When do YOU think baby will show? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Even though this is my first (so I should reasonably expect to go past 40 weeks), I really feel like this kiddo is going to come a little early. The other day at my 34 week appointment, my midwife randomly said that she'd bet on seeing a baby a week+ before my due date. That would be fine with me! 

In the past week I've started feeling BH contractions for the first time, and overall I just feel much more ... intense. I have this extremely strong wild animal sort of urge to just hide away by myself, and I am seriously losing patience with phone calls, co-workers, and even random errands that involve interacting with the public. I'm always really private and introverted anyway, but lately it's been just crazy. This psychological shift is just reinforcing my belief that the baby is sort of imminent ... a Winter Solstice baby would be cool :o)

Anybody else have a strong feeling about when labor might start? If you already have a kiddo, did you kind of know when they would show up, or was it a total surprise?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 PM

I'm assuming I'll go to 42 weeks.  My mom went til about then with all 4 of us (DH's mom did with him too, not that that effects me).  So even though this baby is due Jan 28th, I think it'll be a Feb baby.  Although I would LOVE it if the baby were born on my b-day (Jan 29th).

Just a funny side note:  Almost every single one of my first-time mom clients say they have a feeling the baby will come early.  Of course, sometimes they are right and sometimes not.  I think maybe it's because they hear everyone telling them the baby will be "late" so they get to thinking "early" instead.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#3 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM

My providers and I ALWAYS thought my babies would come early.  Nope.  Never had one before my EDD.  Earliest was 40w2d by scheduled induction.  Latest was 41w.  I expect this baby will come between Jan 1 (40w5d) and Jan 5 (41w2d).

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#4 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM

A solstice baby would be so wonderful! With my other two I was 41 weeks both with the help of pitocin. I would love for this baby to come around the 38 week mark but I am not expecting it. 

Then again with my other two I was NOT active at all I just lazed around and I was horribly overweight. This time I am very active, exercise, eat better and I have gained half of what I gained the first time and a third of what I gained the second time.  So who knows!

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#5 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM

I knew with DD that she would be early and she was born at 37w3d this one I think will be early but not that early.  I think he will show up at around January 2nd or 3rd.  Big Daddy wants him to be here in December for taxes but he is just being silly.  My step daughters will be here until Jan 1st so I think he will wait till they leave to show up.  Although it would be cool for them to meet him! Instead of having to wait a few months. 

Big Momma

#6 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm not sure when this little one will show up. With my first, I did my best to be in the mindset that I would go late so I wouldn't be disappointed when my due date rolled by but instead he surprised us by being a week early. I know there is the old wive's tale that the second is usually earlier than the first, I am trying to be open to the possibility that this one might be late instead....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#7 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 PM

With my first I thought that perhaps he would come early but nope he came 8 days after my due date.  I remember getting really frustrated as my EDD came and went and no baby.  I was excited and just ready.  My OB did a membrane sweep and I started going into labor that evening. 

With this one I have a feeling that I will probably go over again.  If he/she wants to come a little early (a couple days not weeks) or on time then that's a-okay with me. 

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#8 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM

My first was 5 days early, my second was 5 days 'late'.  I wa surprised when my first came before the due date, and crushed when my 2nd lagged behind.  This one? I hope she's right on schedule.  Too many nearby bdays to share.

#9 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am reeeeeaaallly hoping early right now.  I kept saying I wanted to keep him in as far past christmas as possible,  but I am miserable.  I had dd at 37 weeks and ds at 38 weeks.  37 would be awesome this time, as its right past christmas.  I have a feeling he will come in Dec but we'll see. 

I am already in so much pain, these bh are awful!  I think they started at 34 weeks, this bad, with ds.  I am 33 weeks today.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#10 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM

My first was 37+4, and I was completely surprised.  I was actually in denial that I was in real labor until about halfway through.  I hope this one is later.  Can't get much earlier than that and still be term!  I would love to bake this little one until 39-40 weeks.

#11 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 PM

My first came at 39 weeks exactly.

#12 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM

My first was 41wks 1 day and man were those 7 days (8th was in labor) long. I think it was because I was thinking he *had* to come on about his due date. Nope. 

So I keep thinking I've got all the way to the end of January (I'm due the 23rd) and so I'm not fixing any date in my head or anyone else head. I have no idea when this one will come but as long as it's not too early or too too late I'll be happy. 

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#13 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 AM

My husband has predicted the date of each of our kids' birthdays (no joke).  So, I go to him to find out -- lol.  I've actually had a "feeling" the day before each birth.  There's always a night when I say to my belly, "OK, baby, I'm ready now."  And, voila, they've come the next day.  That being said, I always mentally prepare to go past my due date.  (I haven't yet....6 days early, 5 days early, and one on the due date.)  I think it's just easier for me if I put myself past my due date so I don't get anxious and/or disappointed when it rolls around.

My only goal is to make it to Christmas day because then I'll be full term and in the clear for the home birth.  :-)  (And the flip side is to have the baby by 42 weeks, so I'm in the clear for a home birth.)

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#14 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 AM

I had DS 8days late, somewhat induced b/c I was slowly going into labor. So I had water broken & pitocin.

This time...I'm not nearly as big. Baby seems more active & I think I'm getting a few BH...which I didn't get any contractions til a week or 2 before due date last time.  I don't think I'll be as late as last time. Don't see her making an arrival any earlier than 1 or 2 weeks before due date-if that.  She won't come in Dec b/c that would just be too convenient for insurance and tax purposes-haha!

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#15 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 10:34 AM

I have no clue! But I wouldn't be surprised if she came a little later, since I didn't get a positive HPT until the day of my missed period - which makes me wonder if perhaps I ovulated late.

#16 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM

I have no idea whatsoever either. But the january full moon is the day after my due date, so that seems like a plenty good day, to me. 

My mom keeps saying that the baby will be early because "[I'm] just too big to have a baby grow another 6 weeks in there", which...*sigh*.... thanks, mom. So helpful. She kept talking about how the baby won't make it to christmas on the inside , until I sat her down and told her that if the baby was born that early, it would be premature, and I wouldn't get to birth the way I would most like, so it would be really nice if she could instead wish for a happy, healthy full term baby, whenever she decides to show up. 

#17 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 PM

I think my little one will be early. Not as early as my first, who was five weeks early, but I'm willing to bet this one shows up at the 38 week side of things. There is a full moon right then...which by my track record is a good thing. But....we'll see. I keep telling anyone who asks when I am due that I don't decide that sort of thing- that little one does. I'm on her schedule!

#18 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Both of my girls were early on their own. DD1 came at 37 weeks, DD2 came at 39 weeks. This is the first time I've ever measured on schedule and/or ahead at most of my appointments. So I am thinking he will definitely come before my EDD. At my appointment today (almost 36 weeks) I was almost 2cm and 60% effaced. Baby's head is way down low and pressing on the cervix.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#19 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM

I've had a feeling all along that the baby would come early, even though this is a first baby - my money was always on the full moon in December, when I'll be 38 weeks. But I started having strong contractions every few minutes at 34 weeks, accompanied by being dilated to 2 - 2.5 cm, so now I'm not sure I'll even make it that far. The current plan is to stay on bedrest until I hit 37 weeks and then resume normal activity and see what happens. I start contracting like mad as soon as I so much as sit up, so I'm pretty sure I'll get up on December 14th, start tackling all the housework that I can't do right now, and promptly go into labor. :p

#20 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat_canuck View Post

I have no idea whatsoever either. But the january full moon is the day after my due date, so that seems like a plenty good day, to me. 

My mom keeps saying that the baby will be early because "[I'm] just too big to have a baby grow another 6 weeks in there", which...*sigh*.... thanks, mom. So helpful. She kept talking about how the baby won't make it to christmas on the inside , until I sat her down and told her that if the baby was born that early, it would be premature, and I wouldn't get to birth the way I would most like, so it would be really nice if she could instead wish for a happy, healthy full term baby, whenever she decides to show up. 

This is my mother exactly.  I told her that if the baby comes when she predicts, baby will spend time in the NICU.  She stopped making comments after that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page