Anyone else scheduled their c-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We scheduled my c-section today and it makes me a bit sad. I wanted a vbac but after some research and lot's of talking, I decided I'm not prepared emotionally for the possibility of it not working out. It just seems so weird to know what day and time I am going to have my baby. Anyone else scheduled?

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#2 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 PM

I am scheduled for the 14th. With two previous sections and a footling breech I just could not get around not scheduling. I do have a feeling though that this baby will decide to come before the date. It will still be section if that happens but at least the baby will pick the birthday.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#3 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
myk

my appointment is on friday, we'll decide on a date then. when i first got pg i really wanted a vbac, but they don't allow them in town. i had to face the touch choice of repeat c/s in my hometown, or go to the city (an hour away from my family, in january, in the middle of the snowstorm season..) to try for a vbac. it was really hard to decide, but my heart told me that going far away for what might not be a successful VBAC wasn't the right choice. i'd rather be close to my family. i'm even more confident about the choice now since she's breech and really settled down into my pelvis - my fundal height dropped 5 cm between my last two appointments! so, yeah, it's a bit odd but not a bad thing. i'm looking forward to having a date set so i don't have to wait and wonder as much. trying to look on the bright side and all :)

January 2011
#4 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM

I put mine on the books today too. With twin A being breech STILL we wanted to err on the side of caution - and I would rather have a controlled delivery as far as "controlled" goes, without going into labor and having to be rushed to the OR. HOWEVER, my doc is so wonderful that of course we still will do the U/S beforehand to see if baby A has flipped and if she has, she's going to sweep my cervix instead of giving me pitocin. While this isn't quite as natural as I would like, it is better than major surgery and worth just dealing with. Sometimes I wish that hospitals weren't such worrywarts about breech births, but I just want my babies here safe and sound. The good thing is, for the date that we scheduled I will be officially full term as far as a singleton goes - they didn't expect me to make it THIS far. Lots of little things to celebrate. >sigh<

Natashacd.gifafro.jpg - wife to Mr. Nicholes, mom to the Cellist(13) the Ladybug(4) and the Twizzlers (2)

#5 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM

if anyone of you would like your dates changed or a note added to the roster, just let me know over on that thread or in a PM. we are all rooting for you and for smooth births no matter the method!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM

I decided to schedule a repeat c.  After thinking about it for months, I think the feeling of being out of control at my last birth is what was so traumatic for me.  It wasn't so much the method of delivery as a feeling of panic and confusion if that makes any sense to anyone. 

December 20th for me.  I guess I joined the wrong due date club after all.  :)  I wasn't charting when I got preggo, but I had a short (24 day) cycle the month before and I've been pretty sure I was actually due in the 25-28th range.  The "wheel" said January 1, but I've always thought that was a little late.  Of course Christmas has a way of sneaking in there.  I had the choice of the 20th with my Doc and be home for Christmas or after Christmas with another doc as mine will be out of town.  After the traumatic birth I had last time, I really didn't want to go with an unfamiliar doc.  Baby is measuring a week ahead on ultrasound and my belly has been ahead.  I was actually dilated 1 cm at my appointment today.  I hope he hangs on for two weeks.  Scheduling and knowing when everything is going to happen in advance has really helped me feel better about this birth after my last experience. 

Of course I'm still totally terrified that something will be wrong and I'll have to go under general again.  I'm trying to stay positive.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#7 of 23 Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
myk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

if anyone of you would like your dates changed or a note added to the roster, just let me know over on that thread or in a PM. we are all rooting for you and for smooth births no matter the method!

you'll definitely be hearing from me on friday! :)

January 2011
#8 of 23 Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 AM

Glad to have found this thread!

I always assumed that in my next successful pregnancy I would go for a VBAC....but as things have progressed in this pregnancy(and with some of my medical issues) I decided that I wanted the RCS.  If I could be assured of a VBAC success, then I would go for it, but I cannot have a similar labor experience to my daughter only to end up with another section (on top of my fears from multiple previous losses, being on blood thinners and borderline GD).

Anyway, I am due 1/6, but have my RCS scheduled for 12/27 (38+4).  They could have done it on 12/23, but then I would have been in the hospital over Christmas, which I would like to avoid if possible!

Less than 3 weeks!!!

Anything special you ladies are doing to prepare for your c-section?

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#9 of 23 Old 12-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeg1973 View Post

Glad to have found this thread!

I always assumed that in my next successful pregnancy I would go for a VBAC....but as things have progressed in this pregnancy(and with some of my medical issues) I decided that I wanted the RCS.  If I could be assured of a VBAC success, then I would go for it, but I cannot have a similar labor experience to my daughter only to end up with another section (on top of my fears from multiple previous losses, being on blood thinners and borderline GD).

Anyway, I am due 1/6, but have my RCS scheduled for 12/27 (38+4).  They could have done it on 12/23, but then I would have been in the hospital over Christmas, which I would like to avoid if possible!

Less than 3 weeks!!!

Anything special you ladies are doing to prepare for your c-section?

Tracy

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing it at 38 plus a few because of Christmas.  You made me feel better!

I actually asked my doc if there is something I can take for nerves because I'm scared.  She said she could give me something to take before I leave the house.  I don't know what it is yet or if I'll actually take it, but it's nice to have the option if I'm freaking out that day.  Does anxiety medication count as something special?  ;)

#10 of 23 Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 PM

This may sound crazy, but I appreciate that I am not the only one a little bit frightened. It makes me feel normal - if that makes sense.

However, I am glad that I have a very soothing OB and that she is really, really, really, rooting for me to be able to birth naturally.

Natashacd.gifafro.jpg - wife to Mr. Nicholes, mom to the Cellist(13) the Ladybug(4) and the Twizzlers (2)

#11 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 PM

We're penciled in for Jan. 11th. This will be #4. I did try for a vbac with #2, but ended with an emerg. c due to placental abruption...so I think I've finally accepted that I will need a csection with this one. With #3 my ob at the time said I could have a TOL if I went into labor on my own, so I still held out hope. Um that just doesn't seem to happen with me...#2 was at 43 weeks.

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#12 of 23 Old 12-10-2010, 03:18 PM
myk

we're tentatively booked for the 13th. i'm not very happy about it - that's 39w1d, which i think is too far given my history (pre-e @37w with DD1.. major BH this pg, other stuff). i just don't think i'm going to make it that far. so if i go into labour on my own - i'll need to be sent to the city instead of my small town, and then i'll be away from my family in a busy hospital. i LOVE our small town hospital, everyone is friendly and with all my pg-related trips to the ER, i pretty much know half the docs and nurses there, and they're all phenomenal.

the doc took one look at me, realized i'm obese, and said i'm diabetic. i've taken the 1-hr test twice, and the 2-hr test once, and the latter of which was absolutely average. not high normal. not close to borderline. NORMAL. sure, it's surprising, but 3 different tests can't all be wrong (i've also been tested when non-pg every year because of family history, and i wasn't diabetic with DD1 either). and he says katie's 8 lbs already. hello? i'm 34 weeks. fetal assessment said i had a normal amount of amniotic fluid and a baby that's measuring 7-10d ahead. she's following her sister's growth pattern EXACTLY. they said DD1 would be huge. she was born at exactly 37w and was 7#11oz. big, yes, but not exactly a monster. for him to say that this baby is 8 lbs at 34w.. i'm sorry, i just don't buy it.

i'm frustrated. i feel like he wasn't listening to me, and now i'm dreading going into labour and ending up out of town, away from my family. if he was willing to book on january 6th instead everything would be different - i'd be more likely to make it that far. my mom would be able to be there (she goes back to work on the 7th). i could be in my hometown, assuming i'd make it to the scheduled date, which means my husband and daughter can come ANY TIME to see us. not to mention, i'd be in the hospital i'm most comfortable with. as it stands, i feel like i'm waiting to get sent away from my family instead of looking forward to family togetherness.

January 2011
#13 of 23 Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm confused, the doc said that you are diabetic, so he wants to take the baby late? totally doesn't make any sense-- and neither does ignoring all the diabetes tests that you took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post

we're tentatively booked for the 13th. i'm not very happy about it - that's 39w1d, which i think is too far given my history (pre-e @37w with DD1.. major BH this pg, other stuff). i just don't think i'm going to make it that far. so if i go into labour on my own - i'll need to be sent to the city instead of my small town, and then i'll be away from my family in a busy hospital. i LOVE our small town hospital, everyone is friendly and with all my pg-related trips to the ER, i pretty much know half the docs and nurses there, and they're all phenomenal.

the doc took one look at me, realized i'm obese, and said i'm diabetic. i've taken the 1-hr test twice, and the 2-hr test once, and the latter of which was absolutely average. not high normal. not close to borderline. NORMAL. sure, it's surprising, but 3 different tests can't all be wrong (i've also been tested when non-pg every year because of family history, and i wasn't diabetic with DD1 either). and he says katie's 8 lbs already. hello? i'm 34 weeks. fetal assessment said i had a normal amount of amniotic fluid and a baby that's measuring 7-10d ahead. she's following her sister's growth pattern EXACTLY. they said DD1 would be huge. she was born at exactly 37w and was 7#11oz. big, yes, but not exactly a monster. for him to say that this baby is 8 lbs at 34w.. i'm sorry, i just don't buy it.

i'm frustrated. i feel like he wasn't listening to me, and now i'm dreading going into labour and ending up out of town, away from my family. if he was willing to book on january 6th instead everything would be different - i'd be more likely to make it that far. my mom would be able to be there (she goes back to work on the 7th). i could be in my hometown, assuming i'd make it to the scheduled date, which means my husband and daughter can come ANY TIME to see us. not to mention, i'd be in the hospital i'm most comfortable with. as it stands, i feel like i'm waiting to get sent away from my family instead of looking forward to family togetherness.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#14 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM
myk

yup. the doc is convinced i'm diabetic. he wants the baby out at 39+1. doesn't make a lick of sense to me either!

apparently, he is THE expert in the province. my sister found out dr.so-and-so was doing the c/s and she was totally impressed. she WISHES she could get in to see him. she's the type of person that just wants the straight facts, no discussions, and probably wouldn't really care about his lack of bedside manners! me, i'm more of the type to say "you're part of my birth team". we talk. i ask lots of questions, you give me answers. and for the love of god, if you don't actually have my 75g GTT results in front of you, and i tell you the test was NORMAL, don't argue with me. if i tell you the fetal assessment results (amniotic fluid slightly generous but NORMAL, not even at the upper end of acceptable, baby measuring a little ahead just like her sister), don't poo-pooh what i say. you don't have it in front of you? then trust what i say. i've had MULTIPLE fetal assessments and they've all said everything is in the acceptable range. you don't have to be at the 50th percentile to be healthy for pete's sake.

and i LOVED it when he started walking out of the room before i even finished talking to him. i just said "i'm NOT finished yet. i have two fibroids and a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. can you take care of any of that stuff while you're at it?" his response? "oh, yeah those will make you bigger."

YOU THINK?! forget the 8 lb 34-weeker, she's not alone in there. if you're going on the size of my uterus, you're bound to be wrong. listen to what i said about the dang fetal assessment already.

January 2011
#15 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 AM

I have a silly question for ya'll.  Is there something special about the specific date you choose for your CS?  I mean, you're deciding the forever birth date for this child -- I would think that would feel like a big decision.  But maybe I'm over thinking it and being really lame -- lol.  lol.gif  I just know I would get all neurotic about it.  Feeling all this pressure and figuring out some numerical importance of a certain day or something.

Oh, and although I've never had a scheduled CS, I can understand how you would feel scared/nervous about the impending date.  If someone told me the date I was going to have my baby (even having it at home and not being fearful of birth at all)....I would still totally start to feel anxious and freak a bit.  It's this whole knowing this HUGE day is coming, counting down the hours, etc.  (And I'm not equating having a CS with natural child birth; I know there's much more for you to feel nervous about since it's a major surgery....I'm not belittling that in the least -- I hope that makes sense.)

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#16 of 23 Old 12-18-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post

I have a silly question for ya'll.  Is there something special about the specific date you choose for your CS?  I mean, you're deciding the forever birth date for this child -- I would think that would feel like a big decision.  But maybe I'm over thinking it and being really lame -- lol.  lol.gif  I just know I would get all neurotic about it.  Feeling all this pressure and figuring out some numerical importance of a certain day or something.

Oh, and although I've never had a scheduled CS, I can understand how you would feel scared/nervous about the impending date.  If someone told me the date I was going to have my baby (even having it at home and not being fearful of birth at all)....I would still totally start to feel anxious and freak a bit.  It's this whole knowing this HUGE day is coming, counting down the hours, etc.  (And I'm not equating having a CS with natural child birth; I know there's much more for you to feel nervous about since it's a major surgery....I'm not belittling that in the least -- I hope that makes sense.)

Regarding the date...the hospital gave me the choice of the 23rd or the 27th of December.  I chose the later simply because I did not want to be in the hospital on Christmas!  So, in this case there wasn't a whole lot of decision making that went into it.  I also kinda like the date because she has a cousin with the same birthday.

While I have some anxiety about the whole thing, overall, I feel much relief to have an actual date to look forward to.  Certainly not the reason for scheduling the section (scheduling due to medical reasons), but there is some comfort of knowing when things will happen.  With DD1 I had days of labor that finally ended in the section anyway...not something I really want to repeat.  I kept thinking the end had to be near, but it wasn't!  While I would cherish the experience of a vaginal birth (still secretly hoping she just might pop out on her own in the next day or two...wishful thinking!!!), I know having the RCS is the safest way to ensure that I actually get to bring home a healthy babe and mom at this point.

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#17 of 23 Old 12-18-2010, 09:11 AM

I'm hoping for a uneventful vaginal birth, but we have a induction of some type in our path if I don't spontaneously go into labor at 37w witch seems unlikely, so I am feeling strange about " picking a date" as well. Even if I know the day I start with natural induction will in no way will say what the end date will be, but it still makes me stare at the calendar way too much!

For me I think I'm just hoping to get as far away from the holiday as i can and still be safe about getting my babies out, so that is dominating my " what date" thoughts

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#18 of 23 Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 AM
myk

Quote:

i didn't pick the date, the doctor did. and it had to be a thursday because that's the only day he comes to town to do the surgery, otherwise he's in the big city. i would have picked the week prior. it's odd knowing the birth date ahead of time though, cause i'm like "egad! 26 days left!" totally don't feel ready.. but then, i'd probably be even more stressed about a natural birth cause that could come anytime. except i'm also stressed about the c/s recovery.. major surgery and all. really hard to put what i feel into words :)

January 2011
#19 of 23 Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM

Well my date was chosen because it was either the 20th with my doc and be out of the hospital for Christmas, or the 26th with another doctor as mine will be out of town.  I wanted to go with my doc so that made my decision. 

I will confess that I'm glad it's on an even numbered day.  That makes me insane, but I have a thing about odd numbers.  My last birth was on an odd numbered day.  The thought has crossed my mind that maybe an even day will make the process run more smoothly.  Wow! I sound nut.gif.

It's both calming and terrifying to know the day ahead of time.  On one hand, I feel like I can be totally prepared.  On the other hand, there's a constant countdown to the minute in my head.  

#20 of 23 Old 12-19-2010, 02:55 PM

There is for my lame husband LOL...he wants the date of 1/11/11...the problem I have with it, it isn't a normal surgery day for my Dr. ... which means the time wouldn't be scheduled until 72 hrs. prior and it wouldn't be in the morning. I don't want a afternoon or evening time so that I start to get nervous all day AND can't eat. I don't know, am I being a baby about the whole thing?? I just want one of the normal surgery days so I get to go right away in the morning...

Quote:

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11
#21 of 23 Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justduckyangie View Post

There is for my lame husband LOL...he wants the date of 1/11/11...the problem I have with it, it isn't a normal surgery day for my Dr. ... which means the time wouldn't be scheduled until 72 hrs. prior and it wouldn't be in the morning. I don't want a afternoon or evening time so that I start to get nervous all day AND can't eat. I don't know, am I being a baby about the whole thing?? I just want one of the normal surgery days so I get to go right away in the morning...

Quote:

Mine wanted 1/11/11 too. He was really annoyed when the doctor said the earliest he would schedule me was the 13th. Origionally they were going to schedule 2 weeks prior to my edd but changed it to 1 week, so the fact that he wouldnt bump it two days made him irked. Oh well. I have a feeling I'm going before the 13th though, in which case, I have no idea what to expect. I keep having these feelings that im going to go into labor and end up having vaginal delivery.

Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
#22 of 23 Old 12-20-2010, 03:22 PM
myk

me too! actually nobody that knows me thinks i'll make it to the 13th.. i've had SO many braxton hicks.. other difficulties.. i'm fingertip dilated as of last wednesday, which didn't happen with DD1 (who made it to 37w before i had pre-E). everything just seems to point to "get ready by new years". but the OB wouldn't schedule before the 13th, i'm due on the 19th. grumble grumble..

January 2011
#23 of 23 Old 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Well the doctors office called earlier. I am scheduled for January 13th, 2011.

Engaged to my soulmate Thomas ...mom to Benjamin (11) Savannah (under a year) , and expecting Henry (January 21, 2011 )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page