What's the Dress Code for Having a Baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm planning to give birth at a free standing birth center.  They have gowns available, but suggest you will probably be more comfortable bringing your own clothing.

They have a very nice tub, so I'm thinking that perhaps I'll be in and out of that--which would suggest maybe just a camisole or a sports bra for the actual giving birth part.  Or maybe a gown to toss on when I get out of the tub?  But will I really be up for changing ensembles mid-labor?  I know there will reach a point when I don't care, but I'm just modest enough that I can't imagine myself being comfortable hanging out naked all day, particularly in the early stages of labor.

And then (for afterwards) I'd like to get something a little prettier, but still cotton-y and comfy.  I'm guessing I won't want/be able to wear pj pants at that point, which would be my normal go-to.  What about something like this maybe?  Has anyone tried them and feel like offering an opinion?

I know this is sort of a superficial question, but I'm going to have to buy something (all I sleep in at home are p.j. pants, camisoles, and t-shirts--and the t-shirts don't even fit so well anymore) so I don't want to get something that's ridiculously useless.  And I'm not a big fan of the oversized, shapeless sleepshirts, so I hate to spend $ on one of those, knowing I'll never wear it again.

Thoughts?

#2 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 PM

I had DS at a free standing birth center.

You'll probably wear whatever you are comfortable in. I wore a white "wife beater" tank top (husbands) and a pair of loose fitting gaucho pants and I think I wore a sports bra. It wasn't planned in the least.

I'd bought an extra large sleeveless top and sports bra (clasps in the front) to wear but never put it on.

Getting into and out of the tub I just wore the sports bra. At some point the wet fabric bothered me so I either went naked or put on another top.

Bottom line by the time you get to the point where you are able to get in the tub or need to change clothes you won't care what you're wearing.

For this birth I've bought a bikini top (again huge b/c my boobs will grow just before labor) but don't expect to wear it.

I've heard of women wearing jersey knit skirts. I found one at motherhood in the clearance rack a week or so ago so maybe that would work for you? (not in the tub though)

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#3 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 PM

I had my first in a hospital based birth center (although separated from the main hospital by an alarmed door).

Anyway, I started out in a plain nice shirt, went through most of my labor in that.

Got into the tub with it on (why?  I don't know), so when I got out after not liking it, it also went.  And I put on a hospital gown.

That didn't last.  As soon as I started pushing, I overheated and tore the gown off (literally) and delivered naked.

I wish I had gotten something that was nice and comfy but also roomy for afterwards.  What I had brought was too fitted and very uncomfortable for pulling up or down for nursing.

#4 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM

I'm birthing at home and pretty darn comfy with being naked, but even with that in mind i am planning on having a few things ready:

• a warm and a cool robe for the occasional covering up, both front opening so i can use them after birth to lounge and nurse.
  • i supportive sports bra type thing for the water birth, i really doubt i will want it, but in case i feel like my boobs are getting in my way or sore it might be nice to have, I'm looking again for a crossover model that i can use later for nursing
  • a few larger shirts, just t shirts, maybe one long sleeve to put on during slow times in case i get cold.
  • a wrap around skirt or something like that so i don't have to put my legs into something and get them back out.
  • good slip on fuzzy slippers
  • a yummy pair of socks for when I'm done
  • a comfy soft headband if my hair is bothering me and ponytails seem to not be working

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM

I heard good things about these in the past.

http://www.birthinbinsi.com/index.htm

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#6 of 19 Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 PM

I got some cheap sarongs online to wear while in labor with DD, easy to tie as a dress or a skirt with a cami.... I ended up in a cami & pj bottoms which I ditched when I got in the tub, but I loved the cami.  I used the sarong as a light blanket for me afterward because I was so hot and it was nice.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#7 of 19 Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 PM

With my first I used the hospital gown which was really uncomfortable so with my second I brought my own clothes. I just had a tank top with a built in bra and some stretchy old shorts. When I hit hard labor they were off really quick I was in and out of the tub so I spent a lot of my labor naked and not caring who saw. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#8 of 19 Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM

With my last I had her at a freestanding birth center.  When I arrived, I was already 10 cm, so I stripped naked and jumped in the tub.  I couldn't have cared less.  The only thing I was a bit disappointed about was not being able to share some of the wonderful pictures of immediately post-birth because my breasts were showing and my family would have been horrified.  So, I'm thinking with this one I will get some kind of bra like that birthing one in a previous post.  Afterwards, I just wore a pajama gown that had buttons down the front so I could nurse.  I got it from Target in the regular section, one size bigger than I normally wear.  It was a bit tight, but ok.  For going home, I bought a sundress (it was mid-summer in southern Texas). 

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#9 of 19 Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 AM

I wore a black swimsuit top (halter/tie, large enough to accommodate me). I obviously came in wearing a shirt, but when I got into the tub I had the swimsuit top. Can't remember what bottoms I had as I was just in and out of the tub. When getting out someone would bring me a towel if I needed it.

Changed into a comfy/baggy tshirt and sweats or something similar afterward. Just typical "PJs" for me.

#10 of 19 Old 12-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedMamma View Post

I wore a black swimsuit top (halter/tie, large enough to accommodate me). I obviously came in wearing a shirt, but when I got into the tub I had the swimsuit top. Can't remember what bottoms I had as I was just in and out of the tub. When getting out someone would bring me a towel if I needed it.

Changed into a comfy/baggy tshirt and sweats or something similar afterward. Just typical "PJs" for me.

This is a good idea and I have a halter type swimsuit. I am going to pack mine. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#11 of 19 Old 12-05-2010, 12:50 PM

My births were at home and not a birth center, but I usually wear a sports bra or bathing suit top and a light robe during labor.  (If you're doing a water birth, I prefer a swim suit top because they're easier to get off afterward and they don't feel as cold and sticky to you when you're in the water....not that you notice it too much since you're in la la land -- lol.  But, the moments after the baby is born, a swim suit top just feels a little more comfortable.)

Laboring in my robe:

Contraction (400x300).jpg

This is me about a half hour before a birth, right before I got in the pool:

Ella's Birth 2008.jpg

In the pool with just my top (so my boobs aren't hanging out in all the pictures I share -- lol lol.gif.  That being said, if you feel like going naked, just go naked.  Your comfort is most important!):

Laboring (400x320).jpg

Afterward, I recommend putting a nursing-type gown on.  I've put on a nursing top and a pair of loose shorts before, but I found that it as slightly annoying pulling on the shorts after giving birth.  It wasn't a major deal, but just an annoyance that I didn't really need - know what I mean?  So, I always try to do just a long shirt or gown type of thing.  It's also easier for when you have to go to the bathroom afterward, etc. 

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#12 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM

I am in the same situation. Remember that most things you wear during or directly after labor are likely to get stained. I am packing an old black cotton dress. It is shaped in a way that makes breastfeeding manageable. I also have a swim top, sports bra, and a few comfy tshirts for afterwards. 

#13 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Majamas sleepy dress in black if you're not getting wet.  I wore something like that and when I got in the tub I striped to a sports bra made with that dry weave stuff.  The first pics of my baby were a lot more acceptable to me because of the bra.

#14 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM

I just bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L2OI5I/ref=oss_product from Amazon.  I think it is cute and not hospital gowney.  It was $24 so not too bad if it does get stained.  I decided that I am against hospital gowns because I am not sick, I am having a baby. I think after I will change to a shirt and shorts.  I will also bring a little sweater just in case I get cold walking around. 

Big Momma

#15 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigfam View Post

I just bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L2OI5I/ref=oss_product from Amazon.  I think it is cute and not hospital gowney.  It was $24 so not too bad if it does get stained.  I decided that I am against hospital gowns because I am not sick, I am having a baby. I think after I will change to a shirt and shorts.  I will also bring a little sweater just in case I get cold walking around. 

Big Momma

Very pretty!!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#16 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM

and it comes in 3 colors. :)

#17 of 19 Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Wear something lose and comfortable.  You are probably not going to be comfortable in a sports bra.  Even though you are very modest, there is indeed a point where you probably won't care.  With my hospital births I brought nursing gowns.  They were lose, comfortable, and offered easy access.  For the birthing pool you probably want something more like a bikini or a loose fitting tank top.  I don't think I would be comfortable wearing a gown in the pool- it's going to get soaked and heavy.  Just don't bring anything that you are going to be devastated over if it gets stained up.  Most of my labor and even post birthing clothes have gotten stained.

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

#18 of 19 Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 PM

DDCC

I birthed at a free standing birth  center as well.  I didn't go to the place til I was ready to be in the tub (they were a 2 minute drive from the place I was staying at so going whenever i wanted was no issue hehe) so I was naked almost the entire time I was there.  I didn't even get dressed til I was getting ready to go home since it was easier for changing pads for the PP bleeding (just the weird undies to deal with) and to nurse kiddo especially since it was my very first nursing experience and I didn't want to deal with anything in the way.

I'm not very modest, but I also don't really like people seeing me naked... however I think active labor and pushing would have sucked for me wearing much.  If i were to have worn anything, it would have been a bikini top in tub and something loose and light/breathable out of it.  I labored in regular clothes by the way though... I went into labor in the morning and figured i'd be there for quite awhile so I just got dressed.  Early labor in regular clothes was fine... it was just active labor and pushing where I didn't want anything on.

#19 of 19 Old 12-18-2010, 09:21 PM

What about a nice robe that you can use after the baby is born for around the house?  You can ditch it when you get into the tub.  I have to say that I'm fairly modest and I could have cared less if the pope walked in on me naked while I was in labor.

I use the birth of a new baby to by a few nice pairs a yoga type pants for after.  (I delivered in a hospital, so I use them as PJs in the hospital).  Then I have an automatic wardrobe for the first few months of the baby's life when I'm too tired and chubby to wear real clothes.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page