Just need reassurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is okay and I wasn't worried before my midwife appointment, but now I am a little bit. My last OB told me that I "will always need a c-section because your babies are too big for you, second babies are always bigger" and when I first met with the midwife group this pregnancy, one told me that second babies are usually a little bit bigger, but not to worry about my chance to vbac and I would not need a repeat c-section based on size alone. My first baby was 8 pounds and I gained 45+ pounds. I started at around 136 pounds, I am 5'7"

This baby I have gained only 21 pounds so far, I started ten pounds less, I was 127 when I got pregnant. On friday the midwife said my fundal height was on the small side. I never worried when they said in the beginning I was measuring big, but I thought I was going to have a bigger than 8 pound baby. But measuring small with fundal height - does that mean anything? Or could it be the way the baby is sitting? Because I feel more kicks in my center and side than I did with DD

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 AM

Fundal height is just to make sure that things are growing over time...measuring big or small by a bit isn't really a big deal. If you were measuring 4 weeks + or - that might be something to look at closer. The baby's position can impact the measurement. No need to worry but talk to your MW about it at your next appt if it really bothers you, no need to walk around with un-necessary anxiety. =)

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
My last OB told me that I "will always need a c-section because your babies are too big for you, second babies are always bigger"
This is absolutely false. Your baby is the perfect size, and your body CAN birth your baby. Don't worry about fundal height right now. If your fundal height was concerning, your midwife would have wanted to investigate further and let you know that. Try not to worry, mama. Your body knows what it is doing, and your baby is doing great.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
Or could it be the way the baby is sitting? Because I feel more kicks in my center and side than I did with DD
Your fundal height can vary depending on where they measure and where baby is sitting. At my last appointment, my doctor measured 27cm when he measured at the center of my bump, but 29cm when he measured the right side of my bump because that is where the baby is hanging out.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 PM

DDC crashing. It's not necessarily true that subsequent babies will be bigger. My first was 9lbs 13oz. My second was 9lbs. My third was 10 lbs 8oz. My fourth was 9lbs 4oz. With the first pregnancy I gained 40lbs. With the second I gained 60lbs. With the third I gained 80lbs. With the fourth I gained 17lbs.

I'm 5'8", and started out the first three pregnancies weighing 173lbs. I weighed 217 when I started the fourth pregnancy.

Don't worry about fundal height. Don't be too concerned about the size of the baby. Your emotions going into labor will affect the progress, however. If you're worried about the size of the baby and the likelihood of a c-section, it may cause you to "hold the baby in" longer than you normally would, which can result in a larger baby & c-section. It's a self fulfilling prophesy.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM
mra

Quote:
This is absolutely false. Your baby is the perfect size, and your body CAN birth your baby.
I agree!

winner.jpg  cd.gif  femalesling.GIF  familybed1.gif

Old 11-07-2010, 01:59 PM

I think the fundal height depends on who is measuring too. At my 24 week appt I was measuring exactly at 24 but at my 30 week appt I was measuring 35. Different people did those measurements and I didn't gain a crazy amount of weight in those 6 weeks. Maybe 5 pounds?

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtYourCervices View Post
DDC crashing. It's not necessarily true that subsequent babies will be bigger. My first was 9lbs 13oz. My second was 9lbs. My third was 10 lbs 8oz. My fourth was 9lbs 4oz. With the first pregnancy I gained 40lbs. With the second I gained 60lbs. With the third I gained 80lbs. With the fourth I gained 17lbs.
Same here, my first was 9lbs 1/4oz, #2 was 9.5lbs, #3 8lbs 6oz and I really think #4 will be the smallest yet.

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11

User Tag List