Where to buy cloth diapers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Upcycled wool is really pretty cheap, especially considering that it can be reused for a while before you really have to wash it. These Etsy shops have some really adorable and affordable longies and soakers:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Forty41

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rebourne

And this woman sells pretty cool wool stuff through her Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/White.Elephants.Creations?ref=ts#!/White.Elephants.Creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post

Bum Genious. I think the baby will be on the big side so I don't worry about him being too tiny. His brother was 8pds12oz and skipped the newborn size of the disposable ones.

I am trying to find used ones or seconds but no luck so far, just the ones I've got and they are in really nice condition. I might just start with disposable ones until I get what I need.

And the wool covers are so expensive! My grandmom, God rest her soul, would've killed me if she new I pay this money for panties that she used to knit for a day:)

Unfortunatelly, I don't have anybody now who is so handy. So Ebay and Craigslist are my places. I looked through other sites that were mentioned here and there seem to have some good seconds prices.

#32 of 37 Old 12-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post

are any of you canadian? i've checked out some popular sites for CDs but the american ones charge crazy shipping (which isn't surprising, cause it's an international postage thing). i've got one place in mind, but they don't carry all the stuff i see recommended here.

I've come across this store before, and they seem to have a pretty good selection:

http://www.bynature.ca/baby/cloth-diapers/cloth-diapers.html

ETA: I've also been wanting to try these pocket dipes, made in Canada by a WAHM:

http://www.clothbytel.com/

#33 of 37 Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 AM

You need around 8-10 covers to go with prefolds. Pockets are not technically covers. They are technically a type of diaper that you can stuff with whatever you want, but you can't use the cover over and over like with other covers. I've been able to get by with 30 diapers, washing every other day or sometimes more often depending how much baby uses. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post

Bum Genious. I think the baby will be on the big side so I don't worry about him being too tiny. His brother was 8pds12oz and skipped the newborn size of the disposable ones.

I am trying to find used ones or seconds but no luck so far, just the ones I've got and they are in really nice condition. I might just start with disposable ones until I get what I need.

And the wool covers are so expensive! My grandmom, God rest her soul, would've killed me if she new I pay this money for panties that she used to knit for a day:)

Unfortunatelly, I don't have anybody now who is so handy. So Ebay and Craigslist are my places. I looked through other sites that were mentioned here and there seem to have some good seconds prices.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#34 of 37 Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I guess my only thing is that I don't want to buy a lot of diff types in a smaller size & wasting part of them.  I'm going to keep looking on craigslist & if I ever get approved on freecycle I'll look there too.  I don't think I'm as concerned w/ using them at the beginning that much. So I'm thinking maybe the bungenius will work-I keep hearing good things about them. But I see that they offer all in one or one-size. I see people selling them online & think they are all in ones. I'm assuming if it's an AIO you don't put anything in them, but u have to wash the whole thing. Is this less economical but easier to change & doesn't leak...?

So you only do prefolds if you do covers on top of them?

What do you stuff inside of a pocket? A liner...?

I saw that PP said you need 8-10 covers, so that sounds like maybe you get to use a cover twice before needing to be washed...?

And what's the difference b/w 3.0 and 4.0 etc.?  Does that just mean it's the more updated version the higher the number, like computer software? haha

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
#35 of 37 Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post

are any of you canadian? i've checked out some popular sites for CDs but the american ones charge crazy shipping (which isn't surprising, cause it's an international postage thing). i've got one place in mind, but they don't carry all the stuff i see recommended here.

There is a local online diaper store here in Vancouver, but I don't know if that would help with shipping charges to MB.  http://www.newandgreen.com/

There has to be a store in Winnipeg, though, right??? I mean, that may not be that close to you, but maybe they'd be able to point you towards best shipping rates?? 

#36 of 37 Old 12-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Replies in bold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post

I guess my only thing is that I don't want to buy a lot of diff types in a smaller size & wasting part of them.  I'm going to keep looking on craigslist & if I ever get approved on freecycle I'll look there too.  I don't think I'm as concerned w/ using them at the beginning that much. So I'm thinking maybe the bungenius will work-I keep hearing good things about them. But I see that they offer all in one or one-size. I see people selling them online & think they are all in ones. I'm assuming if it's an AIO you don't put anything in them, but u have to wash the whole thing. Is this less economical but easier to change & doesn't leak...?  Their Organics are all in one.  That is what I use, sometimes you see BGO.  They wash up easy, but take a little longer to dry, no leaks.  BG 3.0, 4.0 are pockets.  You do have to stuff them, and natural fibers like cotton, hemp, etc are a lot less smelly than the mibrofiber insterts.

So you only do prefolds if you do covers on top of them?  *I* personally use Thirsties Duos for covers, they are not one size, but rather two size... so 2 sizes will replace the 4 usually used for diapering.  Some other mamas use wool or fleece covers.

What do you stuff inside of a pocket? A liner...?  Inserts.  Some mamas use prefolds too.  Like I said before, natural fibers are easier to clean than man made.

I saw that PP said you need 8-10 covers, so that sounds like maybe you get to use a cover twice before needing to be washed...?  Rule of thumb is you can reuse them as long as baby does not soak or soil them.  For us, I can rotate 2-3 covers for all the diaper changes for that day.

And what's the difference b/w 3.0 and 4.0 etc.?  Does that just mean it's the more updated version the higher the number, like computer software? haha  Yup, just the updates version, usually they improve some sort of the design, and usually it is pretty small.  ;)

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#37 of 37 Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post

I saw that PP said you need 8-10 covers, so that sounds like maybe you get to use a cover twice before needing to be washed...?  Rule of thumb is you can reuse them as long as baby does not soak or soil them.  For us, I can rotate 2-3 covers for all the diaper changes for that day.

I was the one recommending the covers. I found those recommendations on cloth diaper sites. They are the recommendations for the newborn time when baby seems to soil pretty often and many times it'll get on the cover, especially if you use prefolds or contours. If nice non- poop-leaking fitteds are used then you could probably get by with 6. And I was thinking if the plan is to wash every other day. Once the runny poo stage is passed, fewer covers are needed. With recommendation being between 4-6 covers, though I'd prefer to have too many than too few. HTH

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page