How many& what type of baby clothes do we need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I knwo this is #2 but I'm a lil lost on how many sleepers I should have around and how many long-sleeve body suits, socks, caps, etc. DS was born late April in a hot climate so I wasn't as concerned.

I need to look through what clothes we have & figure out what I need to exchange for diff sizes or diff types...

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#2 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good thread. I've been thinking about this as well. My first was a September baby so I just have short sleeve onsies in newborn size. I figure I'll pick up a sweater or two to layer over the short sleeve onsies. This time around we'll need some pants for the little guy. (My first was just in a onsie with a blanket over him the majority of the time.) But I'm unsure of how many....

I also wonder if newborn size pants will be large enough to accomodate a cloth bum. I am trying to keep the diapers on the trim side and my first guy was a peanut.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#3 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM

DDCC - My DD was a February baby and for the longest time she wore one of the following combinations :

1.) short sleeve onesie, socks, and gown

2.) short sleeve onesie, and sleeper

Add in hats as neccesary of course but that was the basic routine, especially since most of the time she was in a wrap with me.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

so u don't think a ton of long sleeve bodysuits are necessary? i'm about to go through what we have. i think we have too many newborn items. i know i got some short sleeve bodysuits. She will be in our bedroom which is the coldest room in the condo so that's my main concern.

I have some caps &: socks.

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#5 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post

so u don't think a ton of long sleeve bodysuits are necessary? i'm about to go through what we have. i think we have too many newborn items. i know i got some short sleeve bodysuits. She will be in our bedroom which is the coldest room in the condo so that's my main concern.

I have some caps &: socks.

Personally I don't think so, all I used on DD was short-sleeve onesies (also we live in northern Michigan, so it's not exactly warm here...). I figured I would be layering her up and I'd get more use out of the short-sleeve ones. For bedtime we used a sleep sack over a sleeper - our room is cold too.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#6 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Keep in mind that a baby can wear a blanket and still be well dressed!

My previous baby was a September baby also, and I got long sleeved kimonos (side snap tees) for this babe. I felt that we could have used a few more (especially after one got eaten by my parents dog).

I'm awful though, I had very, very few clothes for my son, and haven't bought much for my daughter either. We (meaning dh) did a load of laundry every day-- we had a basket where we dumped everything that got messy-- blankets, flats, nursing pads, receiving blankets, baby clothes, mama clothes, even some of dh's clothes etc. Then we washed everything and stuck it unfolded straight back in that same basket.

Do you have someone helpful that you could ask to pick up a packet of onsies in X size after the baby comes?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 AM

A different, but related question--can a baby wear onesies while the cord is still attached?  Or do I need to get some tiny shirts that will allow his belly button to be exposed?

#8 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird13 View Post

A different, but related question--can a baby wear onesies while the cord is still attached?  Or do I need to get some tiny shirts that will allow his belly button to be exposed?

My son had this little clip on his cord that stayed on for a week after birth. (I spend 4 days at the hospital, and it was finally removed at his 2 day checkup).

Although the dr.'s/nurses instisted it wouldn't hurt him, I felt bad putting a onsie on him. But the realy reason for the side snap shirts is that ds would scream bloody murder when we tried to get anything over his big ole' head. the tees were so much easier to put on, and a better fit.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#9 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Onsies can also be folded into t-shirts.  But with that being said, I did prefer the kimonos, I just have not found them yet this pregnancy.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#10 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM

My other 2 were winter babies also.  I usually dressed them in a short sleeved onesie under a footed sleeper.  I think they each had one or two pants outfits, but I much prefer sleepers since socks don't stay on very well.  Plus, I never had issues with cloth diapers fitting under them.  I like to have 10 of each due to spitting issues.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#11 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM

I had a January baby last time and my favorite were long sleeved gowns.  I bought 4 more for this baby.  I'm not a huge fan of onesies for infants personally, especially at night.  I'm not wasting valuable sleeping time snapping onesies every 2 hours.  orngtongue.gif  I also bought several more kimono type long sleeved shirts. I'm not in a super cold climate, but I found that these with a swaddled blanket (and sometimes a hat) were warm enough.  

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#12 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 PM

I'm a big fan of gowns (things like this: http://www.amazon.com/Circo-Baby-Gown-2pk-Neutral/dp/B003IXV00A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291187647&sr=8-3).  It's super easy to change diapers in them at night (cloth diapers work in these).  My babies always live in gowns for a while.  They're usually either sleeping next to me or in a sling in the early months anyway, so I just go with what's easy!

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page