Birth plan? What should this look like? (blush) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am sorry if this is already a topic here, I couldnt find it in my search...

PLEASE HELP!!!!            I have NEVER made or had a birth plan but it was suggested to me that I have one for this birth, being that more people are involved ( midwife and OB co-managing this pregnancy).

I dont even know where to begin? How detailed should this be? How much weight does it have/is it just a ideal birth outline? What do I include?   Any ideas, examples and advice are very welcome  :)

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This was my birth plan for my first son. My goal was just to hit the highpoints and not get too into little details. Looking at it now, I'm surprised I didn't have more about breastfeeding (avoiding pacis and whatnot) but then the hospital I delivered at was very pro-breastfeeding and pretty much all of their patients roomed in with baby. They did take my son out of the room to do the heel prick but my hubby went with him. I was pretty exhausted and glad to have hubby take responsibility there but I think they would have done it in the room if I had wanted.

We will be striving to have a natural childbirth and would appreciate the help of the hospital staff to achieve that goal.

• Please discuss all procedures, no matter how routine they are, with us before doing them.

• I would like to be free to walk and change positions as desired during labor.

• We prefer that fetal heart tones be monitored intermittently with an external monitor or Doppler.

• To retain privacy, we would prefer that everyone knock before entering and ask that the number of people in the room be kept to the minimum.

• Please do not offer anesthesia/analgesia unless we ask for it.

• I would prefer vaginal exams be kept to a minimum.

• I do not want an episiotomy administered. I would like the midwife on call to give me guidance while pushing so the perineum can stretch to avoid tearing.

• Even if I am fully dilated, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.

• I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like.

• I would like to hold and breastfeed the baby immediately.

• Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut. Dad does not wish to cut the cord.

• If the baby must leave Mom for evaluation or medical treatment, Dad will accompany the baby.

• We would like to waive the administration of eye antibiotics.

• We would like to waive the administration of routine Vitamin K, unless medically indicated.

• We would like to waive the administration of the Hep B vaccination.

• We are anticipating the arrival of a boy and do not plan to circumcise

There were parts that were not honored. The midwife on call did ask hubby to cut the cord which he did (because he felt weird saying no). I ended up on pit and got an epidural (the nurses never brought up pain meds to me) and so of course my options for pushing were very limited.  Pit also eliminated the possibility for intermittent monitoring due to hospital policy.

I think it is mainly an outline of what you hope happens. Some of it may not be possible for whatever reason.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#3 of 8 Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut. Dad does not wish to cut the cord

Allisonrose, quick question (sorry OP, it's not on the composition of the birthplan), out of interest: why did you and your DH not want him to cut the umbilical cord?  I am asking, because DH and I are having an argument about this: I was shown a hospital video where the OB handed the scissors to the father to cut the cord while the baby was still halfway in the mother, but the cord needed to be cut because it was wrapped around the neck.  Needless to say, in such a situation I'd just want the obgyn to get on with it....  DH disagrees, much to my horror.

On the birthplan, I plan to have a longlist and a shortlist card with the absolute key issues (trying to keep it to five or so), to make sure my most important requests will be attended to properly.  So shortlist would include preference for no pain medication, for example, longlist would have preferences about the umbilical cord.  Will ask DH to monitor followup of longlist, but bring shortlist very explicitly to the attention of everyone. (I think I am also fairly lucky, as hospitals are more restrained in applying interventions here in the Netherlands than they are in the US - to the point where women are concerned about *not* getting what they might want ....).

#4 of 8 Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

EllisH - My hubby was a bit icked out at the thought of cutting the cord. I shook my head a tiny bit at it but was fine with him not cutting the cord if he wasn't comfortable doing it.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#5 of 8 Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Allisonrose, thanks for sharing.  Poor hubby, being put on the spot anyway...  Yet I wish mine felt the same ;-)

#6 of 8 Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM

You can google "sample birth plans."  Also, I think the Earth Mama Angel Baby website has a birth plan tool.

I think your idea of a short list is good - with the MOST important stuff.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
#7 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 AM

I like this post from Navelgazing Midwife about writing birth plans:

http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespace.com/navelgazing-midwife-blog/2008/10/25/updated-birth-plan-template.html

Married to C August 2007.  Son Ian born October 2008.  Son Owen born December 2010.  Daughter Naomi born October 2012.

#8 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM

whoops - double post

Married to C August 2007.  Son Ian born October 2008.  Son Owen born December 2010.  Daughter Naomi born October 2012.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page