that can empty out that little bit that sends you right back in there.
StrongBeliever: After your 1st baby, the following ones often don't "drop" until labor kicks in, so don't worry too much about sagging to the floor for weeks

Partner to one: '08  Mama to three: '08, '11, '13  homebirth.jpgintactlact.gif
#15 of 25 Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily11megan View Post
StrongBeliever: After your 1st baby, the following ones often don't "drop" until labor kicks in, so don't worry too much about sagging to the floor for weeks
*haha* I would hope not! I think for the last two weeks or so of my second pregnancy I was hung quite low, though I don't think it was dropping, per se. This one has been low slung all along, so yeah... I'm really hoping it doesn't get any lower!
#16 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to report back that I did have a UTI and feel MUCH better after a course of antibiotics.  Thanks ladies!

#17 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
myk

glad you're feeling better!

January 2011
#18 of 25 Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Very good to hear you're feeling better! And keep up the drinking liquids (2-3 liters / day, my doctor said) to prevent a recurrence (as happened to me).

#19 of 25 Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM

well now you ladies make me think that maybe I have a UTI.  I have never had one ever but I am feeling some pain when I walk.  although I do sometimes feel it when I am sitting too.  I don't want to go to the doctor! 

#20 of 25 Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM

I am wondering if I do too, I am now taking cranberry along with my, femdophilus, and grapefruit seed extract and really trying to increase my liquids.  I notice some days are better than others which make me think it is the pregnancy, not a UTI because when I picked up my daughter fast today, the pain has been a LOT worse than normal.  UGH, I so do not want to go to the doctor before the 30th, it is so far away now.  :(

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#21 of 25 Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Ladies, do get your urine checked out, to be sure!  That being said, it's well possible it's the pressure of the growing baby on an irritable bladder (I no longer have a UTI, but the problems haven't gone away) - but if it is, you want to get it treated.  A mild UTI you may be able to cure with liquids, but not a nasty one (and you cannot always tell by the symptoms). 

#22 of 25 Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisH View Post

Ladies, do get your urine checked out, to be sure!  That being said, it's well possible it's the pressure of the growing baby on an irritable bladder (I no longer have a UTI, but the problems haven't gone away) - but if it is, you want to get it treated.  A mild UTI you may be able to cure with liquids, but not a nasty one (and you cannot always tell by the symptoms). 

This is why I am not in a rush to drive so far to get a urine test.... this all started at the same time I was able to breathe and eat again so I think the baby is just starting to drop a little bit and put pressure on my bladder.  They didn't test my urine at the new OBs office on Monday, but on the 1st I had a trace of protein in it, and by the 9th it was back to normal (@ the midwife's)... I will however bring it up on the 30th.

The last two UTIs I had in DD's pregnancy were asymptomatic, so I may call my primary care doc to see about a quick test without a consult, and if it is + I can call my OB for a nurse visit.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#23 of 25 Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM

yup, I have the "is it a UTI or just normal 3rd trimester bladder smooshing/baby pressure" dilemma too.  

In my case, I pee all.the.time. I feel like I'm spending my whole life either in the bathroom, or searching for a bathroom. But then, usually when I'm active, I get a sudden 'emergency' feeling, and have to run to find a bathroom,  and sometimes I don't actually have to pee much, in terms of volume.  Generally, it gets better at night, and it kind of makes sense to me that it is the baby pushing on my bladder, since then, at night, being horizontal, the baby isn't right on top of my bladder - and I only wake up maybe once or twice in the night to go.

I decided that grabbing some cranberry supplements wouldn't hurt, either to run off a mild infection or to prevent one from occurring while everything is all smooshed up down there, and I'm trying to make an effort to increase my water intake which has been decreased as the temperature has gotten colder. But my provincial health insurance coverage doesn't kick in until the 1st of Dec - so I'd love to be able to put off any additional testing until then, as it will all be covered. I have a midwife appointment next week, so I guess I'll see what she says then, and hopefully they have test strips in-house to test my urine since they usually only test for protein and glucose. 

#24 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Just a little update.  Had my urine checked this morning and the sensations I was feeling is not from a UTI.  Bittersweet since it means I still have until delivery to put up with the burning/pinching/urgent/frequent peeing.

#25 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 PM

SumnerRain, if it's any comfort, I am having the same problem.  I had some (borderline) UTIs earlier, but while my urine is now as clear as could be, the lower abdomen pain / pressure / need to pee / burning hasn't gone away...  I find that it helps if I lie down on my left side / hang in the couch on my left side & take rest as much as possible.  Sitting on a straight chair for several hours makes it all worse.  I just came back from an information evening on breastfeeding: totally wonderful, but I needed to sit straight for several hours and in the end the pressure and need to pee (and subsequent belly pain / BH) increased dramatically.  Also walking and standing up for more than 10 mins is a problem.  Success with those last weeks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page