I think I am getting a homebirth - yea! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At 35 weeks I am making the switch! AGH! I just couldn't bear the thought of getting ivs and being monitored because I am a vbac and *old* LOL. My biggest hurdle was we need it to be covered by insurance, DH would not agree unless it was. I was told no when I called, but the midwife office called for me and YES it is, as long as it is with a CNM.

So I found the only one, she is willing to take me on. Wow, I can't believe it. I am excited and a little scared....but after my trip to l&D (and I still have a bruise on my entire forearm from the iv I had for only 2 hours) I do not want to be hooked up to machines *if* they even let me TOL, and I was fearful they were looking for a reason not to. Plus if I do have to transfer, the hospital that the CNM goes to is probably 10 minutes closer than the one I was currently going to. Still it will be 40 minutes or so, but that is better than 50-60 minutes.

I am so nervous and excited.

Now I have to call the other midwife I met with and tell her that I can't use her. I feel bad, because she was so helpful, but Dh would not be on board unless we went through insurance. : ( 

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#2 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM

joy.gif How wonderful!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!! Way to go mama!!!!

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#3 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Hooray!!  It is going to be great!!

#4 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 12:19 PM

I'm so happy that you now have a birth path that will meet your needs.  What are you nervous and scared about?  I encourage you to explore those feelings so you can be as fully present and prepared for the birth as possible.

On a completely biased note, I'm excited you're having a home birth!  I can't wait for you to experience it!  joy.gif

Angela -- mama to Jack (11/03), Adeline (6/06), Ella (11/08), and William (1/11). Accredited Leader: Attachment Parenting International of Orange County.h20homebirth.giffly-by-nursing2.gif homeschool.gif
#5 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM

This is wonderful news!!!!  My best birth was my home birth, even though I was nervous too.  I think once you start exploring your feelings, talking to your midwife and reading the studies you will feel wonderful about this!  Can you get to the library and start reading Ina May Gaskin's books?  I also loved the book The Baby Catcher.  Henci Goer also has some well researched books that I admit, I just skimmed.  ;)

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#6 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 12:50 PM

Congratulations!  What great news. I am so jealous!  I wish I could have my VBAC at home.  As it is, I'm thankful I found a doctor and a hospital that will allow VBAC that just so happens to be across the street.  I think it's wonderful and wish you the best.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#7 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Congrats! Can I ask who you are seeing, I'm in the general area so just curious where everyone is going.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Birthing From Within really helped me explore my feelings about my homebirth, and helped me release the fears I had.

#9 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

Congrats! Can I ask who you are seeing, I'm in the general area so just curious where everyone is going.

Alternative Birth Choices.  I had another DEM option. If somehow she gets insurance to get it covered, I may stick with her. I don't know yet. But anyway Evelyn was the closest in my insurance plan.

#10 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Wonderful news!  That is great that you were able to find a solution both you and your DH are comfortable with!

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#11 of 13 Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeljur View Post

I'm so happy that you now have a birth path that will meet your needs.  What are you nervous and scared about?  I encourage you to explore those feelings so you can be as fully present and prepared for the birth as possible.

On a completely biased note, I'm excited you're having a home birth!  I can't wait for you to experience it!  joy.gif

The funny thing is, before my first birth I had no worries. Maybe that is why I was a little to trusting. But after an OP baby that HURT and epi that didn't really do much for the pain, and then all the crap that happened with the c-section (OB  nicked my bladder and then feel on me - she was on a stool that came out from under her, got sick from the drugs, etc) now I know what can go wrong.

and then the %$#@ medwife who started going on and on about my age and having a stillborn, that is my fear. Although I know that can happen in a hospital too. I mean really the only emergency would be a UR, but I am more likely to get that at the hospital because I know they will use pitocin. I guess all of them aren't really fears.

I have read Ina May, seen the Business of Being Born, read many books on natural child birth, but it's hard to get something out of your head, like all the horror stories people tell you and then say "I am so glad I was in the hospital or I could have died"

#12 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM

joy.gif

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#13 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Congrats!! Hope everything works out, very exciting! thumb.gif

~~Angie~~
mom to Alona 12, Olivia 8, Ivy 3 , angel3.gif1/19/09 & Natalia Quinn 1.10.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page