Micah Update - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Micah is 6 days old now.  He was moved to the graduate NICU Wed night which is an awesome step.  It is much quieter up there so I think it is easier for him to rest and grow.  Plus, they can dim the lights more at night so he gets more into a "normal" schedule.  :P  He is off his CPAP and is on 1liter of high flow room air because he was working a bit too hard when they trialed him off all support.  He did have to go under bili lights for about 24 hours but when I talked to the nurse last night, she said he was off of them.  Yay!  He is getting breast milk for his feeds (and he was getting donor milk before I was producing enough--I am so glad that option is available here otherwise they would have given him formula.).  My milk has come in so I am spending lots of up close and personal time with my pump.  My kids and my cats are fascinated by the entire process.  LOL!

The doctors did notice a heart murmur and did an echo on him yesterday morning.  There is a blood vessel in the heart called the patent ductus arteriosis (PDA) that exists while baby is in utero and is supposed to close after the baby is born.  It diverts blood from the lungs while baby is connected to the placenta, but after birth it needs to close so that the blood can go to the lungs to get oxygen.  Micah's is not closing and there was significant blood flow in both directions so the doctors are giving him a medication to try and get it to close.  They think that if it closes then he will be able to wean off the high flow air.  They will do an echo again on him Sunday to see if it is smaller and if it isn't, they will decide what to do from there.  We are keeping our fingers crossed that it closes!

He is currently in an isolette to maintain his body temperature.  He has several ounces to gain before he will be able to move into an open crib.  Because of that, we are limited in how much we get to hold him although I did get to kangaroo him a few days ago.  Because we are an hour away and have 2 other kids at home, we most likely won't be able to make it down every day to see him.  Which completely sucks.  :(  Once the kids are back in school on Monday, I think it will be easier to get on a regular schedule for me to see him.  Luckily the nurses in the NICU are good about taking phone calls to give updates.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Thank you for the update, what a hard time.  I can't imagine how you must feel to be away from your baby.  (((hugs)))

I hope you have a happy thanksgiving, and he continues to grow stronger!!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#3 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 04:40 PM

I just read the first post and this one now, congratulations on baby Micah!!
Such a good size on him, that's excellent. One of my preemies was a 30 weeker too (smaller).

And I'm so glad to hear he is doing so well! So great. :D

I hope his ductus closes with the meds, all fingers crossed for that. And that he continues to do excellent progress and is home before you know it. Lots of good thoughts your way!

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#4 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the update and all of that interesting info about how the heart and lungs work in utero!

I can't even imagine being so far from your baby and not being able to see him every day but thank goodness for those wonderful, caring nurses!  Glad he's gotten breastmilk the whole time too - that's wonderful.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#5 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Sounds like you guys are in for a smooth and short nicu stay. Glad he is doing so well. I hope his little heart vessel closes up. And you better keep an eye on those kids... They'll be trying to pump milk for Micah too. ;)

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#6 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Glad to hear he is progressing. Def happy to hear the nurses are keeping u updated when u aren't there. Hang in there & get some rest :)

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#7 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Great news about the move to the graduate NICU. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#8 of 16 Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Thank you for taking the time to update us. It sounds like you have a strong one there. I am praying for you, Micah and the rest of your family!

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#9 of 16 Old 11-26-2010, 12:56 AM
myk

thank you for the update! i hope the ductus arteriosis closes very soon. and i really hope you'll be able to see him more often soon too!

January 2011
#10 of 16 Old 11-27-2010, 08:05 AM

A big hug for you and the little guy. I hope the duct closes on its own and he comes home soon.

#11 of 16 Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post

My milk has come in so I am spending lots of up close and personal time with my pump.  My kids and my cats are fascinated by the entire process.  LOL!

Your cats must be like "WHATT??? Its not for us?The milk smells heavenly, and you are just bottling it up and, and stashing it away in the freezer? IN THEFREEZER???"

OR "Somebody please teach her how to breastfeed. She's just fumbling around with some bottles.Or teach US how to open the freezer"

Too bad the NICU is an hrs drive away. That sucks, when the only thing you want to do is to just hold him tight and kiss and squish and all that. Im really interested in your Kangaroo session. Was he awake during it? Did he 'look' at you? A couple of my friends with preemies say that their babies seemed much more active/smiley when kangarooed. Its like they instinctively know the mom's skin. How they must be longing to be held!!

Sorry about the murmur. But glad it isnt serious. Funny how things change in a matter of hours.....He should've still been inside you and cooking, and come 'home' some 8wks later. Was that the reason for the preterm birth?

Do you have any adult taking care of the kids when you arent around? Or is it just you and your dh? Hope you get adequate rest. Keep us posted. Best of luck to you and your dh. hug.gif

#12 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 11:52 AM
myk

i would love to hear more about your Kangaroo too, what a wonderful thing. when i was born it was basically me in an incubator, kangaroo care wasn't done. i can't imagine. i am SO glad pumping is going well!

January 2011
#13 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyA View Post

Sorry about the murmur. But glad it isnt serious. Funny how things change in a matter of hours.....He should've still been inside you and cooking, and come 'home' some 8wks later. Was that the reason for the preterm birth?

Do you have any adult taking care of the kids when you arent around? Or is it just you and your dh? Hope you get adequate rest. Keep us posted. Best of luck to you and your dh. hug.gif

His PDA closed!  Yay!  No more heart murmur and no more stress about a possibility of needing surgery.  :)

Becky--my water had apparently broken--probably a couple of weeks before he was actually born.  I had a pretty severe cold and I'm wondering if all of the coughing I was doing caused it to break.  I assumed the leakage was bladder, but apparently not.  The hospital I was at has a policy of not stopping labor if the waters are broken because it could be that your body is going into labor due to a threat of infection (either you or baby).  We do have a lot of support around here--both of our parents are nearby (although his are more of an extreme emergency use only due for a variety of reasons) and we have several very good friends who are able to help out as needed.  We are very blessed.

I've only been able to kangaroo him one time so far due to timing issues and the fact that dh has wanted to hold him also.  I couldn't really see him because he was snuggled up under my chin but he did lay his hand on my neck.  So sweet!  He just really snuggled in and was very content.  I'm hoping that I can kangaroo him again tomorrow when I go down since it will be just me.

He is a very easy-going baby.  When we went in on Friday they had just put in a central line and were fiddling with it and he wasn't even crying.  My daughter would have been screaming (not surprisingly!) but he just had his arm hanging out to the side and let the nurses do his thing.  I'm hoping he stays a pretty easy-going guy!  My other two are pretty  high-strung so it would be a nice change--LOL!

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#14 of 16 Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 PM

I am SO SO glad to hear a positive update!!!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#15 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
myk

i'm so happy the PDA is no longer an issue! you must be so relieved. i hope you can get lots more kangaroo time with the little guy.. it sounds heavenly :)

January 2011
#16 of 16 Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Oh, that is great news!

I hope he continues with his excellent progress. :D

And kangaroo-care is just the best. :love

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page