Where to buy cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I didn't do them last time but I really want to try them w/ this one.  I'm not really sure of all the different types or how to clean them myself, but I figure I need to first focus on getting them.  Any websites anyone can share?  I think we're just going to use disposables in the beginning-like the first month or 2.  TIA!

Monica-28, DH, Andrew-29 DS-almost 3, DD born 1/13/2011.
SAHM. BF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 PM

DDCC

Cloth diapers are pretty easy honestly. I think you would actually like starting them even earlier than you are planning. You might try the cloth for $10 thing to get an idea about different types. 

I personally really like...

Thirsties and bummies super brite covers because of the double gussets. They keep in newborn poo better than sposies by far.

I really like contour diapers as well. I personally have the imse vimse one-size contours and those can fit from around 8 lbs to 35 lbs. 

Prefolds with a snappi can be a good cheap foot in the door too. I'd recommend some doublers though. 

HTH and trust me, cloth is much better than sposies especially in the beginning. It's much better than having to change a baby's clothes because they pooped through their sposie. Especially in the middle of the night. Ugh. :)

I really like this website...

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/

I ordered my contours at  because they hardly ever have them in stock at the other website.

http://www.imsevimse.us/

Love this site for reviews...

http://diaperpin.com/diapers/diaperpages.asp

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 PM

Disclaimer: I am not an expert!  :)

We used prefolds and covers almost exclusively during the day and pockets at night with DD.  I have bought new from greenmountaindiapers.com and kellyscloset.com, but there are lots and lots of stores out there.  I also traded used diapers with other moms as DD grew.  I think the first thing you need to decide is what kinds of diapers do you want to try?  Will your DC be in a daycare situation that would mandate no cloth diapers or a specific type of diaper? 

Prefolds and covers are probably the cheapest to get started, but they are also have a little higher learning curve because of the folding/contouring and snappis/pins and time to put it on during which the baby is squiggling around.  Still, I used them from birth with my first, and it was fine.  We used mainly polyurethane-line ("PUL") covers (Thirsties last time, trying some new brands this time), which are less likely to leak but also less likely to breathe.  We kept a few wool (all WAHM brands) and fleece covers (Stacinator - LOVE these!) on hand for rashy times.  Wool is nice but requires different care than others, because most wool can't be washed in a machine.  OTOH, wool is naturally germ-inhibiting, and you don't have to wash it as frequently unless it gets poo on it.  A wet wool cover can just be aired dry without smells or any other problems.

There are also fitteds and covers, which does away with the need for folding and snappis or pins.  You still need a cover over these.  No experience using them.

We used the pocket system (BumGenius) for overnights, which is basically a double-layered diaper with PUL outer and soft wicking material for the inner.  It has a hole where you stuff an insert (which they come with if you buy a major brand) or you can also stuff with a prefold.  The advantage of this system is that you can take the pieces apart for washing and drying (dries faster) and it is "friendlier" to use because it is similar to disposables.  Also, with BumGenius, it is a "one-size;" has a series of snaps to allow the diaper to be used for different sizes/weights/ages.  A lot of people don't like one-size diapers, but these worked for us overnight from birth to potty training at 2.  DD was 7 lb 2 oz at birth.

Another system is the all-in-one ("AIO") diaper, which is similar to a pocket, but it is all sewed in together instead of the insert being removable.  This is the ultimate "disposable-like" diaper.  You put it on and take it off just like a disposable.  I have heard that some people don't like this system because it takes longer to dry or because with their washing system/water, it retains smells more easily.  I don't have any experience with AIOs.

Feel free to ask any questions ... again, I am not an expert, but I would be willing to share my experience!  It's really not so hard.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 PM

If you are interested in cloth diapers, and you're not too sure what kind you might want to try, you can also look around on craigslist -  at least in my area, cloth diapering is a pretty popular option, and it seems like there are lots of people selling used diapers.   

I just scored a huge big bag of all kinds of different diapers (some BumGenius, some bummis whisper wraps and about 20 prefolds, as well as a snappi, and an assortment of different types/materials of inserts) for $5.   Yes, they are used - the woman I had bought them from had bought some of them used as well, so you can definitely see the wear on some of the velcro tabs, but I'm planning on buying my own stash once I know what it is that I really want to use, so this is perfect for us - plus, I figure that even if I don't wind up using them as diapers, having a stash of prefolds around will be great for burp clothes/rags etc - and probably worth the $5 investment. Heck, Snappis sell here for, like, $3.95.... 

Many cloth diapering supply places seem to have rental kits to try out a bunch of different kinds of diapers as well, but in my experience, they are sold out awfully quickly, so I wasn't able to go that route - you might have better luck in a different area. It's another thing to check out.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Well, in answer to your question of where to get them, I always suggest first time cloth users try to find a local shop near you so you can feel and see the different varieties.  The people who work at those stores are usually very helpful and can answer all of your questions, too. 

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I will be staying at home, so no daycare issues.  Ideally I'd like whatever is more cost efficient. But if the cheaper cloth diapers are more difficult to clean then it wouldn't necessarily be worth it.  I guess the best idea would probably just buy something that's easy so I can tell if it will work for our family. So if we just spend a lil bit getting started & see how we like one type, we can go from there. Hubby says he's all for it, but I think whatever is easiest might help him feel less intimidated...and me too.  I'll check out craigslist. I don't know of any supply places in the area, but I havent really looked.

So AIO...u buy those in lots of different sizes?

But if you do separate items u can use the cloth for a long time, but just buy covers in different sizes? I feel like such a dummy b/c I'm lost but I really do want to learn and be able to do it. For economic & environmental reasons. :)

SAHM. BF
Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Also, a lot of websites have a "try me" option, where they send you a large variety for you to try for x weeks with a deposit, and then you can either send them back and receive store credit (or a partial refund), or keep them.  I have never used this option, but I did a quick yahoo search and found several retailers who do this:  http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=try+it+cloth+diaper&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

Personally, I got a bunch used on diaperswappers.com.  I will use fitteds & prefolds with covers until baby bird-legs fills out a bit, then I will use pockets and Bum Genius Organic AIOs which are AWESOME, but a bit spendier, so I will supplement with other cheaper options.  This will be my third baby I will Cloth Diaper and I am hoping this baby will leave the hospital in cloth.  I waited until the 2nd week with DD, and about a month with DS.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post

I will be staying at home, so no daycare issues.  Ideally I'd like whatever is more cost efficient. But if the cheaper cloth diapers are more difficult to clean then it wouldn't necessarily be worth it.  I guess the best idea would probably just buy something that's easy so I can tell if it will work for our family. So if we just spend a lil bit getting started & see how we like one type, we can go from there. Hubby says he's all for it, but I think whatever is easiest might help him feel less intimidated...and me too.  I'll check out craigslist. I don't know of any supply places in the area, but I havent really looked.

But if you do separate items u can use the cloth for a long time, but just buy covers in different sizes? I feel like such a dummy b/c I'm lost but I really do want to learn and be able to do it. For economic & environmental reasons. :)

Most cost efficient generally will be prefolds (chinese prefolds or indian prefolds ... not the kind you buy in box stores, like gerber) or fitteds and covers.  Unless you score an awesome deal like expat_canuck!  They are also probably the easiest to clean, since all the pieces are separate, although I haven't found that my pockets are any harder to clean than my prefolds and covers.  With prefolds and covers, I used the same PUL cover with a fresh prefold for just wet diapers for a whole day, or until it got pooped on.  With a pocket, you have to change the whole diaper with every wet or poopy diaper change. 

If you go the prefolds/cover route, you will need to buy a new stash of prefolds for different sizes/ages as well as new covers, but again, they are cheaper per diaper than the fancier systems.  There are some one-size ("OS") covers with snaps that allow the diaper to expand for bigger babies, but I don't know how well they work.  I bought several this time around, so we'll see.  Also, I would highly recommend using a snappi instead of pins.  It's much easier, especially if you don't have any experience cloth diapering.

For AIOs, yes, you will need to buy new diapers in each size.

If you are considering buying used diapers, I second the recommendation for diaperswappers.com.  They have some pretty good deals.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Maine Cloth Diaper Co. is a great resource.

They have Tons of kinds and the owner is pretty well versed in about everything having to do with cloth diapers. She will give lessons, whether on line, over the phone or in person.

They have a great website too.

I used prefolds, and loved them. They cleaned easily and weren't complicated.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica82 View Post

Prefolds and covers are the cheapest option and wash very easily.  I never had any stink issues with my prefolds, but I did have some problems with the manmade fibers that are used in pockets.  I found prefolds are pretty easy to learn with a newborn because they don't move around a lot and by the time they get wiggly, you have figured out how to them on quickly.  :P  That being said, I did use pocket diapers (a mixture of Green Acre Designs, Bum Genius ver 1, and Wonderoos (not made anymore)) with my toddlers.  

For covers, I prefer gussets because my kids are skinny--I'm planning on Bummis super brights & Thirsties Duo covers for Micah when he gets home.  The Duo covers are a two size system and I was told that the size 1 fit small babies better than other one-sized covers.  For prefolds, I am starting with preemie prefolds and I have infant and regular sized ones for as he grows.  You could probably get away with starting with infant prefolds.  I prefer unbleached because they are softer.  I have heard good things about Green Mountain Diapers' prefolds and if I were buying new, I would buy from there.  They are sized a bit differently are are supposed to fit better without having to fold the top down.  The store where I tend to buy quite a bit is Cottonbabies.com .

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM

When cottonbabies came out with their econobum diapers ($~50 for 12 one size prefolds and 3 one size covers - the best deal I've seen for new diapers), I bought a box, and I've been very pleased with them - for most purposes I like them better than my pocket diapers.  But I didn't get them until my DS was already a year old, so I don't know how they'll be with a newborn.  I wonder if the one-size prefold will be too bulky (though what does a newborn care about a bulky diaper?), and worry that the covers will get poop on them at every feeding (though not every newborn poops as frequently as my first did).

Married to C August 2007.  Son Ian born October 2008.  Son Owen born December 2010.  Daughter Naomi born October 2012.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
myk

first, try your local secondhand stores. yesterday i snagged a Bummis Super Brite ($15 in stores here) for $1.

second, go to the local diaper or baby specialty stores and see what's available, which will give you a good ideas of what designs you like.

go to the diapering section here, there are many suggestions for where to order online for cheaper :)

January 2011
Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I still think I have a ton to learn & not sure what we're going to go with. But I definitely think I've decided we are going to try cloth diapers, at least after the first month. Now I'm just looking on craigslist & I'll check the consignment stores. That way at least I'm not paying shipping or buying a ton of one brand/type that I don't like.

How much should I be paying if I'm buying from someone or a used store??

SAHM. BF
Old 12-09-2010, 08:09 AM

"How much should I be paying if I'm buying from someone or a used store??"

That'll depend on the diaper. It'd be wise to research to see what many different ones typically cost so you know you are getting a good deal.

I recently found some Kissaluvs hybrid one-size contours that look super interesting. Contours are great. You could look and see if they'd be of interest. They cost around 11 dollars each. I'm thinking of getting those, some prefolds, and some covers for a friends baby shower. I've never tried them as I have the imse vimse contours but the kissaluvs look like they'd be more absorbent than the imse vimses.

I noticed the kissaluvs at cotton babies website and Thanks Mama's website. They are both cloth diaper shops online.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM

I manage a cloth diaper store and have done it for 3 kids and 7.5 years so far.  I am happy to answer any questions you may have.  I find this is helpful for beginners.  Please feel free to PM me.  Sometimes I miss posts in the forums.  :)

Susan~Mama to Atticus (2003), Creeley (2005), Townsyn (2007) and a fourth boy on the way in 2011!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

thank u for your help ladies-u all are too sweet!  I've been searching brands online to compare what they go for there & see what people are selling for on craigslist.  I couldn't figure out how much bumgenius were. someone was selling for $13 a piece-which is the highest i've seen any go for. i'm def going to the local store to get some ideas. I'm one of those people that asks a million questions-haha! I try to understand something if I'm going to be a part of it if that makes any sense.

SAHM. BF
Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM

Well, a brand new BG 4.0 is around $18 online.  I would say that $13 is a decent price, for an excellent used condition BG 4.0 with insert.  There are earlier versions of the BG (which I like just as well).  The older versions, or an older/more heavily used diaper, or a diaper with "issues" (snaps missing, velcro not working as well, elastic stretched out, etc) should sell for less, probably closer to $10 or less depending on the severity.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 AM

All you have to do is go snooping around through the online cloth diaper stores and you'll get an idea for prices. I personally only like diapers or covers with double leg gusset to contain blowouts. I've not been successful with anything else. Maybe the old dream-eze AIO's could handle a blowout, but I haven't tried it yet so wouldn't say for sure. That's about the only single gusset diaper I've ever liked. I haven't tried all diaper though so who knows...

Check this for reviews...

http://diaperpin.com/home.asp

I might have put it already but can't remember, but anyway, it's a really good review site. You get to know the good and the bad of most diapers. Sometimes if something is newer though, the reviews can be skewed. I prefer to go after things that are tried-and-true, but that's just my thoughts. HTH

Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM

Hey Mama, 

Good luck to you in your cloth diapering efforts! I've built a little stash of cloth diapers (okay, maybe not so little!) for my baby on the way.

if you don't need your diapers to be new you can save a lot. I picked up a collection of good quality bummi's whisper wraps at at a garage sale, and found tons of prefold (you know, the flat quilted kind.) very cheaply on craigslist.

Then I found that some of my local consignment stores sold good quality gently used cloth diapers like fuzzibunz, bumgenuis, etc. Just check the elastic to make sure it's still springy and give it a sniff check. :)

I am also a fan of www.swapmamas.com and there is also http://www.diaperswappers.com

I see a ton of website and brand suggestions here, so I won't repeat them.

I know a lot of cloth diapering families and they all swear by different brands. Some love prefolds with wool or waterproof covers, some like the style that fit an infant to a toddler like bum genius or happy heinys, some love the diapers with a pocket that can be stuffed with as much absorbency as needed like fuzzibunz, and some like all in one diapers that closely resemble a disposable, but I find these take a while to dry, like thirtsies fab fitteds. 

The big idea is to consider getting a few diapers in all sorts of styles. You can't know yet what will be a good fit for your baby's body or your family's needs. :) I'm looking forward to "the experiment" with our little one. 

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiewik View Post

Hey Mama, 

Good luck to you in your cloth diapering efforts! I've built a little stash of cloth diapers (okay, maybe not so little!) for my baby on the way.

if you don't need your diapers to be new you can save a lot. I picked up a collection of good quality bummi's whisper wraps at at a garage sale, and found tons of prefold (you know, the flat quilted kind.) very cheaply on craigslist.

Then I found that some of my local consignment stores sold good quality gently used cloth diapers like fuzzibunz, bumgenuis, etc. Just check the elastic to make sure it's still springy and give it a sniff check. :)

I am also a fan of www.swapmamas.com and there is also http://www.diaperswappers.com

I see a ton of website and brand suggestions here, so I won't repeat them.

I know a lot of cloth diapering families and they all swear by different brands. Some love prefolds with wool or waterproof covers, some like the style that fit an infant to a toddler like bum genius or happy heinys, some love the diapers with a pocket that can be stuffed with as much absorbency as needed like fuzzibunz, and some like all in one diapers that closely resemble a disposable, but I find these take a while to dry, like thirtsies fab fitteds. 

The big idea is to consider getting a few diapers in all sorts of styles. You can't know yet what will be a good fit for your baby's body or your family's needs. :) I'm looking forward to "the experiment" with our little one. 

Good luck!

i think if you are totally new, it wouldn't hurt to try out many different varieties. When i started out with ds at 10 months a tried a little of everything, and while i did like the all in 1 diapers, they take a lot longer to dry and then when we moved and we got a front loader they never seemed to get clean, so now with #2 i know to avoid these. I am building a stash of pocket diapers, prefolds, covers, and contours/fitteds that i make myself or can get cheaply.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 PM

How  many preforlds and covers do you think I will need? I've already got few, 5-6 covers and I think 8-9 prefolds but I'm sure that's not enough. How many do you have to take you through 2-3 days without washing? 

Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

5-6 covers should be good (are they all small or NB sized?), as you can re-use these throughout the day as long as they don't actually get soiled. Most of the covers I have (some NB Proraps and Thirsties Size 1) have exposed PUL, which is really shiny and non-absorbant. The insides can be wiped or rinsed off if minor messes get through the PF. 

For prefolds, I think 12-18 per day is the typical estimate for newborn diaper changes. So, if you'd want to go two days between washing, you should have about 2-3 dozen PFs at a minimum. I got seconds prefolds pretty cheap from Little Lions (http://www.little-lions.com/page50.html), and I know that Green Mountain also has seconds on hand pretty often. As far as I could tell, the only thing that makes the seconds is that the stitching is sloppy in some places.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 AM

THe very best place to start is to try and find a local boutique that sells cloths diapers. The staff there can really help you decide what's best for you, becuase there can be an overwhelming number of choices.  If there isn't one in your area then an online store that sells mostly cloth diapers and related products is your best choice. 

There happens to be a local boutiqe in my area but they also have a website: http://www.sweetheartdiapers.com

Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Thank you! I will get few more prefolds. My covers are the pocket type, one size, so I am hoping to last me until potty training. I've read with the pocket types that you have to wash them as well, because they get soiled. So I might get 3-4 covers just to have extra. I'll check out the sites you gave for seconds, it sounds like a good idea.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post

Thank you! I will get few more prefolds. My covers are the pocket type, one size, so I am hoping to last me until potty training. I've read with the pocket types that you have to wash them as well, because they get soiled. So I might get 3-4 covers just to have extra. I'll check out the sites you gave for seconds, it sounds like a good idea.

What are pocket-type covers?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Yup, pockets get put in the pail with every changing.  I may caution you that a lot of babies don't really fit into OS or pocket dipes until 9-10lbs.  What brand are they?

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Hey Monica,

DDC crashing to say as another Columbus mom-to-be, I'm really psyched that Sprout Soup, the natural family/baby store in Clintonville, offers cloth diapering classes (http://www.sproutsoup.com/home.php). It's only $10 per couple, and then after the class you get the $10 refunded as store credit. I'm definitely planning to do it a couple months down the road, because I want to cloth diaper but all the different options, not to mention the day-to-day how-to details, are overwhelming me.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Bum Genious. I think the baby will be on the big side so I don't worry about him being too tiny. His brother was 8pds12oz and skipped the newborn size of the disposable ones.

I am trying to find used ones or seconds but no luck so far, just the ones I've got and they are in really nice condition. I might just start with disposable ones until I get what I need.

And the wool covers are so expensive! My grandmom, God rest her soul, would've killed me if she new I pay this money for panties that she used to knit for a day:)

Unfortunatelly, I don't have anybody now who is so handy. So Ebay and Craigslist are my places. I looked through other sites that were mentioned here and there seem to have some good seconds prices.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Bum Genious. I think the baby will be on the big side so I don't worry about him being too tiny. His brother was 8pds12oz and skipped the newborn size of the disposable ones.

I am trying to find used ones or seconds but no luck so far, just the ones I've got and they are in really nice condition. I might just start with disposable ones until I get what I need.

And the wool covers are so expensive! My grandmom, God rest her soul, would've killed me if she new I pay this money for panties that she used to knit for a day:)

Unfortunatelly, I don't have anybody now who is so handy. So Ebay and Craigslist are my places. I looked through other sites that were mentioned here and there seem to have some good seconds prices.

I hear Rocky Mountain Diapers and Rumparoos also get small enough for a NB and they are OS dipes.  I had the most luck on DiaperSwappers.com.  BGs start fitting really good at around 10lbs, but will go on without leaking, just a ton of bulk, around 7-8lbs, so you should be fine.  I LOVE the BG organic one size dipes, but my babies are so little I don't expect they will fit until about the 3rd month so I am just sticking with a small stash of fitteds, prefolds, and covers until we meet our new little one.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 PM
myk

are any of you canadian? i've checked out some popular sites for CDs but the american ones charge crazy shipping (which isn't surprising, cause it's an international postage thing). i've got one place in mind, but they don't carry all the stuff i see recommended here.

January 2011

User Tag List