Funny weight conversation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

... if I wasn't really comfortable with my body, and lucky enough to only gain weight in my boobs and belly this pregnancy, it probably wouldn't be funny at all.  But go ahead and giggle at my bachelor friend's ignorance.

Him: ...well you still have like 40lbs to gain, right?

Me: Actually recommended weight gain is 25-35lbs, and I have already gained 15-20.

Him: Really!?!  I would have guessed you had put on like 50lbs!  *pause*  I guess it must look heavier than it is.

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#2 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 AM

Ouch! Men... Not always the brightest! DH's bachelor friend stopped by 3 days after ds2 was born. I went out on the deck to greet him. He looks up and says: "oh wow, you're still showing! I thought you'd have lost your belly by now.". I said, "well, I only had him 3 days ago.". He says, "yeah, but I thought you'd be smaller by now.". He's not the brightest, and I actually felt really good by how I looked already, and it didn't bother me at all. I did laugh at him and tell him he probably shouldn't say that to anyone who'd recently had a baby.

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#3 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaraMonillas View Post

... if I wasn't really comfortable with my body, and lucky enough to only gain weight in my boobs and belly this pregnancy, it probably wouldn't be funny at all.  But go ahead and giggle at my bachelor friend's ignorance.

Me: Actually recommended weight gain is 25-35lbs, and I have already gained 15-20.

Him: Really!?!  I would have guessed you had put on like 50lbs!  *pause*  I guess it must look heavier than it is.

LOL!  I'm glad you were able to not rip his head off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1001 View Post

Ouch! Men... Not always the brightest! DH's bachelor friend stopped by 3 days after ds2 was born. I went out on the deck to greet him. He looks up and says: "oh wow, you're still showing! I thought you'd have lost your belly by now.". I said, "well, I only had him 3 days ago.". He says, "yeah, but I thought you'd be smaller by now.". He's not the brightest, and I actually felt really good by how I looked already, and it didn't bother me at all. I did laugh at him and tell him he probably shouldn't say that to anyone who'd recently had a baby.

My husband freely admits that when he walked into my hospital room after my emergency transfer with my 2nd birth, the first thing he did was look at my stomach to see if I was still pregnant.  He and I both laugh about it because he even knew that I would still look pregnant.  smile.gif

I have guy friend who told another mutual friend that she had birthing hips.  Oy!  This was before either of them were married and he is known for not thinking before he speaks.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#4 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 AM

Oh dear. LOL. Everybody is telling me my belly is huge, but they usually mean in comparison to the rest of my body, which hasn't gained any weight at all, so I know they're meaning well at least. I usually get 'You're huge' and 'you're tiny' in the same sentence. LOL

Tracie, mama to dd5, ds4, and ds born Dec. '10

#5 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaraMonillas View Post

LOL. What is with people?! I've gotten similar comments, and I'm in the same boat—feeling lucky to have only gained weight in boobs and belly. A few weeks ago I accidentally sort of kicked the leg of a chair as I was walking past it. One of my coworkers was like, "Guess it's getting a little tight to maneuver all that around now, huh?!?!" At that point I had only gained like seven pounds and was barely showing! Jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1001 View Post

He's much better educated now, but at first DH was seriously shocked to learn that I will not look pre-pregnant the second the baby is out. I guess that sort of makes sense from a purely mechanical standpoint, but .... no :P

#6 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post

My husband freely admits that when he walked into my hospital room after my emergency transfer with my 2nd birth, the first thing he did was look at my stomach to see if I was still pregnant.  He and I both laugh about it because he even knew that I would still look pregnant.  smile.gif

I have guy friend who told another mutual friend that she had birthing hips.  Oy!  This was before either of them were married and he is known for not thinking before he speaks.

That's funny. After I had my first, my little sister walked into the room, looked at me and said "Why are you still fat?" I had to explain that you don't just deflate.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#7 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 PM

DDCC to say that when I had my first I assumed that once the baby was out my belly would go back to the way it used to look that same day. Nobody had ever told me otherwise so I figured it must? Of course I gained 80lbs with my first so there is no way that is even possible, but I was young and naive. You know what they say when you assume!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#8 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 PM
myk

i was shocked how long it took the uterus to return to normal size - never mind the other considerations (hello, leg swelling..). i figured once i got a baby out of there, i'd be significantly deflated. boy did i learn the hard way!

i just told my husband that i'd still look pregnant for a while because it takes a couple months for uterine involution. he was surprised. glad i warned him :)

January 2011
#9 of 11 Old 11-13-2010, 02:28 PM

When I was around 24 weeks a young man was I think trying to be conversational in a nice way, but casually asked how was I feeling "having to carry around so much extra weight for so long, that I must be due any day now"    yikes.gif    .... I was measuring just a *little* bit ahead and even though I gained all my weight in my belly at that time my gain was only about 5 pounds or so and I was just getting used to the idea that I was starting to finally look pregnant!

#10 of 11 Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 AM

Just the other day I was at my parent's house and said I got a good deal on a yoga ball and my dad smiled and said "did you eat it?" PUNK! Only because it was my dad and I know he was completely joking did he get away with it. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#11 of 11 Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM

DHs can get away with saying so much.

I had been talking about wanting to buy a swimsuit so I could take my 17 month old swimming during this pregnancy when I'm finished working in the middle of December, and my hubby said to me, "yikes, is there going to be enough water in the pool?" Then, "get a blue bathing suit, and I'll bring a harpoon!" He's just lucky I have a good sense of humour. ;)

Other than the occasional joke, he's really good about it. I put on 45 lbs with my first, and took it all off within 4 months, so when I told him that I'm on track to gain the same amount, if not more, with this one, he just shrugged and said, "so what, you're all belly, and you'll take it off again, just like last time. You're still beautiful!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page