How are the hypnobirthing/hypnobabies Mama's doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I started my hypnobabies home study course last week.  So far, so good.  I'm getting into it.  I fall asleep (or do I winky.gif) most of the time.  The biggest challenge for me will be finding the time to consistently do it like I'm suppose to.  The ladies voice doesn't irk me like I've read it does some.  I'm feeling confident that this can be a technique that works for me.  I was skeptical but I'm feeling pretty positive about it.  It will be interesting to see how it goes.  Anybody else doing it? How's it going for you?

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#2 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 12:46 PM

I'm doing hypnobirthing and we have our first class tonight from 7 - 10pm.  So late!  I'm hoping I can stay awake for the darn thing. 

#3 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM

We just finished class 2 of Hypnobabies (live class) on Sunday.

I've taught Hypnobabies for 3 years now but it's so different being on the other side!  Since we had been trying to have a baby the entire time I've been teaching, I would always read the script to the class or listen to the CDs myself and hope that one day all of that would pertain to me.  Now that it does, it's so EASY because my mind doesn't have to translate what I'm hearing into "maybe one day..."  It's all about this baby that's already in me.  It's just so strange that the little baby in the posters is representing my baby and that I'm the hypno-mom!  Anyway, my good friend and collegue is teaching us and 3 other couples and we are all homebirth/birthing center couples, which is really cool.

Since we are in week 2 now, the home play really picks up but so far, we have loved doing the scripts together and I love the Deepening CD and Finger Drop practice.  Now I just have to start working all the prenatal exercises into my daily routine too.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#4 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 01:01 PM

The lady's voice does irk me, sometimes. It's really weird, sometimes it's okay and sometimes it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I started early so I am doing the maintenance. I am pretty excited so far.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM

I'm on the week 4 class, and I am really liking it so far. I notice that it keeps me a lot happier when I listen to the tracks--if I miss a day, I get grumpier and feel more depressed.  orngtongue.gif  I am having trouble remembering to do the finger drop practices, though.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#6 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM

I've been practicing for quite some time (about 3 months so far).  I've spent a lot of time on each week of study.  I stick with a week until I feel like I am ready to advance, and it takes me longer than I should because I don't do my daily practice.  I'm on week 4 right now and need to work some on practicing going into hypnosis with the touch on the forehead, etc before I am ready to move on to week 5.

At first I didn't really think it was doing much for me (other than putting me to sleep at night :p) but lately I have discovered that I can put myself to sleep almost immediately by switching off my lightswitch.  It's been pretty amazing!  I guess it relaxes me so much that it just puts me to sleep and that makes me optimistic abut what it can do for me during (to use hypno-speak) my birthing time. 

#7 of 30 Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 AM

I'm taking a live Hypnobabies class, just had my second one on Saturday. I'm a fidgety person and have a hard time staying still when my light switch is off, and I also have moments where I'm like, "Am I really in hypnosis? Is this working?" I also have a hard time doing scripts with my husband, it always makes me laugh! But I fight through the giggles and put a stack of pillows between us so he can't look at me, and we're doing okay now. I have confidence in the program and that I'll get better with practice. I like it a lot so far. I love how positive and encouraging it is about birth and pregnancy.

One thing I'm kind of skeptical about is the Brewer Diet, which we talked about last class. I'm supposed to keep a daily chart of what I'm eating and give it to the instructor each class. I'm not into the idea of being accountable to her for my food choices, and I've always preferred to simply eat healthy instead of following a specific plan or diet.

#8 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 AM

I'm still on week 1....for the third week in a row.

Sometimes I fall asleep, sometimes I stay awake...but I just don't think I'm getting it so I'm hesitant to move on to #3 and 4. I hate the breathing. I end up yawning and dying for air by the time I count down from 8 on the exhale. That part is not relaxing at all, and I can never relax my eyelids enough that they won't open. I feel like I'll never be able to get this to work for me if I can't even get by these two things.

I've done lots of guided meditations in the past, but I'm really struggling with hypnobabies week 1. Any advice??

#9 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spargel View Post

I'm still on week 1....for the third week in a row.

Sometimes I fall asleep, sometimes I stay awake...but I just don't think I'm getting it so I'm hesitant to move on to #3 and 4. I hate the breathing. I end up yawning and dying for air by the time I count down from 8 on the exhale. That part is not relaxing at all, and I can never relax my eyelids enough that they won't open. I feel like I'll never be able to get this to work for me if I can't even get by these two things.

I've done lots of guided meditations in the past, but I'm really struggling with hypnobabies week 1. Any advice??

do you belong to the hypnobabies yahoo group? They will give tips,but honestly, they have said not to worry if you fall asleep, and not getting your eyes to not open is not a big deal. The group is a big help.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#10 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 08:00 AM

I agree with lillymonster that the Hypnobabies yahoo group or FB group are great resources!  I tend to ignore the breathing to the count of...whatever...part but I just know that the point is to transition to breathing more slowly and deeply so I do that.  I wouldn't let that stress you out.  Just do it in a way that works for you.  As for not opening your eyes, it does say, "if you DO NOTHING to remove that relaxation...." so you can just choose to "DO NOTHING" and see how then, they don't open!

4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#11 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the tips on the yahoo group and FB group. I feel a little better now. I think I'll finish out the week on the first CD and then call it a success and move on to the next CD!

#12 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 PM

I have listened to the week 1 tracks a few times.  I just do not have the time at home to be able to listen (lots of days it is just me and my LO at home in the evenings), so I have had to listen at work.  I am getting worried that I am not going to be able to finish the course before baby comes.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#13 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me View Post

I have listened to the week 1 tracks a few times.  I just do not have the time at home to be able to listen (lots of days it is just me and my LO at home in the evenings), so I have had to listen at work.  I am getting worried that I am not going to be able to finish the course before baby comes.

I don't have time either, but I loaded them into my iPod, found some comfy ear buds, and I put in the two tracks in my playlist (I rotate, 1 + pregnancy affirmations T, TH, Sat, then the other + affirmations M, W, Fri, Sun) and I listen to it while I fall asleep.  I also will start them again when I wake up to pee and then struggle to fall asleep.  I slept through 80% of all my tracks my last pregnancy and still had a very peaceful, comfortable birth.  As a bonus, the ear buds sometimes go in without sound because they drown out the hubby's snoring, the kids' coughing, and the older kids getting ready for school in the morning.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#14 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 AM

I'm not taking a class or the official hypnobabies, but I have been meeting w/ someone one-on-one who is a hypnotist. She has worked w/ a couple mothers in the past-including a friend who referred me. We've only met 2x & this Sun we r meeting. I have a cd that I'm supposed to use everyday, that's a lil over 20 minutes. I did miss 2 days, but got it in last night.  I did fall asleep once or twice when listening to it before-not sure if I got to the end or not.

I'm enjoying it. I did it last night & the dog was right near me chewing on a bone. Kind of distracting at first, but then it didn't bother me. I even heard hubby put DS back to bed.  I'm really hoping it prepares me. I'm worried about meeting her later on b/c I do live up north and I'm not a fan of driving in the snow.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#15 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 AM

so you can listen to the affirmations at any time during the process?

#16 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spargel View Post

so you can listen to the affirmations at any time during the process?

You can listen to pregnancy affirmations any time.  Birthing affirmations are for during the birth...or past 37 weeks if you really want to.

#17 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Well, this is my second birth with Hypnobabies.  Here's my story with my first:

I followed my schedule exactly, and would get a chance after DS1 went to bed to do my track of the day.  And every day, without fail, I would be asleep about 2 minutes into it.  DH would come upstairs 2 hours later and wake me up to get ready for bed.  Once I completed the full schedule, and made it to "maintenance mode", I just put all the tracks that I had done on my iPod, on repeat and put it on when I went to bed at night.  I don't think I heard past 5 minutes into ANY track.  While "awake" anyway.  I rarely practiced my fingerdrops.  I tried to use Anesthesia when I would have a weird pain, or BHs, but it didn't seem to do much for me.  I did use it when I had to get a few blood draws (I am DEATHLY afraid of needles), and I have to say... it worked for that!  Even when they had problems finding my vein, I would stay calm and cool.  Prior to that, I would've passed out.   At my birth, I was at 5cm when the midwife first checked me, and was amazed I was that far because I would simply "turn off" during a contraction, get past it, and then go about what I was doing.  She then tried 3 times to get a needle in me due to GBS+ and the antibiotics she was trying to give me.  She had me lay down, in case I passed out.  Laying down was NOT a comfortable position for me in that birth. This was THE ONLY time in my labor I could say I had a hard time getting through contractions.  After the third try, we both agreed to "give up" and she would try an antiobiotic vaginal wash, which would at least do something.  She decided to check me before she sent her RN back home (who lived 5 minutes from me), since my prior labor had been pretty lengthy.  This was 30 minutes after she first checked me and I was 5cm.  She checked me, and I was 10cm!!  I would've guessed I was at a 6!  Yes, it was tough to lay on my back, while having a needle jammed in my hand 3 different times, during transition.  BUT I NEVER would've guessed I was at that point.  I ran out and jumped in my birth pool.  About 5 or 10 minutes later (not sure of timing), my body completely took over and starting pushing the baby down.  I had to HOLD BACK my pushing so I didn't tear, he was coming down and out so fast.  It was the weirdest thing to do!  After about 8 minutes, he was born!  No burning, no tearing (I held my hand on his head the whole time). I never got a chance to listen to any of my Hypnobabies during the birth (I thought I had tons of time left), and it was AMAZING.  Honestly, thinking back on it, the only part I think "badly" of was the needle part.  I remember the sensation of that, and not really the "waves". 

This time around, I started VERY early with my Hypnobabies, went through the weekly schedule, but only putting on a track a night, and having it repeat all night.  It really helps me sleep.  Once I hit about 20 weeks, I was at maintenance mode, and now have all my tracks repeating nightly.  I'll occasionally remember a part of my dream, and I'll be explaining something to someone about a painless childbirth or something, then I'll wake up with one of the kids, and realized THAT was the part that was playing on my iPod.  I would literally quote Hypnobabies in my dreams.  So I know I'm "getting" it into my subconcious.  I will try to put them on during the day, while I'm doing stuff, just to try and hear what she's saying.  I'm amazed by what she says!  I honestly don't "remember" any of it, but my body sure did! 

This is a long story, thanks for anyone who made it through the whole thing!  But what I'm trying to say is that IT WORKS!!!  You may fall asleep, you may not "feel" it working (I never "felt" on or off), but when the time comes, it does amazing things!

spargel likes this.

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#18 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM

I can't breathe the way they want me to.  I am not sure why, I think it is just too long a time for me.  I am already pretty relaxed when I take the first or second deep breath.  ANyway, just ignore the cues and do whatever breathing is relaxing for you!

#19 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Seeing this thread has been a kick in the butt for me. I'm currently getting my tracks into my iPod. I'm debating starting tomorrow or waiting till Monday. We'll see what wins out. But the bottom line is that I'm running out of time!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#20 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Aubree-I read the whole thing-haha. I hope that my one-on-one sessions & practicing at home gets results near your results from last time.  I get worried since I've fallen asleep a couple times.

SAHM. BF
#21 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM

I can't either, it makes me hyperventilate.  I asked the creator of Hypnobabies about it and she said it is fine, just breathe in a way that *I* find relaxing.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtamanda View Post

I can't breathe the way they want me to.  I am not sure why, I think it is just too long a time for me.  I am already pretty relaxed when I take the first or second deep breath.  ANyway, just ignore the cues and do whatever breathing is relaxing for you!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#22 of 30 Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 AM

This is very encouraging to hear! Thanks for your story. I moved on to fear clearing last night (and slept right through it!) I'll keep plugging away but will try to do some during the afternoons so I can stay awake for some of it!

#23 of 30 Old 11-24-2010, 08:06 AM

We did the whole numbing thing at my last appointment-very awesome.  She said it would be hard on my own-but the first time I practiced it was pretty easy-but 2nd time I think I was so tired I couldn't concentrate a bunch.

Does the class/official hypnobaby stuff say u r to use cd's/tapes during ur labor or just do it on ur own?  I'm not sure if I should bring a portable cd player or not for labor.

SAHM. BF
#24 of 30 Old 11-26-2010, 08:33 AM

My husband and I have been doing the script that involves placing his hand on my forehead/shoulder and saying "relax," and every single time he does it I just bust up laughing! I know I'll get used to it (I used to giggle whenever he read scripts and now I'm fine, so I'm sure it'll be the same with this,) but it just seems goofy sometimes.

#25 of 30 Old 11-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Annablue - ha ha!  Yes, I think you will get used to it.  Although laughing during your birthing time could be nice!

We are on that script too and I love the hand on the forehead...which is surprising to me...I thought I would like the shoulder more than the forehead.

Monica - I think it's best to have a CD player for the birthing time too in case you want to listen to scripts.  Some people prefer to give themselves prompts or have someone else give them but you might end up wanting to put headphones on and go into your own little world for a while or play the CDs outloud.

#26 of 30 Old 11-27-2010, 04:55 AM

So r u having ur husbands/SO's beside/with you the whole time you practice?  My DH hasn't been w/ me to a session yet b/c we have no one to watch our DS.  My hypnotist uses the touch the shoulder method & when I practice I just imagine it happening. Which is working out ok so far.  I have a portable dvd player, so I'll just make sure to get some headphones in case I want to bring it.

SAHM. BF
#27 of 30 Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 AM

Yes, in Hypnobabies the birth partner reads the scripts to you and practices the physical techniques (hand on the shoulder or forehead, etc) and verbal prompts (relax, release, peace, etc).  Maybe you can get your DH to do the touch your shoulder method with you while you are listening to the CD outloud (I think you said your hypnotist records the sessions, right?).

#28 of 30 Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 AM

yes, she records the sessions so i can take it home & practice.  he's willing to go it's just a babysitter problem. he will prob go w/ me right before Christmas when we have family in.

I guess he could just sit there while i listen and then do the touches. i'm afraid he might crack up or make me laugh. he is supportive just doesn't grasp/understand the concept.

SAHM. BF
#29 of 30 Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 PM

I think it depends on if the program is designed around him helping you.  If so, I would say he definitely needs to practice with you so that he gets the giggles out of his system (I think almost EVERYONE has them the first few times).  But if the program is more for you do guide yourself with suggestions, then maybe it's not as important.  I guess you can ask your hypnotist if the intention is to have help or be more self-guided.  In Hypnobabies, it's pretty clear that the Birth Partner plays a significant role (unless it's a single mom and the materials are designed differently in that case).

#30 of 30 Old 11-27-2010, 07:54 PM

whoops. i need to get back on this. two or three weeks ago i got through 5 days of week 1, but then my iPod dock speaker thing died and listening with earbuds hardly seems relaxing to me. i'll be 32 weeks this week. still in time to be on time if i start over. thanks for the reminder!

hoping for a !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page